Ibinabo Fiberesima made history recently when she emerged the first female president of the Actors Guild of Nigeria. As expected, many notable actors and actresses attended her inauguration last Sunday at the upscale Rumours Night Club in Lagos.
For the first time in a long while, the event was well attended and the actual handing over took place in a warm and peaceful atmosphere. The turn-out signalled an end to the internal squabbles and controversies that had almost diminished the worth of the AGN.
In his farewell speech, the immediate past president of the AGN, Segun Arinze, described Fiberesima as the choice of an overwhelming majority of its membership.
Urging other members of the guild to put the past behind them, Arinze said, “This is a new beginning for the AGN. We must let bygones be bygones and give total support to the new president. Please, let us put an end to rancour and join hands to make the Actors Guild of Nigeria the best in Africa. History is made today as I peacefully hand over the mantle of leadership to (Ibinabo) Fiberesima.”
Nollywood diva, Genevieve Nnaji, led others to publicly declare their support for the new boss of the AGN.
“I gave the AGN a wide berth because of the previous crisis. Now, I’m back to identify with our new president (Ibinabo) Fiberisima. I’ve known her for a long time and I can vouch for her integrity and ability to get the job done. I’m glad that we’ve got the right person for the job,” Nnaji said.
In an interview with LIFE&BEAT, Fiberesima wasted no time in outlining her agenda for the Guild. “We are starting with a health insurance and pension scheme for actors and actresses in this country. It has never been done before. The motive is to put an end to the situation where actors go cap-in-hand to beg for money in times of difficulty.
“By the time we clock 100 days in office, the health insurance and the pension scheme would have been in place. As I speak with you, I’m just waiting for the data to ascertain how many actors and actresses are members of the AGN.
“It is not true that moviemakers and other stakeholders cannot gain access to the $200m Entertainment Endowment Fund with the NEXIM Bank. Some people have benefited from the loan. But we are seriously working on it. That is why the Federal Government has given us the You Win project.
“With You Win, it is easier to get funds for movies and other entertainment projects.
“As it is, my administration has a lot of work to do. I strongly believe that before the two-year tenure is over, some of the challenges facing the movie industry in Nigeria would have been professionally handled, trust me.”
Latest Nigeria News
- NSCDC Rescues 9 Year Old Boy Chained For 2 Weeks Without Food In Celestial Church
- Breaking: Buhari?s Minister Reveals How Much His Government SavesMonthly
- Troops Nab Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists PMS Suppliers
- Nigerian Navy Arrests Niger Delta Avengers? Major Logistics Supplier
- Buhari Says Nigerians Still Love Him? See Fresh Poll Shows PMB?s Real Popularity
- Another Top Supplier To ND Avengers Arrested
- Bishop In Police Net For Allegedly Sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers
- What This Boko Haram Member Was Caught Doing Will Shock You (photos)
- Bola Ige: This Is What President Buhari Told IGP To Do Immediately
- Pilot Tells EFCC: How I Transported Over N1.219bn To Fayose On An Aircraft
- EFCC Interrogates Doyin Okupe Over N162m Illicit Payment
- My Boyfriend Refused To Use Condom: Police Arrests Lovers Fighting Over S3x
- Revelations : I Drove The Bribe Money To Fayose?s Hotel Says Driver
- Fear Of Buhari: Senate Makes Very Crucial Statement
- Reuben Abati: Theresa May, Melaye and the Leader?s Wife
- How Bullion van Driver Delivered N1.2bn To Fayose?s Hotel
- 2 soldiers Killed, 7 injured in Boko Haram ambush
- PENGASSAN, NUPENG call off strike
- IPMAN urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Pipeline Bombings: Militant Group Announces 2 Week Ceasefire
- IPMAN Urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Many Feared Dead As Communal Clash Resurfaces In Benue Coomunity
- Student Stabs Landlord To Death, You Wont Believe What He Did Next
- Sen. Ben Murray-Bruce Hangs Out With His Lookalike Son, Cody (Video)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Gov. Ugwuanyi And Ogun Speaker Urge Muslims Faithful To Promote Peace And Unity
- Oduah Has No Female Domestic Staff
- Brent Oil Falls Below $50 As Nigeria Ups Production
- Breaking: Niger Delta Avengers Strike Again, Hit NNPC, Chevron Pipelines
- Alleged Fraud: Read What Happened To Diezani?s Ally In Court
- EFCC Removes Diezani From Money Laundering Trial
- Twitter Suspends Niger Delta Avengers Account
- Niger Delta Avengers Twitter Account Blocked
- Unbelievable: See What Woman Did To 9 Months Old Pregnant Woman (photos)
- Lagosians Beware: You May Go To Jail Today If You Are Caught Doing This
- Ikpeazu begs Court: I Want Appeal Against Ogah Settled At The Speed Of Light
- Yan Najeriya na kukan hauhawar farashin Kalanzir N220
- Buhari zai kaddamar da ayyukan kudu maso kudu?Jigon APC
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic zai koma Kungiyar Manchester United
- Sojoji sun kai hari ga yan?ta?addan dake neman tserewa
- Babban kotun tarayya ta mara ma Ali Modu Sherrif baya