Bishop Archibong Archibong, Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Cross River chapter, on Sunday expressed optimism that Nigeria would be more prosperous in 2013 and beyond.
He also criticised the nudity in the just concluded Calabar Carnival, saying that it was not the culture of Africa.
Archibong made the comments while addressing newsmen in Calabar, saying that nudity in carnival was not the best for the state.
He said his new year message to Nigerians was that Christians should have hope in the coming year. “No matter what happens, no matter the tribulations of 2012, the word of God says that the path of the righteous is like the shining light.
“It shines more and more into a perfect day, we must have hope in God and believe that next year, things will be better,’’ he said. He urged Christians to put their trust in God and love one another, irrespective of the challenges faced in the country.
“We are hoping that things will be better because of God, we should put our trust in him, believe in him and then begin to love one another and share the message of love,’’ he said.
According to him, Christianity is all about love and “I believe that every religion is about love; once there is love, things will certainly change”.
The CAN chairman said that challenges were part of life “ and where there is no challenge, there is no promotion, problems are examination for promotion’’.
“Each time we pass through severe moment and tribulations, is only encouraging us that something better is on our way. So I give hope and believe that next year will be better,’’ Archibong said.
He, however, said there was no nudity in Calabar Carnival when the former Governor, Mr Donald Duke, started it.
SCROLL DOWN FOR PHOTOS
“We need to be very careful because the way we are going now in this carnival thing, we are completely forgetting about morals.
“The way people dance is now sexual, it shows that there is no shame among our women, there is no modesty.
“The people came in and borrowing us the culture that is not our culture and women staying almost naked only with pants and brassiers. “I don’t think it is good for this state or any part of the nation; it is not our culture and I believe strongly that we should not encourage it.
“We should go back to decency and modesty is most important thing.” Archibong called on organisers of the carnival to fine tune the ways participants should dance and dress during the event.
He said that moral implication of nudity was bad in a Christian life, adding that the culture of a black man did not accept it.
“In our culture, women should be respected, all their bodies should be covered and is not something that is nice, I felt bad when I saw it.
“Apart from Christianity, in our culture, it is unacceptable. It is bad and it is wrong and when something is bad we need to condemn it.
“The way we are going, we are indirectly getting too lose and what about the younger generation that is coming. “We are bringing this younger ones from primary and secondary schools in to this carnival.
“What lessons are we leaving behind, I don’t think any right thinking person will accept that in our culture,’’ Archibong said.
On the security challenges faced by the nation, he called on Nigerians to keep trusting and praying to God. “Let’s start praying and then this excessive exposure of our material wealth is the cause.
The 2012 edition of one of Africa's biggest street carnivals, the Calabar International Carnival, lived up to expectations as it attracted more foreign tourists who visited Calabar for the carnival.
It is gradually matching up to the standard big carnivals like the Nottinghill Carnival in the UK and the Rio Carnival in Brazil have set.
Even with absence of the ailing governor of the state, Liyel Imoke, the carnival didn't fail to hold as the atmosphere around the streets of Calabar was lively. Top Africa's pay-TV provider, DSTV did a live broadcast of the event. Both local and international media had their reporters covering the carnival.
Brazilian Sampa performed on the stage right before the performance of TRINADAD AND TOBAGO who used drums and acoustics to play many local tunes.
2012 CALABAR INTERNATIONA CARNIVAL is great fun filled event that truly worths all the troubles and roads closed to allow the processions of the entertainers. The carnival was started by Donald Duke, governor of the state between 1999-2007.
Latest Nigeria News
- Army Releases Arrested Tompolo Associates
- Governor Fayose Blasts President Buhari In New Fierce Attack
- Pastor Enoch Adeboye Finally Speaks On Slain Abuja Preacher
- See What Man Did To His Teenage Daughter After Catching Her In Bed With Lover (video)
- July 29, 1966: 7 Things You Should Know About The Second Military Coup in Nigeria
- Budget Padding Scandalous, Rubbishes Buhari?s Anti-Graft Crusade Says Afenifere
- 35 FRSC Crushed To Death By Drivers, 1 Loses Manhood
- Man Stoned And Burnt To Death For Stealing 3 Month Old Baby
- Stephen Keshi?s Burial Rites Commence Today
- Dogara Fights Back : Jibrin Smuggled Fake Projects Into The Budget
- Panic In Owerri Over Bombing Threat, Security Beefed Up
- I Have Not Been Paid For 5 Months Says Siasia
- Nnamdi Kanu: Biafra Restoration Not Personal Decision But Call From God Almighty
- Buhari Spits Fire: This Is What I Will Do To Corrupt APC Members
- NSCDC Rescues 9 Year Old Boy Chained For 2 Weeks Without Food In Celestial Church
- Breaking: Buhari?s Minister Reveals How Much His Government SavesMonthly
- Troops Nab Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists PMS Suppliers
- Nigerian Navy Arrests Niger Delta Avengers? Major Logistics Supplier
- Buhari Says Nigerians Still Love Him? See Fresh Poll Shows PMB?s Real Popularity
- Another Top Supplier To ND Avengers Arrested
- Bishop In Police Net For Allegedly Sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers
- What This Boko Haram Member Was Caught Doing Will Shock You (photos)
- Bola Ige: This Is What President Buhari Told IGP To Do Immediately
- Pilot Tells EFCC: How I Transported Over N1.219bn To Fayose On An Aircraft
- EFCC Interrogates Doyin Okupe Over N162m Illicit Payment
- My Boyfriend Refused To Use Condom: Police Arrests Lovers Fighting Over S3x
- Revelations : I Drove The Bribe Money To Fayose?s Hotel Says Driver
- Fear Of Buhari: Senate Makes Very Crucial Statement
- Reuben Abati: Theresa May, Melaye and the Leader?s Wife
- How Bullion van Driver Delivered N1.2bn To Fayose?s Hotel
- 2 soldiers Killed, 7 injured in Boko Haram ambush
- PENGASSAN, NUPENG call off strike
- IPMAN urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Pipeline Bombings: Militant Group Announces 2 Week Ceasefire
- IPMAN Urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Many Feared Dead As Communal Clash Resurfaces In Benue Coomunity
- Student Stabs Landlord To Death, You Wont Believe What He Did Next
- Sen. Ben Murray-Bruce Hangs Out With His Lookalike Son, Cody (Video)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Gov. Ugwuanyi And Ogun Speaker Urge Muslims Faithful To Promote Peace And Unity
- Oduah Has No Female Domestic Staff