TWO Senators and a former governor are currently under surveillance with a view to determining their alleged involvement in the activities of the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram, Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar, said on Wednesday.
The three, according to Abubakar, are Senators Ahmed Zanna and Ali Ndume, and a former Governor of Borno State, Modu Sheriff.
The IG added that investigators were collating evidence on their alleged sponsorship of Boko Haram with a view to prosecuting them.
He said, “We are working to end terrorism in the country but we need support from the public; some of the senators are under watch, but we need evidences to build a strong case against them.
“We cannot take anybody to court without ample evidence. Investigators need evidence to pursue their cases.”
The IG fielded questions from journalists in Abuja shortly after declaring open a conference of sectional heads, zonal and state Criminal Investigation Departments.
Operatives of the Joint Military Task Force had recently arrested a suspected kinpin of the violent sect, Mohammed Bama, in a house in Maiduguri, believed to belong to Zanna, a senator representing Borno Central Senatorial District.
But while the senator admitted that Bama is his nephew , he claimed that the building where Bama was arrested belonged to Sheriff.
Sheriff, under whose watch as governor of Borno State the sect was allegedly founded, however, said Zanna should be thoroughly investigated.
A self-confessed former spokesman for Boko Haram, Ali Konduga, had named Ndume as a financier of the sect. Ndume, a senator representing Borno South District, is currently facing trial prosecution at a Federal High Court in Abuja. He was arrested November 21, 2011. Curiously, he was at the time a member of a Presidential committee on how to curb the activities of Boko Haram.
Meanwhile, the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke, has urged the National Assembly to speed up the amendment of the Anti-Terrorism Law pending before it.
Adoke, in an address he delivered at the valedictory court session held in honour of retired Supreme Court Justice, Olufunlola Adekeye, in Abuja on Wednesday, said speedy conclusion of work on the law would reposition the judiciary in the fight against terrorism.
Explaining that the weakness of the former law necessitated the ongoing amendment, he said, “justice can only be done to terrorists and their financiers if penalties commensurate with their offences are put in place .
Latest Nigeria News
- NSCDC Rescues 9 Year Old Boy Chained For 2 Weeks Without Food In Celestial Church
- Breaking: Buhari?s Minister Reveals How Much His Government SavesMonthly
- Troops Nab Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists PMS Suppliers
- Nigerian Navy Arrests Niger Delta Avengers? Major Logistics Supplier
- Buhari Says Nigerians Still Love Him? See Fresh Poll Shows PMB?s Real Popularity
- Another Top Supplier To ND Avengers Arrested
- Bishop In Police Net For Allegedly Sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers
- What This Boko Haram Member Was Caught Doing Will Shock You (photos)
- Bola Ige: This Is What President Buhari Told IGP To Do Immediately
- Pilot Tells EFCC: How I Transported Over N1.219bn To Fayose On An Aircraft
- EFCC Interrogates Doyin Okupe Over N162m Illicit Payment
- My Boyfriend Refused To Use Condom: Police Arrests Lovers Fighting Over S3x
- Revelations : I Drove The Bribe Money To Fayose?s Hotel Says Driver
- Fear Of Buhari: Senate Makes Very Crucial Statement
- Reuben Abati: Theresa May, Melaye and the Leader?s Wife
- How Bullion van Driver Delivered N1.2bn To Fayose?s Hotel
- 2 soldiers Killed, 7 injured in Boko Haram ambush
- PENGASSAN, NUPENG call off strike
- IPMAN urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Pipeline Bombings: Militant Group Announces 2 Week Ceasefire
- IPMAN Urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Many Feared Dead As Communal Clash Resurfaces In Benue Coomunity
- Student Stabs Landlord To Death, You Wont Believe What He Did Next
- Sen. Ben Murray-Bruce Hangs Out With His Lookalike Son, Cody (Video)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Gov. Ugwuanyi And Ogun Speaker Urge Muslims Faithful To Promote Peace And Unity
- Oduah Has No Female Domestic Staff
- Brent Oil Falls Below $50 As Nigeria Ups Production
- Breaking: Niger Delta Avengers Strike Again, Hit NNPC, Chevron Pipelines
- Alleged Fraud: Read What Happened To Diezani?s Ally In Court
- EFCC Removes Diezani From Money Laundering Trial
- Twitter Suspends Niger Delta Avengers Account
- Niger Delta Avengers Twitter Account Blocked
- Unbelievable: See What Woman Did To 9 Months Old Pregnant Woman (photos)
- Lagosians Beware: You May Go To Jail Today If You Are Caught Doing This
- Ikpeazu begs Court: I Want Appeal Against Ogah Settled At The Speed Of Light
- Yan Najeriya na kukan hauhawar farashin Kalanzir N220
- Buhari zai kaddamar da ayyukan kudu maso kudu?Jigon APC
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic zai koma Kungiyar Manchester United
- Sojoji sun kai hari ga yan?ta?addan dake neman tserewa
- Babban kotun tarayya ta mara ma Ali Modu Sherrif baya