Aero Aircraft Passenger’s Prompt Intervention Upon Seeing Fuel Leakage From Aircraft Averts Likely Disaster
Aero Contractors, one of the few airlines still flying the local routes in Nigeria, might have had an accident save for a passenger’s prompt intervention.
At about 2:30 pm Monday, the Aero aircraft was set to leave the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Ikeja Lagos, when one of the passengers who sat close to the left wing of the craft spotted gas leaking from one of the valves conveying gas to the part called ‘ailerons’ which connects the wings of the aircraft to ensure stability during take-off and landing.
The passenger alerted the members of the airplane’s crew, consequently all passengers were asked to evacuate the plane.
The passengers in the flight – AJ 171 scheduled for Margaret Ekpo International Airport, Calabar by 2.30 p.m. had to return to departure lounge.
“All boarding formalities were completed and the aircraft door shut ready for take-off. The aircraft had actually been taxied through the run-way to the take-off point when, after about ten minutes, the pilot taxied it back to the hanger,” one of the passengers aboard the flight, wishing to remain anonymous said.
“The flight crew was later to report to the passengers that the flight had to be delayed and aircraft taxied back to the hanger for minor repairs as safety precaution following reports of fuel leakage spotted from its left wing,” the source said.
The incident botched the flight by Aero Contractors Airlines from Lagos to Calabar that was scheduled after 2:30 pm on Monday.
Most of the affected passengers – families, workers and business people were returning from Lagos to Calabar after the long holiday declared by the Federal Government last week to commemorate the Moslem Eid-el-Kabir celebrations.
After all passengers were evacuated from the aircraft, they returned to the departure hall to wait for alternative arrangements by the airline’s management.
The passengers waited in despair for several hours till about 6 pm before the finally departed Lagos for their destination.
This is the second time in seven days that Aero Contractors has had to disrupt its operations over what it termed ‘minor technical faults’
On Wednesday, October 24, at about 11: 30, flight number AJ125 from to Abuja 12:15 was disrupted after a crew member announced that there was a minor technical issue with the aircraft’s engine.
Subsequently all passengers alighted the flight for “safety precaution”. It took about one hour for a replacement to convey the passengers.
The airlines’ consultant, Simon Tumba, tried to allay apprehensions. He attributed the delay to a minor technical fault which he said has to be fixed as a safety precaution.
“As I am talking to you, the flight is already airborne. It was a minor technical fault that had to be taken care of as a safety precaution in line with our company’s standard routine practice to ensure the safety of our passengers,” Mr. Tumba said.
Latest Nigeria News
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well
- Jibrin Claims: Dogara Bribing Members With $25,000,
- Patoranking Reportedly Denied Entry Into Uganda