The Ondo State Government on Thursday deposed the Deji of Akure, Oba Oluwadare Adesina, “with immediate effect.”
A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Olusegun Mimiko, Mr. Kolawole Olabisi, said the decision was reached at a meeting of the State Executive Council presided in Akure.
The statement said the government subsequently directed Akure kingmakers and the Akure South Local Government to immediately commence the process leading to the emergence and installation of a new Deji of Akure.
Adesina had, on May 30, 2010, allegedly invaded no 141 Hospital Road, Akure, in company with Olori Remi Abiola- Adesina and assaulted his estranged wife, Olori Bolanle . In the course of the attack, Bolanle sustained serious injuries.
The statement also said that in order to forestall the breakdown of law and order in the state capital, the deposed monarch had been banished and ordered not to step into Akure for a period of six months “in the first instance.”
The statement did not, however, say where the dethroned Oba was banished to.
It explained that the decision was based “on the provisions of Section 17 (1) and (2) of the Chiefs law 1984 as amended, that vested the State Executive Council with the powers to suspend or depose any chief if it considers such suspension or deposition to be reasonably justifiable.”
The statement said the government had taken note of “the outrage, protest and condemnation that greeted Oba Adesina’s conduct as demonstrated by the protest embarked upon by the National Council of Women Societies, the Federation of Women lawyers, among others.
It added that on May 30, 2010, Adesina “conducted himself in the most dishonourable, condemnable and disgraceful manner and has by that conduct brought the institution of Obaship and the stool of Deji to disrepute and public odium and his various acts are against public order, public safety/ public morality and not in accordance with the customs, tradition and public order and morality.”
It stated that various reports of security agencies in the state found the monarch culpable, adding that Adesina’s response to the query issued to him by the state Commissioner of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs on June 3, 2010 was “completely unsatisfactory as his conduct was unbecoming and has eroded the sanctity, dignity and respect of the stool of Deji of Akureland.”
The SEC also noted the reaction of the State Council of Obas, which on June 3, 2010 suspended Adesina, pending the final decision of the state government.
After the meeting, the Commissioner for Information, Mr. Ranti Akerele, briefed journalists in company with the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Eyitayo Jegede (SAN); the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mr. Diran Iyatan; and the Commissioner for Special Duties, Mr. Niran Sule-Akinsuyi.
Akerele said the kingmakers had been directed to nominate three regents from the ruling house and send their names to the state government, to enable the SEC to approve the best person to handle the affairs of the town.
The regent will be in charge until the formal selection of a new monarch, who will emerge through the acceptable tradition and norms of the town.
The development came just as the Commissioner of Police, Ondo State Command, Mr. Mogaji Nasarawa, confirmed to our correspondent on the telephone that the deposed Deji was already in police custody.
Nasarawa explained that Adesina was arrested on the strength of a directive from the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Ogbonna Onovo, after going through the report of the state command on the ex-monarch’s action.
Nasarawa added that Adesina would be charged to court based on the criminal aspect of his alleged attack on his wife.
However, Akerele explained that the former Deji would be relocated to a safe place somewhere in the state for an initial period of six months pending further decisions of security agencies on him.
He said, “Before arriving at this decision, government took its time to study the reports of the security agencies, reports from well-meaning Akure citizens on both sides of the divide and particularly the response of the deposed monarch to a query issued by the relevant office of government.
“Government also studied the position of the State Council of Traditional Rulers before arriving at the decision, which it believes is in the best interest of the people of Akure and the larger society.
“Government has been deliberate, meticulous and firm in looking at all the facts. We have taken our time to follow the provisions of the law in taking our decisions, issues involved.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Will RCCG Ever Remain The Same? Nigerians React To Pastor Adeboye's Retirement
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu
- Floods Wash Snakes Into Plateau Community
- Sad! Gunmen Kill Bricklayer Working To Pay For Father’s Treatment
- OMG!! Woman Borrows Twins To Defraud Ex-Commissioner
- Shocking!! I Raped 11 Year Old Girl Purely For Money Rituals - Baba Mohammed
- 54 Commercial S3x Workers And 56 Patronizers Arrested In Calabar Hotel
- La Casera Fires Hundreds Of Workers And Shuts Down Operations
- Governor Rochas Okorocha Exposed, See Shocking Images