A young woman is seeking asylum in Britain after she spurned the advances of the polyamorous King Mswati III of Swaziland and refused to join his harem of 13 wives.
Tintswalo Ngobeni, 22, fled to England from the southern African nation as a teenager after she caught the attention of the millionaire monarch, a notoriously oppressive ruler known for his lavish lifestyle.
As part of Swazi custom, King Mswati III, 45, is permitted to choose a new bride every year.
Miss Ngobeni, who now lives in Birmingham, was just 15 when the King made his advances after seeing her at the palace of his fourth wife, LaNgangaza. She said she was ‘terrified’ when she learned of his marriage intentions.
She added: ‘He started calling me at boarding school. He would ask me if I wanted to be a part of the royal family. I had to keep quiet about my fears but I knew I didn’t want to get married to him and have a life devoted to the king.
'His wives are kept in their palace, surrounded by bodyguards, and they can’t really go anywhere unless the king says so. The only thing they do is go to America once a year, as the king gives them a shopping allowance.'
Miss Ngobeni was forced to abandon a comfortable lifestyle in a private boarding school as her aunt, who was her chief guardian, arranged the escape to England to join her mother, who moved to Birmingham five years earlier, fleeing an abusive husband.
Scroll down for video
Culture: The Reed Dance ceremony, pictured, is known as Umhlanga and sees thousands of Swaziland's 'prettiest virgins' dance topless for King Mswati III, every August, hoping to be his next wife.
Fears: Miss Ngobeni believes she could be arrested or even killed if she has to return to Swaziland
‘I didn’t have a choice,’ she said. ‘Nobody has ever turned down the king or dares to disobey him, so I just disappeared.’
Since her arrival in England, Miss Ngobeni has become a vocal opponent of the oppressive Swazi regime, where political opposition parties are banned and activists routinely arrested or assaulted.
Amorous: As part of Swazi custom, King Mswati II, 45, is permitted to choose a new bride every year
However, Miss Ngobeni’s high-profile activities, including weekly protests outside the Swazi embassy in London with activist group Swazi Vigil, have caught the attention of the authorities in her home country and she now believes she is in more danger than ever.
She said: ‘Recently I had news that people had been sent from Swaziland to come and get me, which really scares me. If I went back, I would be arrested or much worse as there are people there who are tortured, beaten up or killed for being politically active.’
Miss Ngobeni now lives in fear of having to return to Swaziland, after her first plea for political asylum in England in 2007 was denied in 2011.
Last month, she was arrested and taken to an immigration detention centre after 18 months of reporting weekly to the authorities.
However, after pressure from the TUC and the office of Roger Godsiff, Labour MP for Birmingham, Miss Ngobeni was released and has now been granted an appeal by the Home Office.
Mr Godsiff said yesterday: ‘We were very pleased solicitors were successful in achieving a judicial review into Miss Ngobeni’s case.’
The father of 27 children, King Mswati III was a guest at the William and Kate wedding as well as the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations last summer.
The king’s sixth wife escaped from the royal harem last year, citing years of ‘emotional and physical abuse’ by her husband.
A spokesman from the Home Office refused to comment.
Latest Nigeria News
- Nnamdi Kanu: Biafra Restoration Not Personal Decision But Call From God Almighty
- Buhari Spits Fire: This Is What I Will Do To Corrupt APC Members
- NSCDC Rescues 9 Year Old Boy Chained For 2 Weeks Without Food In Celestial Church
- Breaking: Buhari?s Minister Reveals How Much His Government SavesMonthly
- Troops Nab Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists PMS Suppliers
- Nigerian Navy Arrests Niger Delta Avengers? Major Logistics Supplier
- Buhari Says Nigerians Still Love Him? See Fresh Poll Shows PMB?s Real Popularity
- Another Top Supplier To ND Avengers Arrested
- Bishop In Police Net For Allegedly Sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers
- What This Boko Haram Member Was Caught Doing Will Shock You (photos)
- Bola Ige: This Is What President Buhari Told IGP To Do Immediately
- Pilot Tells EFCC: How I Transported Over N1.219bn To Fayose On An Aircraft
- EFCC Interrogates Doyin Okupe Over N162m Illicit Payment
- My Boyfriend Refused To Use Condom: Police Arrests Lovers Fighting Over S3x
- Revelations : I Drove The Bribe Money To Fayose?s Hotel Says Driver
- Fear Of Buhari: Senate Makes Very Crucial Statement
- Reuben Abati: Theresa May, Melaye and the Leader?s Wife
- How Bullion van Driver Delivered N1.2bn To Fayose?s Hotel
- 2 soldiers Killed, 7 injured in Boko Haram ambush
- PENGASSAN, NUPENG call off strike
- IPMAN urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Pipeline Bombings: Militant Group Announces 2 Week Ceasefire
- IPMAN Urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Many Feared Dead As Communal Clash Resurfaces In Benue Coomunity
- Student Stabs Landlord To Death, You Wont Believe What He Did Next
- Sen. Ben Murray-Bruce Hangs Out With His Lookalike Son, Cody (Video)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Gov. Ugwuanyi And Ogun Speaker Urge Muslims Faithful To Promote Peace And Unity
- Oduah Has No Female Domestic Staff
- Brent Oil Falls Below $50 As Nigeria Ups Production
- Breaking: Niger Delta Avengers Strike Again, Hit NNPC, Chevron Pipelines
- Alleged Fraud: Read What Happened To Diezani?s Ally In Court
- EFCC Removes Diezani From Money Laundering Trial
- Twitter Suspends Niger Delta Avengers Account
- Niger Delta Avengers Twitter Account Blocked
- Unbelievable: See What Woman Did To 9 Months Old Pregnant Woman (photos)
- Lagosians Beware: You May Go To Jail Today If You Are Caught Doing This
- Ikpeazu begs Court: I Want Appeal Against Ogah Settled At The Speed Of Light
- Yan Najeriya na kukan hauhawar farashin Kalanzir N220
- Buhari zai kaddamar da ayyukan kudu maso kudu?Jigon APC
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic zai koma Kungiyar Manchester United