Amadou Mahtar Ba, chief executive officer of the African Media Initiative and chair of AllAfrica Global Media.
Dakar — Social actors in countries plagued by corruption and ineffective governance can be held accountable only through the media, the executive director of the Mo Ibrahim Foundation, Hadeel Ibrahim, has told a public debate in Dakar.
Ibrahim was chairing an event organized jointly by the Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa and the African Media Leaders Forum (AMLF) on the eve of the AMLF's fifth annual meeting.
She joined a group of academics, activists and media executives at Dakar's Cheikh Anta Diop University to address the issue of "Media and Citizenship" in Africa.
Discussing the role of the media as a vector for good governance, she said that "from a governance perspective, where we are constantly trying to promote transparency, the obvious place for that to happen is in the media."
She added: "The media frames our public discourse. Effectively, if the media doesn't report something, it might not have happened."
Panelists at the meeting spoke with manifest passion as they discussed issues related to media, governance and inclusive citizenship. The discussion included a pre-recorded speech from Michael Posner, America's Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor.
Bineta Diop, director and founder of Femmes Africa Solidarité, impressed the need for better representation of African women in the media.
"We need to change the stereotypes that exist, many of which are propagated by the media," she said. "The media must shed a more positive light on women. They are not just victims. They are often victims, but they are also survivors."
Diop argued that there is a lack of reputable, innovative news reporting throughout the continent. "When will we have an African Al Jazeera?" she demanded.
"We have human capital, we have the means and we have the knowledge ...
We have to be more ambitious! Through social media, we have the means to reach local populations. But we won't succeed if we continue to marginalize certain groups.
"People talk about Africa as the continent of the future. The future is now!" Ms. Diop concluded to much applause.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)