TWO Senators and a former governor are currently under surveillance with a view to determining their alleged involvement in the activities of the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram, Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar, said on Wednesday.
The three, according to Abubakar, are Senators Ahmed Zanna and Ali Ndume, and a former Governor of Borno State, Modu Sheriff.
The IG added that investigators were collating evidence on their alleged sponsorship of Boko Haram with a view to prosecuting them.
He said, “We are working to end terrorism in the country but we need support from the public; some of the senators are under watch, but we need evidences to build a strong case against them.
“We cannot take anybody to court without ample evidence. Investigators need evidence to pursue their cases.”
The IG fielded questions from journalists in Abuja shortly after declaring open a conference of sectional heads, zonal and state Criminal Investigation Departments.
Operatives of the Joint Military Task Force had recently arrested a suspected kinpin of the violent sect, Mohammed Bama, in a house in Maiduguri, believed to belong to Zanna, a senator representing Borno Central Senatorial District.
But while the senator admitted that Bama is his nephew , he claimed that the building where Bama was arrested belonged to Sheriff.
Sheriff, under whose watch as governor of Borno State the sect was allegedly founded, however, said Zanna should be thoroughly investigated.
A self-confessed former spokesman for Boko Haram, Ali Konduga, had named Ndume as a financier of the sect. Ndume, a senator representing Borno South District, is currently facing trial prosecution at a Federal High Court in Abuja. He was arrested November 21, 2011. Curiously, he was at the time a member of a Presidential committee on how to curb the activities of Boko Haram.
Meanwhile, the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke, has urged the National Assembly to speed up the amendment of the Anti-Terrorism Law pending before it.
Adoke, in an address he delivered at the valedictory court session held in honour of retired Supreme Court Justice, Olufunlola Adekeye, in Abuja on Wednesday, said speedy conclusion of work on the law would reposition the judiciary in the fight against terrorism.
Explaining that the weakness of the former law necessitated the ongoing amendment, he said, “justice can only be done to terrorists and their financiers if penalties commensurate with their offences are put in place .
About Article Author
Francisca (Viv) has over 10+ years of writing experience in press releases, feature articles, promotions, copywriting for small businesses and manufacturers in various industries. She brings a wealth of experience and is the "calmer" when these is a storm. She loves to travel and read.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- DIY: Prepare African Black Soap With Shea Butter
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu
- Floods Wash Snakes Into Plateau Community
- Sad! Gunmen Kill Bricklayer Working To Pay For Father’s Treatment
- OMG!! Woman Borrows Twins To Defraud Ex-Commissioner
- Shocking!! I Raped 11 Year Old Girl Purely For Money Rituals - Baba Mohammed
- 54 Commercial S3x Workers And 56 Patronizers Arrested In Calabar Hotel
- La Casera Fires Hundreds Of Workers And Shuts Down Operations
- Governor Rochas Okorocha Exposed, See Shocking Images