Executive Secretary of NICO, Dr. Barclays Ayakoroma noted that the development which is eating deep into the consciousness of young ones and some older ones is beginning to give the country a very bad image.
Speaking at a press briefing held at NICO Corporate Headquarters in the Abuja last week, Dr. Ayakoroma informed that his organisation is beginig the anti-shoddy fashion campaign with a workshop. The three-day workshop tagged, Promoting Nigerian Dress Culture for National Identity, is being organised to address the menace as well as project a befitting Nigerian dress culture as a tool for national identity and cultural re-orientation.
He lamented that indecent dressing is a vice that now permeates various age-groups in the country.
According to him, it is not restricted to just youths as most married women engage in the unwholesome vice too. Most worrisome is the prevailing trends among our youths who expose themselves, clad in dresses that reveal their boobs, buttocks, backs, hips. It is against this backdrop that NICO is organising this workshop and we hope to see changes on our peoples dressing pattern after the workshop, the orientation agencys chief executive officer said.
Ayakoroma informed that the objectives of the forthcoming workshop is to rekindle interest and pride in the nations indigenous dress pattern and to encourage unity among different ethnic groups through integrated dress culture.
He said the workshop holding today through Friday, at the Cyprian Ekwensi Cultural Centre, Area 10, Garki, Abuja, is also aimed at encouraging socio-economic growth of the countrys local textile industries in order to create jobs for Nigerian youths while also promoting national patriotism. The event will be held under the distinguished chairmanship of Senator Dahiru Bako Gassol, the Chairman, Senate Committee on Culture and Tourism.
Target audience of the workshop comprise students, scholars, corporate organisations, religious bodies, operators in fashion and entertainment industries as well as top government functionaries.
Ayakoroma lamented that the nations dress culture is faced with challenges particularly, as a result of western influences and globalisation. The problems, he noted, have made many Nigerians to sometimes to turn away from the indigenous cultural mode of dressing in preference for western style.
The indulgence in the use of western fabrics and materials has relegated our age-long cherished civilization as a deception for imposing other cultures in Nigeria and indeed Africa. There is need for re-orientation and resuscitation of our indigenous and ethnic values which are embedded in our dress culture.
Re-branding and re-orientation of our cultural values should start with us. We should note that our dress culture defines our individual personalities and by extension, our national identity. We should not have our cultural attires on display only when occasion demands, he said.
But he still noted the impressive work of Nigerian fashion designers. His words: It is rewarding to note that we have done so well in projecting our ingenuity in the fashion world. The fashion and dress culture of Nigerians have been defined and redefined to stress the creativity of our designers and flexibility of our traditional attires.
He called on various state governments to fashion out policies on dress codes, noting that if the country succeeds in that direction, it will turn to exporting its textile and fashion products and that will be a veritable foreign exchange earner that will to a large extent, support the gains from crude oil exportation.
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well