Boko Haram-linked attacks on primary and secondary schools in Maiduguri over the past two weeks have forced 10,000 pupils to stay away from the classrooms, investigations by Daily Trust have shown.
At least 12 public and private schools were set on fire in attacks launched mostly under the cover of the night in the city, which has been plagued by violence for nearly two years.
The first schools to be attacked about two weeks ago were Budun Primary School and Kulo Gomna Primary School.
Then Abbaganaram Primary School was set ablaze days later, while private school Maiduguri Experimental School was destroyed the following day.
On Tuesday, the Gomari Costain was targeted and set ablaze.
The onslaught continued on Wednesday and Thursday when five more schools were burnt in what appeared to be coordinated attacks.
Gwange 1 Primary School was burnt on Wednesday. Also, Success Private Secondary School owned by a Ghanaian was burnt when gunmen stormed the premises with old tyres and petrol. Sunshine Private School was similarly torched.
Boko Haram, whose name in Hausa means “Western education is prohibited”, claimed responsibility for attacking the schools, allegedly because security men were raiding local Islamic schools.
Since its emergence, the sect made it clear that its ideology was opposed to Western education and the democratic system of government. But it has restricted its attacks largely to state security institutions, until late last year when it widened its targets.
Formal schools are the latest in the ever-widening list of targets for Boko Haram.
No official of the state primary education board was willing to comment for this story.
But teachers in the affected schools gave separate estimates of students affected by the closures as a result of the attacks.
They said over 10,000 pupils have been forced to remain at home as nearly all classrooms in the affected schools have been razed.
“Thousands of children are out of school,” Jummai Sam, a teacher, told Daily Trust. “The implication is that many of them would be roaming the streets and at the end of the day, they would be forced to engage in social vices which will not augur well for the society.”
Spokesmen of the Joint Task Force (JTF) in Borno State, Lieutenant Colonel Mohammed Hassan said, “Residents must cooperate with security agents to end this carnage.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well
- Jibrin Claims: Dogara Bribing Members With $25,000,
- Patoranking Reportedly Denied Entry Into Uganda
- Seems Shekau Is Finally Dead, He Will Forever Be In Hell Says Nigerians