The Nigerian police force in Enugu on Monday arrested over 500 persons for allegedly being part of the purported re-declaration of Biafra as a sovereign state.
The group under the aegis of Biafra Zionist Movement had converged on an open field in Coal Camp area of Enugu where the leader, Mr. Ben Onwuka, addressed them.
However, after Onwuka’s address, policemen led by the Enugu Central Police Station Divisional Police Officer, Mr. Ike Mba, arrested him and other members of the group, who displayed Biafran, American and Israeli flags.
The suspects were arraigned before a court and remanded in police custody afterwards.
Police Public Relations Officer in Enugu State, Mr. Ebere Amaraizu, confirmed the arrests.
He said, “No fewer than 500 persons believed to be members of BZM, which is also believed to be a faction of the Movement for the Actualisation of Sovereign State of Biafra, have been arrested by the police.
“The group was led by one Ben Onwuka and the members were arrested at Akwata, off Agbani Road, Enugu. They were arrested with 61 Biafran flags, 13 berets, three bands and eight BZM forms.”
While addressing the crowd, Onwuka said, “It is clear that the security of lives and property of Biafran people is no longer guaranteed in the entity called Nigeria.
“Therefore, we have resolved to re-declare our independence today based on the mandate given to Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu on May 30, 1967 to provide our people security according to international law.
“It is clear that our people’s right to worship, according to our Christian faith, is no longer guaranteed. Therefore, we Biafra people have resolved to opt out of Nigeria.
“Today, the re-birth of the Republic of Biafra is finally actualised.
“On the international arena, the Republic of Biafra would establish and maintain a very pro-Israel international relations. Biafra would consider an attack on Israel and the Jewish people as an attack on Biafra.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Pastor Enoch Adeboye Finally Speaks On Slain Abuja Preacher
- See What Man Did To His Teenage Daughter After Catching Her In Bed With Lover (video)
- July 29, 1966: 7 Things You Should Know About The Second Military Coup in Nigeria
- Budget Padding Scandalous, Rubbishes Buhari?s Anti-Graft Crusade Says Afenifere
- 35 FRSC Crushed To Death By Drivers, 1 Loses Manhood
- Man Stoned And Burnt To Death For Stealing 3 Month Old Baby
- Stephen Keshi?s Burial Rites Commence Today
- Dogara Fights Back : Jibrin Smuggled Fake Projects Into The Budget
- Panic In Owerri Over Bombing Threat, Security Beefed Up
- I Have Not Been Paid For 5 Months Says Siasia
- Nnamdi Kanu: Biafra Restoration Not Personal Decision But Call From God Almighty
- Buhari Spits Fire: This Is What I Will Do To Corrupt APC Members
- NSCDC Rescues 9 Year Old Boy Chained For 2 Weeks Without Food In Celestial Church
- Breaking: Buhari?s Minister Reveals How Much His Government SavesMonthly
- Troops Nab Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists PMS Suppliers
- Nigerian Navy Arrests Niger Delta Avengers? Major Logistics Supplier
- Buhari Says Nigerians Still Love Him? See Fresh Poll Shows PMB?s Real Popularity
- Another Top Supplier To ND Avengers Arrested
- Bishop In Police Net For Allegedly Sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers
- What This Boko Haram Member Was Caught Doing Will Shock You (photos)
- Bola Ige: This Is What President Buhari Told IGP To Do Immediately
- Pilot Tells EFCC: How I Transported Over N1.219bn To Fayose On An Aircraft
- EFCC Interrogates Doyin Okupe Over N162m Illicit Payment
- My Boyfriend Refused To Use Condom: Police Arrests Lovers Fighting Over S3x
- Revelations : I Drove The Bribe Money To Fayose?s Hotel Says Driver
- Fear Of Buhari: Senate Makes Very Crucial Statement
- Reuben Abati: Theresa May, Melaye and the Leader?s Wife
- How Bullion van Driver Delivered N1.2bn To Fayose?s Hotel
- 2 soldiers Killed, 7 injured in Boko Haram ambush
- PENGASSAN, NUPENG call off strike
- IPMAN urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Pipeline Bombings: Militant Group Announces 2 Week Ceasefire
- IPMAN Urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Many Feared Dead As Communal Clash Resurfaces In Benue Coomunity
- Student Stabs Landlord To Death, You Wont Believe What He Did Next
- Sen. Ben Murray-Bruce Hangs Out With His Lookalike Son, Cody (Video)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Gov. Ugwuanyi And Ogun Speaker Urge Muslims Faithful To Promote Peace And Unity
- Oduah Has No Female Domestic Staff
- Brent Oil Falls Below $50 As Nigeria Ups Production
- Breaking: Niger Delta Avengers Strike Again, Hit NNPC, Chevron Pipelines