Ex-Convict Alamieyeseigha To Forfeit $600,000 US Mansion, $400,000 Cash, In US â€œKleptocracy Initiativeâ€
Former governor of Bayelsa and convicted money launderer, DSP Alamieyeseigha will be losing his mansion in the Potomac area of Maryland, as he could not pay his annual real estate tax to the state.
Mr. Alamieyeseigha, popular known as “Alams,” bought the property from his looting of Bayelsa State resources. That led to his arrest in the United Kingdom in 2006, from which he jumped bail dressed as a grandmother.
Officials of the state of Maryland Assessment and Taxation department told SaharaReporters that Alams owed the state some $10,000 in real estate taxes.
They said the property, which is located 504 Pleasant Drive, Rockville, MD 20850-5879 belongs to Solomon & Peters Ltd, an offshore front company used by the ex-convict to purchase the property in 2003 while he was the governor of Bayelsa state. Solomon $ Peters Limited in registered in the British Virgin Islands.
Alams’ legal troubles led to the elevation of Goodluck Jonathan to the governorship of that state, and soon after, to national prominence when he was singlehandedly selected by President Olusegun Obasanjo as presidential running mate to Umaru Yar’Adua. He was later arrested in the UK for money laundering but fled to Nigeria, where he was arrested and prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission after members of the Bayelsa State assembly impeached him.
In 2005, Mr. Alamieyeseigha’s daughter, Oyindounbra, also bought a house in Whittier, California, where she attended a Community College. In that same year, she sold the house for $1.7 before relocating to Nigeria.
Maryland officials told SaharaReporters that Mr. Alamiseyeseigha has not paid his property taxes for almost a year.
Interestingly, the same property in Maryland is being recovered by the Obama administration through the US Department of Justice’s “Kleptocracy Initiative”. In March this year, the office of the US Attorney General filed to forfeit the assets of Mr. Alamieyeseigha in the US. The Potomac home, which is valued at $600,000, and another $400,000 belonging to the disgraced Governor was also found in a brokerage account at the Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC account in Massachusetts.
If and when the civil proceedings are concluded, the US government plans to repatriate the stolen monies to Nigeria.
“Funds of this nature that are repatriated to Nigeria ought to be put directly into specific public projects that are negotiated between the United Nations and the Nigeria government,” a newspaper columnist told SaharaReporters today. “Otherwise, how does one know that the funds do not return to Alams through Nigeria’s own Kleptocracy Highway?”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Will RCCG Ever Remain The Same? Nigerians React To Pastor Adeboye's Retirement
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)