The Federal Government and its U.S. government are set to collaborate in training, sharing of intelligence and modernisation of security services and logistics, following threats posed to the nation’s internal security by the Boko Haram Islamic sect.
Rising from a meeting between officials of both countries in Abuja, under the aegis of U.S-Nigeria Bi-National Commission, US Deputy Assistant Secretary for African Affairs, Mr. William Fitzgerald, said the commitment would cover repositioning the Nigeria security services to respond appropriately to security challenges and threats in the country.
He said the technical sub-working group of the meeting will continue to meet in Abuja to explore development of a Nigerian intelligence fusion capability.
Fitzgerald said the talks will be coordinated through the US Embassy in Abuja, in conjunction with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other relevant Nigerian agencies.
He said: “Both sides re-affirmed their commitment to enhance the operatio-nal capabilities of Nige-ria’s security services.”
by identifying avenues that would enable them to respond appropriately to internal security challenges and other threats.
“Prominent areas of collaboration may include training, intelligence sharing, modernisation of the security services, logistics and other requirements.
“Nigeria and the United States governments resolved to participate in more sustained working level engagement and cooperation on security matters, through the United States Embassy in Abuja, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other relevant security agencies.
“Finally, both the Nigerian and US governments agreed to follow-up on these commitments and seek further collaboration to address the challenges that have been identified during the meeting.
“Both countries welcome the involvement of civil society, community-level organisations and other stakeholders in the next meeting of the Regional Security Cooperation Working Group.”
Speaking on the occasion, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Amb. Martin Uhomoibhi, said: “Government would continue to sensitise Nigerians on the need to take issue of security as responsibility of all, and not that of the security agencies alone.
“This is a national responsibility, a responsibility to be discharged by all Nigerians and indeed all residents in the territorial state of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”
Headlines Newsview all
A Saudi Arabian billionaire is planning on giving his entire $32billion (£20bn) fortune to charity. Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, one of the richest men in the ... Full story
According to Leadership, the assassination of former first lady Patience Jonathan's ex-security aide had to do with his previous job with the presidency. DSP Tamuno Igbomie, ... Full story
Rate this article
- Billboard In India Mistakes Morgan Freeman For Nelson Mandela
- 7 And 10-Year-Old Michigan Boys Honored For Turning In A $100 Bill They Found In The Park
- Shaunie O’Neal Refutes Shaq’s Claim That He Didn’t Want Kids In Reality Show
Check Out The Trailer Of ‘Mum, Dad Meet Sam’ Starring Joseph Benjamin ...
One of the most respected comedians in Nigeria, Ali Baba was a year older some days back and he was hosted to various parties by ...
Fuel scarcity, Tuesday resurfaced in Abuja, with long queues at almost all the petrol stations, as motorists faced slight difficulties in buying the commodity. This was ...
The Central Bank of Nigeria on Tuesday lowered the naira peg to 196.95 against the dollar from 196.90 it set last week. This made it the ...
The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria has elected Clive Omoniyi as the Chairman of the Nigeria LNG branch of the association. A ...
The silent rule of responsibility has always hammered on the fact that, ‘to whom much is given, much is expected’ and this takes us straight ...
Enterprise Bank is a bank with few branches located across Nigeria, meanwhile, it’s obvious why they don’t have branches abroad. A bank whom can’t secure or ...
Former Portsmouth and Inter Milan midfielder Sulley Muntari is set to depart AC Milan following termination of his contract by mutual consent. The Ghanaian joined the ... Full story
Southampton manager, Ronald Koeman insists the club are yet to receive any “serious” offer for Morgan Schneiderlin this summer. The midfielder has been linked with a ... Full story
Georgina Onuoha, an actress in Nollywood, is delighted to be back to Nigeria after travelling to the United States of America (USA) with her children. She ...