How many hungry people are there in the world and is the number going down? What effect does hunger have on children and what can we do to help them? Here is a list of 10 facts that go some way to explaining why hunger is the single biggest solvable problem facing the world today.
- Approximately 870 million people in the world do not eat enough to be healthy. That means that one in every eight people on Earth goes to bed hungry each night. (Source: FAO, 2012)
- The number of people living with chronic hunger has declined by 130 million people over the past 20 years. For developing countries, the prevalence of undernourishment has fallen from 23.2 to 14.9 percent over the period 1990-2010 (Source: FAO, 2012)
- Most of the progress against hunger was achieved before 2007/08. Since then, global progress in reducing hunger has slowed and levelled off. (Source: FAO, 2012)
- Hunger is number one on the list of the world's top 10 health risks. It kills more people every year than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined. (Source: UNAIDS, 2010; WHO, 2011).
- A third of all deaths in children under the age of five in developing countries are linked to undernutrition. (Source: IGME, 2011)
- The first 1,000 days of a child's life, from pregnancy through age two, are the critical window in which to tackle undernutrition. A proper diet in this period can protect children from the mental and physical stunting that can result from malnutrition. (Source: IGME, 2011)
- It costs just US $0.25 per day to provide a child with all of the vitamins and nutrients he or she needs to grow up healthy. (Source: WFP, 2011)
- If women in rural areas had the same access to land, technology, financial services, education and markets as men, the number of hungry people could be reduced by 100-150 million. (Source: FAO, 2011)
- By 2050, climate change and erratic weather patterns will have pushed another 24 million children into hunger. Almost half of these children will live in sub-Saharan Africa. (Source: WFP, 2009)
- Hunger is the single biggest solvable problem facing the world today. Here are eight effective strategies for fighting hunger. Learn More
Copyright © 2013 United Nations World Food Programme. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.
Headlines Newsview all
Two members of the Lagos State House of Assembly (LAHA) on Friday commended President Muhammadu Buhari, for laying more emphasis on security challenges facing the ... Full story
Here are photos of Former President Jonathan and President Buhari at the inauguration today. Son of President Buhari, Yusuf was also spotted with his beautiful girlfriend ... Full story
Rate this article
- Lawmakers Commend Buhari For Relocating Military Command To Maiduguri
- CBN Net Income Drops To N35billion In 2014 From N209.6 Billion In 2013
- Muhammadu Buhari’s Inaugural Speech (Read)
Nigeria’s outgoing Minister of Agriculture, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, would officially assume office as President of Africa Development Bank (AfDB) on September 1, 2015. This was disclosed ... Full story
For Janine Ayorinde Temitope Dada with the stage name of 'Ms Jaie', music is the very means that connects her with her fans and she ...
Popular on-air personality, OAP, Dotun, is gushing about a recent interview that has left him reeling on his feet. The programme host, who has interviewed ...
Popular musician turned controversial writer is at again. Etcetera in his new article writes about what it is expected of the new government that took ...
Nollywood actress, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, Waje and Yemi Alade recently collaborated with One campaign to launch Strong Girl, a new song and music video aimed at ... Full story
Nollywood producer, Fidelis Duker, is a year older today, May 29 and as he celebrates his day which coincides with handing over date to a ...
For many people in an amorous relationships, having s3x symbolise the consumation of such a union as mutual consenting partners indulge in the act. For ...
After disappearing from main stream music in Nigeria, Lanre Dabiri better known as eLDee, is back with a solution to curb piracy in Nigeria and ...
Mavin Records artiste, D Prince, is the younger brother of the music producer, Don Jazzy, and is credited for the smash hits 'O.Y.O' and 'Take ...
Although the much anticipated May 29 Presidential Inauguration has come and gone, but there some side attractions that also shaped the epoch-making event. Nollywood delectable actress, ...