How many hungry people are there in the world and is the number going down? What effect does hunger have on children and what can we do to help them? Here is a list of 10 facts that go some way to explaining why hunger is the single biggest solvable problem facing the world today.
- Approximately 870 million people in the world do not eat enough to be healthy. That means that one in every eight people on Earth goes to bed hungry each night. (Source: FAO, 2012)
- The number of people living with chronic hunger has declined by 130 million people over the past 20 years. For developing countries, the prevalence of undernourishment has fallen from 23.2 to 14.9 percent over the period 1990-2010 (Source: FAO, 2012)
- Most of the progress against hunger was achieved before 2007/08. Since then, global progress in reducing hunger has slowed and levelled off. (Source: FAO, 2012)
- Hunger is number one on the list of the world's top 10 health risks. It kills more people every year than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined. (Source: UNAIDS, 2010; WHO, 2011).
- A third of all deaths in children under the age of five in developing countries are linked to undernutrition. (Source: IGME, 2011)
- The first 1,000 days of a child's life, from pregnancy through age two, are the critical window in which to tackle undernutrition. A proper diet in this period can protect children from the mental and physical stunting that can result from malnutrition. (Source: IGME, 2011)
- It costs just US $0.25 per day to provide a child with all of the vitamins and nutrients he or she needs to grow up healthy. (Source: WFP, 2011)
- If women in rural areas had the same access to land, technology, financial services, education and markets as men, the number of hungry people could be reduced by 100-150 million. (Source: FAO, 2011)
- By 2050, climate change and erratic weather patterns will have pushed another 24 million children into hunger. Almost half of these children will live in sub-Saharan Africa. (Source: WFP, 2009)
- Hunger is the single biggest solvable problem facing the world today. Here are eight effective strategies for fighting hunger. Learn More
Copyright © 2013 United Nations World Food Programme. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.
Headlines Newsview all
The albinos who are born in East Africa are becoming more and more of an endangered specie as they are been hunted for their skin ... Full story
The outgoing governor of Benue State, Gabriel Suswam, on Thursday donated eight new Toyota Prado Sports Utility Vehicles to the state governor-elect, Samuel Ortom, his ... Full story
The National Coordinator of the Oodua Peoples Congress, Gani Adams, on Thursday visited the Nigerian Embassy in South Africa in support of Nigerians affected by ... Full story
Rate this article
Ini Edo marked her birthday with a movie night with fans,featuring an autograph signing session and screening of her movie,”While you slept”.It took place this ... Full story
Barcelona have been paired with Bayern Munich during Friday's Champions League semi-final draw in Nyon, while Real Madrid will have to deal with Juventus in ...
Late Dolapo Adesanya After weeks of accusations and counter accusation over the death of 36-year old Mrs. Dolapo Adesanya at the EKO Hospital, Ikeja, the controversy ...
The Nigerian entertainment industry is crying out for the immediate end to the piracy that is eating deep into the pockets of movie producers and ...
More and more Nigerians are expressing their sad experience at the Nation's airports and officials as popular media personality, Andre Blaze has narrated his experience ...
According to a report by The Trent, funeral rites for the late Oronto Natei Douglas, former Senior Special Adviser to the President on Research, Documentation, ...
After the New York area received a large amount of rain, four rainbows stretched across the early morning sky on Tuesday. Amanda Curtis, CEO of a ...
Following the N1.2 billion debt owed the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) by Arik Air, the Association of Air Transport Association of Nigeria (ATTSAN) ...