Ibinabo Fiberesima made history recently when she emerged the first female president of the Actors Guild of Nigeria. As expected, many notable actors and actresses attended her inauguration last Sunday at the upscale Rumours Night Club in Lagos.
For the first time in a long while, the event was well attended and the actual handing over took place in a warm and peaceful atmosphere. The turn-out signalled an end to the internal squabbles and controversies that had almost diminished the worth of the AGN.
In his farewell speech, the immediate past president of the AGN, Segun Arinze, described Fiberesima as the choice of an overwhelming majority of its membership.
Urging other members of the guild to put the past behind them, Arinze said, “This is a new beginning for the AGN. We must let bygones be bygones and give total support to the new president. Please, let us put an end to rancour and join hands to make the Actors Guild of Nigeria the best in Africa. History is made today as I peacefully hand over the mantle of leadership to (Ibinabo) Fiberesima.”
Nollywood diva, Genevieve Nnaji, led others to publicly declare their support for the new boss of the AGN.
“I gave the AGN a wide berth because of the previous crisis. Now, I’m back to identify with our new president (Ibinabo) Fiberisima. I’ve known her for a long time and I can vouch for her integrity and ability to get the job done. I’m glad that we’ve got the right person for the job,” Nnaji said.
In an interview with LIFE&BEAT, Fiberesima wasted no time in outlining her agenda for the Guild. “We are starting with a health insurance and pension scheme for actors and actresses in this country. It has never been done before. The motive is to put an end to the situation where actors go cap-in-hand to beg for money in times of difficulty.
“By the time we clock 100 days in office, the health insurance and the pension scheme would have been in place. As I speak with you, I’m just waiting for the data to ascertain how many actors and actresses are members of the AGN.
“It is not true that moviemakers and other stakeholders cannot gain access to the $200m Entertainment Endowment Fund with the NEXIM Bank. Some people have benefited from the loan. But we are seriously working on it. That is why the Federal Government has given us the You Win project.
“With You Win, it is easier to get funds for movies and other entertainment projects.
“As it is, my administration has a lot of work to do. I strongly believe that before the two-year tenure is over, some of the challenges facing the movie industry in Nigeria would have been professionally handled, trust me.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well
- Jibrin Claims: Dogara Bribing Members With $25,000,
- Patoranking Reportedly Denied Entry Into Uganda