An accident at Igbogui market along the Ore-Benin highway has claimed the lives of dozens of Nigerians. Eyewitnesses told Saharareporters that over seventy passengers died when a luxury bus belonging to the Young Shall Grow Transport Company collided with a Dangote tanker laden with pms(fuel). The Federal Road Safety Corp (FRSC), however, reported that 36 persons died.
In a press release issued by the FRSC, the agency gave the cause of the accident as a tyre malfunction on the Dangote truck. “Preliminary reports from the FRSC indicated that a tyre from the Dangote truck suddenly pulled out and rammed into the Tanker which caught fire immediately,” the Press Release says. “The luxury bus which was on speed, lost control and ran into the blazing fire, consuming its occupants.”
The FRSC said it rescued three passengers while 30 others died from the luxury bus. The tanker driver and his conductor were also reported killed in addition to two children who died when the fire spread to a nearby mechanic garage. The FRSC reported that eight other vehicles were burned.
The luxury bus originated from Jibowu station and was headed for Enugu with 30 passengers.
The Benin-Ore highway is famed for its perennial maintenance problems and numerous safety concerns that periodically lead to accidents. Drivers on the road are also known to drive recklessly.
The gridlock caused by the accident forced the FRSC to divert traffic away from Benin-Ore road at Oluku junction to Ifon-Owo-Akure road to Lagos.
According to the Press Release signed by the FRSC Public Education officer, Jonas Agwu, the agency has been concerned about the recent spate of road accidents. The agency blamed speeding and reckless driving for the accidents. “The Federal Road Safety Corps has concluded plans to evoke its statutory mandate by instituting legal actions against the driver and transport operators whose vehicles are responsible for such crashes,” Mr. Agwu said.
The FRSC also resolved “to assist victims and relations of road crash victims to seek compensation from such fleet operators
Latest Nigeria News
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Ondo APC Secretariat Now A Shrine, See What Members Did (photos)
- How Adams Oshiomole Wasted Edo?s N1.4 Trillion ? PDP
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily