The Ondo State Government on Thursday deposed the Deji of Akure, Oba Oluwadare Adesina, “with immediate effect.”
A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Olusegun Mimiko, Mr. Kolawole Olabisi, said the decision was reached at a meeting of the State Executive Council presided in Akure.
The statement said the government subsequently directed Akure kingmakers and the Akure South Local Government to immediately commence the process leading to the emergence and installation of a new Deji of Akure.
Adesina had, on May 30, 2010, allegedly invaded no 141 Hospital Road, Akure, in company with Olori Remi Abiola- Adesina and assaulted his estranged wife, Olori Bolanle . In the course of the attack, Bolanle sustained serious injuries.
The statement also said that in order to forestall the breakdown of law and order in the state capital, the deposed monarch had been banished and ordered not to step into Akure for a period of six months “in the first instance.”
The statement did not, however, say where the dethroned Oba was banished to.
It explained that the decision was based “on the provisions of Section 17 (1) and (2) of the Chiefs law 1984 as amended, that vested the State Executive Council with the powers to suspend or depose any chief if it considers such suspension or deposition to be reasonably justifiable.”
The statement said the government had taken note of “the outrage, protest and condemnation that greeted Oba Adesina’s conduct as demonstrated by the protest embarked upon by the National Council of Women Societies, the Federation of Women lawyers, among others.
It added that on May 30, 2010, Adesina “conducted himself in the most dishonourable, condemnable and disgraceful manner and has by that conduct brought the institution of Obaship and the stool of Deji to disrepute and public odium and his various acts are against public order, public safety/ public morality and not in accordance with the customs, tradition and public order and morality.”
It stated that various reports of security agencies in the state found the monarch culpable, adding that Adesina’s response to the query issued to him by the state Commissioner of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs on June 3, 2010 was “completely unsatisfactory as his conduct was unbecoming and has eroded the sanctity, dignity and respect of the stool of Deji of Akureland.”
The SEC also noted the reaction of the State Council of Obas, which on June 3, 2010 suspended Adesina, pending the final decision of the state government.
After the meeting, the Commissioner for Information, Mr. Ranti Akerele, briefed journalists in company with the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Eyitayo Jegede (SAN); the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mr. Diran Iyatan; and the Commissioner for Special Duties, Mr. Niran Sule-Akinsuyi.
Akerele said the kingmakers had been directed to nominate three regents from the ruling house and send their names to the state government, to enable the SEC to approve the best person to handle the affairs of the town.
The regent will be in charge until the formal selection of a new monarch, who will emerge through the acceptable tradition and norms of the town.
The development came just as the Commissioner of Police, Ondo State Command, Mr. Mogaji Nasarawa, confirmed to our correspondent on the telephone that the deposed Deji was already in police custody.
Nasarawa explained that Adesina was arrested on the strength of a directive from the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Ogbonna Onovo, after going through the report of the state command on the ex-monarch’s action.
Nasarawa added that Adesina would be charged to court based on the criminal aspect of his alleged attack on his wife.
However, Akerele explained that the former Deji would be relocated to a safe place somewhere in the state for an initial period of six months pending further decisions of security agencies on him.
He said, “Before arriving at this decision, government took its time to study the reports of the security agencies, reports from well-meaning Akure citizens on both sides of the divide and particularly the response of the deposed monarch to a query issued by the relevant office of government.
“Government also studied the position of the State Council of Traditional Rulers before arriving at the decision, which it believes is in the best interest of the people of Akure and the larger society.
“Government has been deliberate, meticulous and firm in looking at all the facts. We have taken our time to follow the provisions of the law in taking our decisions, issues involved.”
Latest Nigeria News
- NSCDC Rescues 9 Year Old Boy Chained For 2 Weeks Without Food In Celestial Church
- Breaking: Buhari?s Minister Reveals How Much His Government SavesMonthly
- Troops Nab Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists PMS Suppliers
- Nigerian Navy Arrests Niger Delta Avengers? Major Logistics Supplier
- Buhari Says Nigerians Still Love Him? See Fresh Poll Shows PMB?s Real Popularity
- Another Top Supplier To ND Avengers Arrested
- Bishop In Police Net For Allegedly Sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers
- What This Boko Haram Member Was Caught Doing Will Shock You (photos)
- Bola Ige: This Is What President Buhari Told IGP To Do Immediately
- Pilot Tells EFCC: How I Transported Over N1.219bn To Fayose On An Aircraft
- EFCC Interrogates Doyin Okupe Over N162m Illicit Payment
- My Boyfriend Refused To Use Condom: Police Arrests Lovers Fighting Over S3x
- Revelations : I Drove The Bribe Money To Fayose?s Hotel Says Driver
- Fear Of Buhari: Senate Makes Very Crucial Statement
- Reuben Abati: Theresa May, Melaye and the Leader?s Wife
- How Bullion van Driver Delivered N1.2bn To Fayose?s Hotel
- 2 soldiers Killed, 7 injured in Boko Haram ambush
- PENGASSAN, NUPENG call off strike
- IPMAN urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Pipeline Bombings: Militant Group Announces 2 Week Ceasefire
- IPMAN Urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Many Feared Dead As Communal Clash Resurfaces In Benue Coomunity
- Student Stabs Landlord To Death, You Wont Believe What He Did Next
- Sen. Ben Murray-Bruce Hangs Out With His Lookalike Son, Cody (Video)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Gov. Ugwuanyi And Ogun Speaker Urge Muslims Faithful To Promote Peace And Unity
- Oduah Has No Female Domestic Staff
- Brent Oil Falls Below $50 As Nigeria Ups Production
- Breaking: Niger Delta Avengers Strike Again, Hit NNPC, Chevron Pipelines
- Alleged Fraud: Read What Happened To Diezani?s Ally In Court
- EFCC Removes Diezani From Money Laundering Trial
- Twitter Suspends Niger Delta Avengers Account
- Niger Delta Avengers Twitter Account Blocked
- Unbelievable: See What Woman Did To 9 Months Old Pregnant Woman (photos)
- Lagosians Beware: You May Go To Jail Today If You Are Caught Doing This
- Ikpeazu begs Court: I Want Appeal Against Ogah Settled At The Speed Of Light
- Yan Najeriya na kukan hauhawar farashin Kalanzir N220
- Buhari zai kaddamar da ayyukan kudu maso kudu?Jigon APC
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic zai koma Kungiyar Manchester United
- Sojoji sun kai hari ga yan?ta?addan dake neman tserewa
- Babban kotun tarayya ta mara ma Ali Modu Sherrif baya