Gunmen have shot dead five Christian residents of a town in a restive northeastern Nigerian region previously hit by deadly Islamist attacks, the police said Sunday.
The gunmen stormed the home of five Christian ethnic Igbos from eastern Nigeria in Gaidam town late Saturday and shot them dead before fleeing, state police commissioner Patrick Egbuniwe said.
“The gunmen broke into the home of the Igbo iron welders after they had closed from work and shot them dead. The attackers escaped and no one has been arrested for the attack,” he told AFP.
Gaidam, which lies 135 kilometres (84 miles) from the Yobe state capital Damaturu and near the border with Niger, is the hometown of state governor Ibrahim Gaidam.
It is not clear if the assailants killed them because they were Christians.
Egbuniwe did not say whether Boko Haram was behind the killing.
In November last year, the Islamist militant group launched coordinated bombings and shooting attacks on the town.
Armed with Kalashnikov rifles, the Islamists hurled explosives at Gaidam police station, freed suspects, stole arms, rampaged through the town, burning six churches, a high court, a shopping complex and robbing a bank.
On Friday, gunmen killed three policemen and set ablaze three churches and a school in the town of Bonny Yadi in the volatile state, a military spokesman said.
Nigeria’s northeast has been hard hit by deadly attacks blamed on Boko Haram.
Attacks by the group and the security forces’ response to the insurgency are believed to have claimed more than 2,800 lives since 2009.
Latest Nigeria News
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Ondo APC Secretariat Now A Shrine, See What Members Did (photos)
- How Adams Oshiomole Wasted Edo?s N1.4 Trillion ? PDP
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily