How many hungry people are there in the world and is the number going down? What effect does hunger have on children and what can we do to help them? Here is a list of 10 facts that go some way to explaining why hunger is the single biggest solvable problem facing the world today.
- Approximately 870 million people in the world do not eat enough to be healthy. That means that one in every eight people on Earth goes to bed hungry each night. (Source: FAO, 2012)
- The number of people living with chronic hunger has declined by 130 million people over the past 20 years. For developing countries, the prevalence of undernourishment has fallen from 23.2 to 14.9 percent over the period 1990-2010 (Source: FAO, 2012)
- Most of the progress against hunger was achieved before 2007/08. Since then, global progress in reducing hunger has slowed and levelled off. (Source: FAO, 2012)
- Hunger is number one on the list of the world's top 10 health risks. It kills more people every year than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined. (Source: UNAIDS, 2010; WHO, 2011).
- A third of all deaths in children under the age of five in developing countries are linked to undernutrition. (Source: IGME, 2011)
- The first 1,000 days of a child's life, from pregnancy through age two, are the critical window in which to tackle undernutrition. A proper diet in this period can protect children from the mental and physical stunting that can result from malnutrition. (Source: IGME, 2011)
- It costs just US $0.25 per day to provide a child with all of the vitamins and nutrients he or she needs to grow up healthy. (Source: WFP, 2011)
- If women in rural areas had the same access to land, technology, financial services, education and markets as men, the number of hungry people could be reduced by 100-150 million. (Source: FAO, 2011)
- By 2050, climate change and erratic weather patterns will have pushed another 24 million children into hunger. Almost half of these children will live in sub-Saharan Africa. (Source: WFP, 2009)
- Hunger is the single biggest solvable problem facing the world today. Here are eight effective strategies for fighting hunger. Learn More
Copyright © 2013 United Nations World Food Programme. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.
Headlines Newsview all
President Buhari Begs Niger Delta Militants : Please Stop Pipeline Bombings, I Plead In The Name Of God Almighty
President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday pleaded with Niger Delta militants to soft pedal on the bombing and destruction of oil and gas installations. He asked those close ...
U.S. officials have “solid evidence” of the alleged misconduct Ambassador James Entwistle reported to House of Representatives Speaker, Yakubu Dogara, high-level diplomatic sources say. In a ... Full story
Rate this article
- Boko Haram Saga : Parents Of Kidnapped Chibok Girls Leave For Cameroon To Confirm Arrest
- LIVE UPDATES: Wike, Amaechi Vote Amid Tight Security in Rivers Rerun (PHOTOS)
- PHOTO: How Top Television Producer Was Found N*ked and Beaten To Death In Beauty Spot
The actress and TV presenter took to Instagram to narrate the unfortunate incident and to show proof of her injury sustained in the ugly encounter: "On ... Full story
Xherdan Shaqiri of Switzerland scored arguably the best goal of the 2016 EURO's after his fantastic bicycle kick goal drew Switzerland level with Poland ...
The eagerly-anticipated clash between Wales and Northern Ireland is the first time two home nations have met in the knockout stages of a major tournament. It ...
Arsenal may have to do without Alex Iwobi for the start of the new Premier League season after the midfielder was included in the provisional ...
– Tiwa Savage, the entertainer whose career is perfectly modelled on resilience, talent and media savviness – The Nigerian pop star is currently arguably Africa’s biggest female ...
ITV dating show, Love Island left viewers in shock as two housemates - Malin and Terry - slept with themselves openly in front of fellow housemates ...
Nollywood actress, Stella Damasus blushed like a newly crowned princess after famous celebrity and former wrestler Dwayne Johnson showed some love on her by replying ... Full story
West Ham have made a €35m bid for Marseille striker Michy Batshuayi, according to reports. The Hammers' offer was worth around £28.25m at 9am on Friday ...
Paul Okoye's signing, Lucy, continued her radio tour after her new banging song which featured reggae artiste, Cynthia Morgan. The singer was recently at Rhythm FM, ... Full story
Popular veteran actress, Patience Ozokwor, who recently turned a born-again christain, has been pictured recently ministering to a congregation at an Anglican Church in the ... Full story