The government of Akwa Ibom State has confirmed that Godswill Akpabio like his Rivers State counterpart, Governor Rotimi Amaechi, also owns a brand new jet.
Akpabio took possession of the $45 million jet in June 2012.
Responding to SaharaReporters inquiries, Akwa Ibom Commissioner for Information, Aniekan Ummanah, confirmed that Mr. Akpabio bought the Gulfstream jet manufactured in 2011, but insisted that that it is Akwa Ibom State property.
As already published by SaharaReporters, Governor Amaechi’s gleaming new toy is a Bombardier Global 5000 (N565RS), which he acquired for his exclusive use.
Governor Akpabio’s state of the art jet, which carries FAA registration number N224BH, was interestingly purchased by the same Bank of Utah Trust account used by the Rivers state government. The deal was handled by a trust attorney at the bank and delivered to Mr. Akpabio.
Records show that Governor Akpabio, whose deputy resigned yesterday, has travelled abroad in the jet regularly, especially to and within the United States, since the acquisition.
A flight tracking website provided the following information regarding Mr. Akpabio's penchant for traveling on the jet. These flights do not show Nigeria movements:
Origin Destination Departed Arrival
28-Sep-2012 GLF4/Q Westchester County (KHPN) Cologne Bonn (EDDK / CGN) 11:50AM EDT 12:28AM CEST (+1) (?) 6:38
28-Sep-2012 GLF4/Q Savannah/Hilton Head Intl (KSAV) Westchester County (KHPN) 07:00AM EDT 08:42AM EDT 1:42
24-Sep-2012 GLF4/Q Westchester County (KHPN) Savannah/Hilton Head Intl (KSAV) 11:23PM EDT 01:05AM EDT (+1) 1:42
24-Sep-2012 GLF4/Q Dusseldorf Int'l (EDDL / DUS) Westchester County (KHPN) 08:20PM CEST 10:21PM EDT 8:01
06-Aug-2012 GLF4/Q Westchester County (KHPN) Malaga (LEMG / AGP) 01:49PM EDT 02:42AM CEST (+1) (?) 6:53
05-Aug-2012 GLF4/Q William P Hobby (KHOU) Westchester County (KHPN) 08:01PM CDT 12:06AM EDT (+1) 3:05
03-Aug-2012 GLF4/Q Dallas Love Field (KDAL) William P Hobby (KHOU) 08:48AM CDT 09:25AM CDT 0:37
01-Aug-2012 GLF4/Q William P Hobby (KHOU) Dallas Love Field (KDAL) 03:53PM CDT 04:35PM CDT 0:42
01-Aug-2012 GLF4/Q Dallas Love Field (KDAL) William P Hobby (KHOU) 10:49AM CDT 11:26AM CDT 0:37
29-Jul-2012 GLF4/Q William P Hobby (KHOU) Dallas Love Field (KDAL) 10:05AM CDT 10:47AM CDT 0:42
28-Jul-2012 GLF4/Q Bangor Intl (KBGR) William P Hobby (KHOU) 01:40PM EDT 04:30PM CDT 3:50
28-Jul-2012 GLF4/Q Dusseldorf Int'l (EDDL / DUS) Bangor Intl (KBGR) 11:44AM CEST 12:44PM EDT 7:00
It would be recalled that one week ago in Yola, Adamawa State, Governor Danbaba Suntai of Taraba State crashed a Cessna 208, 5N-BMJ, he was flying personally at the time. He has since been airlifted to Germany for treatment, his injured passengers left in a local hospital.
These expensive jet-buying and flying stories concerning Nigeria state governors provide greater proof of muddled priorities, and sometimes, outright corruption, in the administration of the States, where the chief executives and their inner circles live in insensitive luxury despite the despicable general condition of the average citizen. When they get off their jets, they usually have waiting for them all kinds of exotic cars and long convoys.
Sources told SaharaReporters that Mr. Suntai, an aviation enthusiast, owns two aircraft and a helicopter. Aviation sources also said he also owns an airstrip in his village which he built with embezzled state funds.
Governor Akpabio’s new jet puts him squarely among Nigeria’s new jet set of top government officials, connected businessmen and lavish-spending pastors, among whom luxury private jets are the new status symbol.
Latest Nigeria News
- Ondo APC Secretariat Now A Shrine, See What Members Did (photos)
- How Adams Oshiomole Wasted Edo?s N1.4 Trillion ? PDP
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover