An accident at Igbogui market along the Ore-Benin highway has claimed the lives of dozens of Nigerians. Eyewitnesses told Saharareporters that over seventy passengers died when a luxury bus belonging to the Young Shall Grow Transport Company collided with a Dangote tanker laden with pms(fuel). The Federal Road Safety Corp (FRSC), however, reported that 36 persons died.
In a press release issued by the FRSC, the agency gave the cause of the accident as a tyre malfunction on the Dangote truck. “Preliminary reports from the FRSC indicated that a tyre from the Dangote truck suddenly pulled out and rammed into the Tanker which caught fire immediately,” the Press Release says. “The luxury bus which was on speed, lost control and ran into the blazing fire, consuming its occupants.”
The FRSC said it rescued three passengers while 30 others died from the luxury bus. The tanker driver and his conductor were also reported killed in addition to two children who died when the fire spread to a nearby mechanic garage. The FRSC reported that eight other vehicles were burned.
The luxury bus originated from Jibowu station and was headed for Enugu with 30 passengers.
The Benin-Ore highway is famed for its perennial maintenance problems and numerous safety concerns that periodically lead to accidents. Drivers on the road are also known to drive recklessly.
The gridlock caused by the accident forced the FRSC to divert traffic away from Benin-Ore road at Oluku junction to Ifon-Owo-Akure road to Lagos.
According to the Press Release signed by the FRSC Public Education officer, Jonas Agwu, the agency has been concerned about the recent spate of road accidents. The agency blamed speeding and reckless driving for the accidents. “The Federal Road Safety Corps has concluded plans to evoke its statutory mandate by instituting legal actions against the driver and transport operators whose vehicles are responsible for such crashes,” Mr. Agwu said.
The FRSC also resolved “to assist victims and relations of road crash victims to seek compensation from such fleet operators
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)