A former councillor of Amuwo-Odofin Local Government Area of Lagos State, Onimole Babatunde, is currently being detained at the Area E Police Command, Festac, Lagos for allegedly stabbing an 18-year-old girl in the neck after she refused his advances at a night club.
PUNCH Metro learnt that on October 26, Mariam Abubakar went to Pearl Habour Night Club in Rochester Garden Hotel, Festac to “catch weekend fun.”
Her friend, who pleaded anonymity, said they only went there “to hang out” when Babatunde, who was obviously drunk, started to make advances to Abubakar.
She said, “She was not interested in him so she did not answer when he called her. He was dancing and Mariam (Abubakar) was sitting at a table. He was obviously drunk and he came to pull her.
“He was manhandling her and she insisted he should leave her alone. This did not go down well with Babatunde and he was really angry. He went to a corner, took a bottle, broke it and stabbed Mariam in the neck.”
According to the source, Babatunde fled the scene immediately.
A police source at Area E told our correspondent that the preliminary report obtained indicated that the incident occurred at about 1:30am.
He said Abubakar bled profusely at the scene before she was taken to Naval Hospital, Ojo by sympathisers at the night club.
The source said she was not admitted because those who took her there could not produce a police report.
“That was when someone notified our station (Area E Command) and we went to take her to Ajeromi General Hospital,” he said.
It was learnt that as Abubakar was being taken to the general hospital, she went into a coma.
She was said to have been revived at the general hospital. A nurse at the hospital, who craved anonymity, told our correspondent that she had lost about 20 per cent of her blood.
Abubakar is currently under intensive care at the hospital.
However, the police said the night club workers destroyed evidence at the scene of the alleged crime by cleaning up Abubakar’s blood on the floor.
The hotel has currently been sealed off by the police because the management did not report the incident.
It was learnt that the police got wind of Babatunde’s whereabouts, said to be holing up somewhere in Ikoyi and called him to simply come and write a statement. But he was detained immediately he got to the station.
The police spokesperson, Ngozi Braide, said she had not been briefed on the case.
Latest Nigeria News
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Ondo APC Secretariat Now A Shrine, See What Members Did (photos)
- How Adams Oshiomole Wasted Edo?s N1.4 Trillion ? PDP
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily