How many hungry people are there in the world and is the number going down? What effect does hunger have on children and what can we do to help them? Here is a list of 10 facts that go some way to explaining why hunger is the single biggest solvable problem facing the world today.
- Approximately 870 million people in the world do not eat enough to be healthy. That means that one in every eight people on Earth goes to bed hungry each night. (Source: FAO, 2012)
- The number of people living with chronic hunger has declined by 130 million people over the past 20 years. For developing countries, the prevalence of undernourishment has fallen from 23.2 to 14.9 percent over the period 1990-2010 (Source: FAO, 2012)
- Most of the progress against hunger was achieved before 2007/08. Since then, global progress in reducing hunger has slowed and levelled off. (Source: FAO, 2012)
- Hunger is number one on the list of the world's top 10 health risks. It kills more people every year than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined. (Source: UNAIDS, 2010; WHO, 2011).
- A third of all deaths in children under the age of five in developing countries are linked to undernutrition. (Source: IGME, 2011)
- The first 1,000 days of a child's life, from pregnancy through age two, are the critical window in which to tackle undernutrition. A proper diet in this period can protect children from the mental and physical stunting that can result from malnutrition. (Source: IGME, 2011)
- It costs just US $0.25 per day to provide a child with all of the vitamins and nutrients he or she needs to grow up healthy. (Source: WFP, 2011)
- If women in rural areas had the same access to land, technology, financial services, education and markets as men, the number of hungry people could be reduced by 100-150 million. (Source: FAO, 2011)
- By 2050, climate change and erratic weather patterns will have pushed another 24 million children into hunger. Almost half of these children will live in sub-Saharan Africa. (Source: WFP, 2009)
- Hunger is the single biggest solvable problem facing the world today. Here are eight effective strategies for fighting hunger. Learn More
Copyright © 2013 United Nations World Food Programme. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.
Headlines Newsview all
INEC just announced via its newly created Twitter account for alerts @INECAlert that elections will be postponed till tomorrow in some polling units. This affects ... Full story
A man who fell in love with a woman sixty years older than himself has told of his special relationship with her that transcended age. It ... Full story
Rate this article
Ashionye Raccah is a popular Nigeria actress, producer and singer, but met true love in the heart of a Nigeria-based Ireland husband, Carl. They have been ...
He Has Decided : Guy Proposes To His Girlfriend At Polling Unit #NigeriaDecides2015Just saw this story on twitter and it got me laughing …. but ...
Nollywood actress, Mercy Johnson, has called on fans and colleagues to always have trust and true love for their husband if they want their marriage ...
Nollywood actor, Diamond Oke¬chi aka Alobam, has joined the league of actors who have declined any intentions of settling down with their female colleagues in ...
Actress singer and performer turned politician Muma Gee Eke who had earlier dumped PDP to Labour party reportedly escaped an assassination attempt on her life ...
As Nigeria decides who will be the president for the next four years, the different centers designated for the accreditation process are having people experience ...
Talented vocalist and musician, Praiz, has postponed his UK tour. The reason is not far-fetched, as it might likely be linked to the on going 2015 ...
Omoni Oboli, Nollywood diva and mother of three awesome boys also has some piece of advise for Nigerians as they cast their votes today. The delectable ...