TWO Senators and a former governor are currently under surveillance with a view to determining their alleged involvement in the activities of the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram, Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar, said on Wednesday.
The three, according to Abubakar, are Senators Ahmed Zanna and Ali Ndume, and a former Governor of Borno State, Modu Sheriff.
The IG added that investigators were collating evidence on their alleged sponsorship of Boko Haram with a view to prosecuting them.
He said, “We are working to end terrorism in the country but we need support from the public; some of the senators are under watch, but we need evidences to build a strong case against them.
“We cannot take anybody to court without ample evidence. Investigators need evidence to pursue their cases.”
The IG fielded questions from journalists in Abuja shortly after declaring open a conference of sectional heads, zonal and state Criminal Investigation Departments.
Operatives of the Joint Military Task Force had recently arrested a suspected kinpin of the violent sect, Mohammed Bama, in a house in Maiduguri, believed to belong to Zanna, a senator representing Borno Central Senatorial District.
But while the senator admitted that Bama is his nephew , he claimed that the building where Bama was arrested belonged to Sheriff.
Sheriff, under whose watch as governor of Borno State the sect was allegedly founded, however, said Zanna should be thoroughly investigated.
A self-confessed former spokesman for Boko Haram, Ali Konduga, had named Ndume as a financier of the sect. Ndume, a senator representing Borno South District, is currently facing trial prosecution at a Federal High Court in Abuja. He was arrested November 21, 2011. Curiously, he was at the time a member of a Presidential committee on how to curb the activities of Boko Haram.
Meanwhile, the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke, has urged the National Assembly to speed up the amendment of the Anti-Terrorism Law pending before it.
Adoke, in an address he delivered at the valedictory court session held in honour of retired Supreme Court Justice, Olufunlola Adekeye, in Abuja on Wednesday, said speedy conclusion of work on the law would reposition the judiciary in the fight against terrorism.
Explaining that the weakness of the former law necessitated the ongoing amendment, he said, “justice can only be done to terrorists and their financiers if penalties commensurate with their offences are put in place .
Latest Nigeria News
- Ondo APC Secretariat Now A Shrine, See What Members Did (photos)
- How Adams Oshiomole Wasted Edo?s N1.4 Trillion ? PDP
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover