How many hungry people are there in the world and is the number going down? What effect does hunger have on children and what can we do to help them? Here is a list of 10 facts that go some way to explaining why hunger is the single biggest solvable problem facing the world today.
- Approximately 870 million people in the world do not eat enough to be healthy. That means that one in every eight people on Earth goes to bed hungry each night. (Source: FAO, 2012)
- The number of people living with chronic hunger has declined by 130 million people over the past 20 years. For developing countries, the prevalence of undernourishment has fallen from 23.2 to 14.9 percent over the period 1990-2010 (Source: FAO, 2012)
- Most of the progress against hunger was achieved before 2007/08. Since then, global progress in reducing hunger has slowed and levelled off. (Source: FAO, 2012)
- Hunger is number one on the list of the world's top 10 health risks. It kills more people every year than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined. (Source: UNAIDS, 2010; WHO, 2011).
- A third of all deaths in children under the age of five in developing countries are linked to undernutrition. (Source: IGME, 2011)
- The first 1,000 days of a child's life, from pregnancy through age two, are the critical window in which to tackle undernutrition. A proper diet in this period can protect children from the mental and physical stunting that can result from malnutrition. (Source: IGME, 2011)
- It costs just US $0.25 per day to provide a child with all of the vitamins and nutrients he or she needs to grow up healthy. (Source: WFP, 2011)
- If women in rural areas had the same access to land, technology, financial services, education and markets as men, the number of hungry people could be reduced by 100-150 million. (Source: FAO, 2011)
- By 2050, climate change and erratic weather patterns will have pushed another 24 million children into hunger. Almost half of these children will live in sub-Saharan Africa. (Source: WFP, 2009)
- Hunger is the single biggest solvable problem facing the world today. Here are eight effective strategies for fighting hunger. Learn More
Copyright © 2013 United Nations World Food Programme. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.
Headlines Newsview all
Syrian Rebels Chant 'Allahu Akbar' Over The Body of Dead Russian Pilot After Turkey Shoots Down Jet For Violating Its Air-space
Turkish army has shot down a Russian Sukhoi Su-24 war plane near its Syrian border, officials confirm The Russian jet had violated Turkish air space and ... Full story
The family of Ahmed Mohamed, the Texan schoolboy who was arrested after taking a homemade clock to school, has demanded $15m in compensation and written ... Full story
Governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun State on Monday named the only Model School in Ikenne and the recently-completed PlainField Estate at Oke-Mosan in Abeokuta after ... Full story
Rate this article
- Hot Photos of 2015 American Music Awards
- Suicide bomber kills at least 7 people in a transit camp in Maiduguri
- Prince Abubakar Audu Of Kogi State Slumped And Died After Receiving The Election Results
Last Saturday, November 21, top Ghanaian actress, Nadia Buari turned a year older and she marked the day in a special way with few of ...
Nollywood actress and former television presenter, Juliet Mgborukwe-Ojukwu, has welcomed a bouncing baby boy. The actress got her bundle of joy yesterday in faraway United States ...
Comedian, Akpororo, is not slowing down in flaunting his wife as the two lovers got married some weeks back in a well attended event which ...
Shortly after she was delivered of her daughter for contemporary hi-life music star, Flavour, ex-beauty queen, Anna Banner is back in the country and has ...
Over the weekend, fun-seekers in Lagos were treated to an undiluted enjoyment at the 2015 edition of Naija FM Comedy Jam Concert and Awards. The event ...
Nollywood actress, Funke Akindele, has just received a morale booster after her popular sitcom, ‘Jenifa's Diary’ won an award over the weekend. The actress, who was ...
In the past, the bond of friendship between Yvonne Nelson and John Dumelo looked unchallenged, but from the look of things, they are no longer ...
Renowned female photographer, TY Bello, who used to be a member of the defunct KUSH music group, has shaved off her trademark afro hairstyle. The former ...
Popular Nollywood director, Teco Benson, has expressed his anger over the wrong perception some youths have about the film industry. Teco Benson said nowadays, many people ...
Afro-beat singer, Femi Anikulapo-Kuti, is a musician that has carved a niche for himself in the Nigerian music industry. The well-travelled artiste took after his late ...