Bishop Archibong Archibong, Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Cross River chapter, on Sunday expressed optimism that Nigeria would be more prosperous in 2013 and beyond.
He also criticised the nudity in the just concluded Calabar Carnival, saying that it was not the culture of Africa.
Archibong made the comments while addressing newsmen in Calabar, saying that nudity in carnival was not the best for the state.
He said his new year message to Nigerians was that Christians should have hope in the coming year. “No matter what happens, no matter the tribulations of 2012, the word of God says that the path of the righteous is like the shining light.
“It shines more and more into a perfect day, we must have hope in God and believe that next year, things will be better,’’ he said. He urged Christians to put their trust in God and love one another, irrespective of the challenges faced in the country.
“We are hoping that things will be better because of God, we should put our trust in him, believe in him and then begin to love one another and share the message of love,’’ he said.
According to him, Christianity is all about love and “I believe that every religion is about love; once there is love, things will certainly change”.
The CAN chairman said that challenges were part of life “ and where there is no challenge, there is no promotion, problems are examination for promotion’’.
“Each time we pass through severe moment and tribulations, is only encouraging us that something better is on our way. So I give hope and believe that next year will be better,’’ Archibong said.
He, however, said there was no nudity in Calabar Carnival when the former Governor, Mr Donald Duke, started it.
SCROLL DOWN FOR PHOTOS
“We need to be very careful because the way we are going now in this carnival thing, we are completely forgetting about morals.
“The way people dance is now sexual, it shows that there is no shame among our women, there is no modesty.
“The people came in and borrowing us the culture that is not our culture and women staying almost naked only with pants and brassiers. “I don’t think it is good for this state or any part of the nation; it is not our culture and I believe strongly that we should not encourage it.
“We should go back to decency and modesty is most important thing.” Archibong called on organisers of the carnival to fine tune the ways participants should dance and dress during the event.
He said that moral implication of nudity was bad in a Christian life, adding that the culture of a black man did not accept it.
“In our culture, women should be respected, all their bodies should be covered and is not something that is nice, I felt bad when I saw it.
“Apart from Christianity, in our culture, it is unacceptable. It is bad and it is wrong and when something is bad we need to condemn it.
“The way we are going, we are indirectly getting too lose and what about the younger generation that is coming. “We are bringing this younger ones from primary and secondary schools in to this carnival.
“What lessons are we leaving behind, I don’t think any right thinking person will accept that in our culture,’’ Archibong said.
On the security challenges faced by the nation, he called on Nigerians to keep trusting and praying to God. “Let’s start praying and then this excessive exposure of our material wealth is the cause.
The 2012 edition of one of Africa's biggest street carnivals, the Calabar International Carnival, lived up to expectations as it attracted more foreign tourists who visited Calabar for the carnival.
It is gradually matching up to the standard big carnivals like the Nottinghill Carnival in the UK and the Rio Carnival in Brazil have set.
Even with absence of the ailing governor of the state, Liyel Imoke, the carnival didn't fail to hold as the atmosphere around the streets of Calabar was lively. Top Africa's pay-TV provider, DSTV did a live broadcast of the event. Both local and international media had their reporters covering the carnival.
Brazilian Sampa performed on the stage right before the performance of TRINADAD AND TOBAGO who used drums and acoustics to play many local tunes.
2012 CALABAR INTERNATIONA CARNIVAL is great fun filled event that truly worths all the troubles and roads closed to allow the processions of the entertainers. The carnival was started by Donald Duke, governor of the state between 1999-2007.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Will RCCG Ever Remain The Same? Nigerians React To Pastor Adeboye's Retirement
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu
- Floods Wash Snakes Into Plateau Community
- Sad! Gunmen Kill Bricklayer Working To Pay For Father’s Treatment
- OMG!! Woman Borrows Twins To Defraud Ex-Commissioner
- Shocking!! I Raped 11 Year Old Girl Purely For Money Rituals - Baba Mohammed
- 54 Commercial S3x Workers And 56 Patronizers Arrested In Calabar Hotel
- La Casera Fires Hundreds Of Workers And Shuts Down Operations
- Governor Rochas Okorocha Exposed, See Shocking Images