Washington, DC — As World Bank approves US$50 million Additional Funding for Urban Water Project
The Board of Directors of the World Bank today approved an additional financing of US$50 million to the Government of Ghana, as a supplement to the ongoing Urban Water Project being financed by the Bank with a US$103 million grant.
The facility will help to complete the original project activities that have suffered from unanticipated cost overruns and financing gap of about US$42 million; and implement an additional lot of works that would scale up the project's impact to deprived areas at a cost of US$8 million.
Specifically the facility will fund outstanding works in the Brong Ahafo (Berekum) and Upper East Regions (Bawku and Navrongo), for which tender documents already exist. The Berekum works consist of boreholes, a potable water plant to remove iron and disinfect water, two elevated storage tanks and water distribution pipes. The Navrongo works consist of boreholes, a booster pump station, two elevated storage tanks and water distribution pipes. The Bawku works also consist of boreholes, a potable water plant, two elevated storage tanks and water distribution pipes.
Also, additional funds will be allocated for the expansion and improvement, in the Central Region, to the Winneba water distribution network that serves several surrounding communities, including: Apam, Ankamu, Mprumem, Mankoadze, Ankaful, Pomadze and Okyereko. The additional works will consist of the rehabilitation and extension of water distribution pipes and the construction of a new elevated water tank and a booster pump station.
Increasing access to improved water supply remains a priority for the Government of Ghana. While significant efforts have been made over the past decade to make potable water more accessible and affordable to Ghana's ever growing urban centers, much more remains to be done to provide water to people, particularly those in low income areas who usually buy it from vendors at a very high price.
According to Ventura Bengoechea, Task Team Leader of the Urban Water Project, "the additional financing approved by the Board of the World Bank today will allow the project to fully achieve and even exceed the targets that were originally contemplated with regard to people gaining access to water in selected urban areas throughout the country."
Copyright © 2012 World Bank. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)