An average of 30 Nigerian girls are being trafficked into Mali daily, the Nigerian Ambassador to the West African country, Mr. Iliya Nuhu, said on Sunday.
According to him, the girls are between the ages of 10 and 15.
Nuhu, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria in Bamako, lamented that the problem had grown in “magnitude and sophistication’’.
The envoy said the practice was a “kind of modern day slavery’’ with Nigerians going to their villages or towns to recruit young girls.
He said the traffickers were taking advantage of Nigeria’s economic problems to lure their victims with promises of setting them up in “very lucrative businesses abroad’’.
Nuhu said, “These people (traffickers) tell them about businesses which are not there and these girls, with very loose parental upbringing, fall for their tricks.
“They go to Nigeria to source these girls and sell them off to their cronies not only in Mali but in other countries; but we are able to work in cooperation with these countries to map out the routes the traffickers follow.
“Since August, we have assisted not less than 30 of these girls to return to the country and this is a daily routine that the embassy and the staff go through.
“From what I gathered from the Nigerian community in Mali, an average of 20 to 30 girls are being trafficked into this country every day and those we get are those who raise the alarm.’’
He said the embassy was working with the Malian police to identify the traffickers, adding that he had written a memo to Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Abuja, to work out a strategy to solve the problem.
He said, “We, however, call on the Federal Government to work with NAPTIP or take appraisal of what they are doing and see if there are gaps to be filled so that they can have the capacity to do this job.
“NAPTIP also should be able to have the necessary information through their own network to be able to follow up these routes and study the mode of operation of the traffickers and beat them to it.’’
NAN spoke to two of four girls rescued from the traffickers.
Joy Monday, a hairdresser, said a woman came to her hometown, Auchi, Edo, to lure her to Mali.
She said, “The woman told me that I can make between N5,000 and N7,000 fixing one person’s hair in Mali only to discover on getting here that I am to be a prostitute and I was rescued by a man who brought me to the embassy.”
Another victim, Chidinma Ubah, said a man called Sunny, brought her to Mali, promising her that he was taking her to Europe.
She said she sought refuge in a police station when she discovered that she was to be a prostitute.
Nuhu said arrangements were being made to return the girls to Nigeria.
Latest Nigeria News
- Pastor Enoch Adeboye Finally Speaks On Slain Abuja Preacher
- See What Man Did To His Teenage Daughter After Catching Her In Bed With Lover (video)
- July 29, 1966: 7 Things You Should Know About The Second Military Coup in Nigeria
- Budget Padding Scandalous, Rubbishes Buhari?s Anti-Graft Crusade Says Afenifere
- 35 FRSC Crushed To Death By Drivers, 1 Loses Manhood
- Man Stoned And Burnt To Death For Stealing 3 Month Old Baby
- Stephen Keshi?s Burial Rites Commence Today
- Dogara Fights Back : Jibrin Smuggled Fake Projects Into The Budget
- Panic In Owerri Over Bombing Threat, Security Beefed Up
- I Have Not Been Paid For 5 Months Says Siasia
- Nnamdi Kanu: Biafra Restoration Not Personal Decision But Call From God Almighty
- Buhari Spits Fire: This Is What I Will Do To Corrupt APC Members
- NSCDC Rescues 9 Year Old Boy Chained For 2 Weeks Without Food In Celestial Church
- Breaking: Buhari?s Minister Reveals How Much His Government SavesMonthly
- Troops Nab Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists PMS Suppliers
- Nigerian Navy Arrests Niger Delta Avengers? Major Logistics Supplier
- Buhari Says Nigerians Still Love Him? See Fresh Poll Shows PMB?s Real Popularity
- Another Top Supplier To ND Avengers Arrested
- Bishop In Police Net For Allegedly Sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers
- What This Boko Haram Member Was Caught Doing Will Shock You (photos)
- Bola Ige: This Is What President Buhari Told IGP To Do Immediately
- Pilot Tells EFCC: How I Transported Over N1.219bn To Fayose On An Aircraft
- EFCC Interrogates Doyin Okupe Over N162m Illicit Payment
- My Boyfriend Refused To Use Condom: Police Arrests Lovers Fighting Over S3x
- Revelations : I Drove The Bribe Money To Fayose?s Hotel Says Driver
- Fear Of Buhari: Senate Makes Very Crucial Statement
- Reuben Abati: Theresa May, Melaye and the Leader?s Wife
- How Bullion van Driver Delivered N1.2bn To Fayose?s Hotel
- 2 soldiers Killed, 7 injured in Boko Haram ambush
- PENGASSAN, NUPENG call off strike
- IPMAN urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Pipeline Bombings: Militant Group Announces 2 Week Ceasefire
- IPMAN Urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Many Feared Dead As Communal Clash Resurfaces In Benue Coomunity
- Student Stabs Landlord To Death, You Wont Believe What He Did Next
- Sen. Ben Murray-Bruce Hangs Out With His Lookalike Son, Cody (Video)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Gov. Ugwuanyi And Ogun Speaker Urge Muslims Faithful To Promote Peace And Unity
- Oduah Has No Female Domestic Staff
- Brent Oil Falls Below $50 As Nigeria Ups Production
- Breaking: Niger Delta Avengers Strike Again, Hit NNPC, Chevron Pipelines