Tertiary institutions across the country, yesterday, declared that
they could only admit 704,000 students out of more than 740,000
candidates who are qualified to be given admission for the 2013/2014
academic year having scored 200 and above.
Out of the 1,735,720 candidates that registered for this year’s Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, 1,540,179 candidates had their results released as 738,375 candidates have already crossed the 200 marks bar, even as the results of the 36,000 candidates that wrote computer-based tests have not been made public.
This came as the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, and National Universities Commission, NUC, vowed to vet post-matriculation admissions.
The institutions also debated the cut-off mark for this year’s admission after a rowdy argument at the 4th Combined Policy Committee meeting held at NUC headquarters in Abuja.
Cut-off marks reviewed
They arrived at 180 for degree-awarding institutions, while the cut-off mark for non-degree awarding institutions was pegged at 150 from 160 to encourage candidates to opt for polytechnics and colleges of education.
JAMB Registrar, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, made the disclosures, yesterday, at the NUC headquarters, stressing that the admission capacity of tertiary institutions in the country had been raised to 704,000, from the initial 500,000.
Ojerinde said the board and NUC had to deal with the problem of admission of excess students for which the Federal Government was often pushed into a tight corner.
He warned the institutions to stick to the deadline of October 31 for admission of students and cautioned that any student admitted outside the deadline would not graduate from the institutions.
He said: “I wish to remind you formally that all admissions will come to an end by October 31. All institutions are hereby called upon to adhere strictly to this date as late submissions will not be entertained.
“We have discovered that some universities and other institutions comply with admission deadline, while some others do not comply and up till date they are still admitting students.”
He said that the scores of 180 and 160 were adopted last year as cut-off point, but was thrown open for institutions to agree on before adoption in the 2013/2014 year.
However, the debate on the cut-off for this year generated heated argument, but the institutions unanimously agreed to peg the cut-off mark at 180 for universities and 150 for non-degree awarding institutions.
Reasons for marks review
The institutions based their argument on the graph shown to them by JAMB, indicating that candidates preferred universities to polytechnics and colleges of education.
They argued that to encourage candidates to seek admissions in polytechnics and colleges of education, there was need to bring down the cut-off mark to 150 for non-degree awarding institutions.
Ojerinde reminded the institutions of the mandatory guidelines on
admission, pegging criteria for merit at 45 percent, catchment, 35 and
educationally less-developed states, ELDS, 20 for Federal
For state-owned institutions, merit was put at 40 percent, catchment 40 and ELDS 20.
Headlines Newsview all
Rate this article
- Boko Haram Saga : Parents Of Kidnapped Chibok Girls Leave For Cameroon To Confirm Arrest
- LIVE UPDATES: Wike, Amaechi Vote Amid Tight Security in Rivers Rerun (PHOTOS)
- PHOTO: How Top Television Producer Was Found N*ked and Beaten To Death In Beauty Spot
Nigeria's naira currency weakened slightly in the parallel market on Tuesday ahead of an interest rate decision and a possible announcement that the central bank ... Full story
Popular CNN African Voices presenter, Keturah King, who had been posting scenic photos from her trip to Senegal over the past few days, has seen ... Full story
Popular Lagos celebrity stylist and fashion entreprenuer, Toyin Lawani, took to her Instagram some hours ago to share the stories of two Nigerians she took ... Full story
Kim Kardashian Steals The Show As She Flaunts S3xy Figure In [email protected] Dress At Vogue Gala With Kanye
35-year-old stunning reality TV queen, Kim Kardashian, turned heads as she sauntered into the Vogue 100 Gala Dinner in London on Monday night as she ... Full story
Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil took a trip to Mecca for a pilgrimage ahead of Euro 2016. The Germany international is set to play a key part ...
English club Liverpool will square up against Barcelona at Wembley in August in the International Champions Cup. It was today confirmed the Reds will take on ...
Jose Mourinho is expected to be confirmed as Manchester United manager in the next 48 hours. Negotiations between Mourinho's agent, Jorge Mendes, and Manchester United executive ...
Manchester United are ready to make Zlatan Ibrahimovic a massive offer to become one of Jose Mourinho's key signings this summer. The Swedish striker is looking ...
Self-acclaimed president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Chris Giwa, and his board will appear before the sports committee of the federal House of Representatives ...
Russian Tennis star Maria Sharapova may never play again following her failed drugs test, the president of the Russian Tennis Federation says. Sharapova, 29, tested positive ...