How many hungry people are there in the world and is the number going down? What effect does hunger have on children and what can we do to help them? Here is a list of 10 facts that go some way to explaining why hunger is the single biggest solvable problem facing the world today.
- Approximately 870 million people in the world do not eat enough to be healthy. That means that one in every eight people on Earth goes to bed hungry each night. (Source: FAO, 2012)
- The number of people living with chronic hunger has declined by 130 million people over the past 20 years. For developing countries, the prevalence of undernourishment has fallen from 23.2 to 14.9 percent over the period 1990-2010 (Source: FAO, 2012)
- Most of the progress against hunger was achieved before 2007/08. Since then, global progress in reducing hunger has slowed and levelled off. (Source: FAO, 2012)
- Hunger is number one on the list of the world's top 10 health risks. It kills more people every year than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined. (Source: UNAIDS, 2010; WHO, 2011).
- A third of all deaths in children under the age of five in developing countries are linked to undernutrition. (Source: IGME, 2011)
- The first 1,000 days of a child's life, from pregnancy through age two, are the critical window in which to tackle undernutrition. A proper diet in this period can protect children from the mental and physical stunting that can result from malnutrition. (Source: IGME, 2011)
- It costs just US $0.25 per day to provide a child with all of the vitamins and nutrients he or she needs to grow up healthy. (Source: WFP, 2011)
- If women in rural areas had the same access to land, technology, financial services, education and markets as men, the number of hungry people could be reduced by 100-150 million. (Source: FAO, 2011)
- By 2050, climate change and erratic weather patterns will have pushed another 24 million children into hunger. Almost half of these children will live in sub-Saharan Africa. (Source: WFP, 2009)
- Hunger is the single biggest solvable problem facing the world today. Here are eight effective strategies for fighting hunger. Learn More
Copyright © 2013 United Nations World Food Programme. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.
Headlines Newsview all
By Lawani Mikairu An Emirates flight EK 262 from Sao Paulo, Brazil to Dubai, United Arab Emirates was Saturday forced to make an emergency landing in ... Full story
It is exactly one year since Muhammadu Buhari was sworn in as President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Ahead of the official commemoration of ...
Rate this article
- Boko Haram Saga : Parents Of Kidnapped Chibok Girls Leave For Cameroon To Confirm Arrest
- LIVE UPDATES: Wike, Amaechi Vote Amid Tight Security in Rivers Rerun (PHOTOS)
- PHOTO: How Top Television Producer Was Found N*ked and Beaten To Death In Beauty Spot
– Nigerians are disappointed in President Buhari’s performance after one year in office – Ace comedian Ali Baba thinks otherwise – The comedian is known to be ...
Fernando Torres is dreaming of eclipsing his Champions League triumph with Chelsea and making history for the second time in the competition by leading Atletico ...
Newly appointed manager of Manchester United Jose Mourinho wants to gain revenge on former club Chelsea. Mourinho, 53, is on a mission to show the Blues ...
Arsenal youngster Alex Iwobi has admitted he is “gutted” he will no longer wear jersey No 45 in the new season. Iwobi will now wear the ...
Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane says his team deserve to be in tonight's Champions League final. Zidane expects a great game against Atletico Madrid. He said: "We've ...
Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers state was spotted with the stars and players during the much publicized testimonial match of veteran Nigerian player Joseph Yobo. See ...
By Abayomi Kalejaye In J. R. R. Tolkien’s epic adventure trilogy, Lord of the Rings, the ephemeral defeat of the villain, Sauron, by the hand of ...
YBNL singer, Adekunle Gold, has opened up on how he switched from his Islam faith to becoming a full fletched Christian. Gold also mentioned that his ...