The Ondo State Government on Thursday deposed the Deji of Akure, Oba Oluwadare Adesina, “with immediate effect.”
A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Olusegun Mimiko, Mr. Kolawole Olabisi, said the decision was reached at a meeting of the State Executive Council presided in Akure.
The statement said the government subsequently directed Akure kingmakers and the Akure South Local Government to immediately commence the process leading to the emergence and installation of a new Deji of Akure.
Adesina had, on May 30, 2010, allegedly invaded no 141 Hospital Road, Akure, in company with Olori Remi Abiola- Adesina and assaulted his estranged wife, Olori Bolanle . In the course of the attack, Bolanle sustained serious injuries.
The statement also said that in order to forestall the breakdown of law and order in the state capital, the deposed monarch had been banished and ordered not to step into Akure for a period of six months “in the first instance.”
The statement did not, however, say where the dethroned Oba was banished to.
It explained that the decision was based “on the provisions of Section 17 (1) and (2) of the Chiefs law 1984 as amended, that vested the State Executive Council with the powers to suspend or depose any chief if it considers such suspension or deposition to be reasonably justifiable.”
The statement said the government had taken note of “the outrage, protest and condemnation that greeted Oba Adesina’s conduct as demonstrated by the protest embarked upon by the National Council of Women Societies, the Federation of Women lawyers, among others.
It added that on May 30, 2010, Adesina “conducted himself in the most dishonourable, condemnable and disgraceful manner and has by that conduct brought the institution of Obaship and the stool of Deji to disrepute and public odium and his various acts are against public order, public safety/ public morality and not in accordance with the customs, tradition and public order and morality.”
It stated that various reports of security agencies in the state found the monarch culpable, adding that Adesina’s response to the query issued to him by the state Commissioner of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs on June 3, 2010 was “completely unsatisfactory as his conduct was unbecoming and has eroded the sanctity, dignity and respect of the stool of Deji of Akureland.”
The SEC also noted the reaction of the State Council of Obas, which on June 3, 2010 suspended Adesina, pending the final decision of the state government.
After the meeting, the Commissioner for Information, Mr. Ranti Akerele, briefed journalists in company with the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Eyitayo Jegede (SAN); the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mr. Diran Iyatan; and the Commissioner for Special Duties, Mr. Niran Sule-Akinsuyi.
Akerele said the kingmakers had been directed to nominate three regents from the ruling house and send their names to the state government, to enable the SEC to approve the best person to handle the affairs of the town.
The regent will be in charge until the formal selection of a new monarch, who will emerge through the acceptable tradition and norms of the town.
The development came just as the Commissioner of Police, Ondo State Command, Mr. Mogaji Nasarawa, confirmed to our correspondent on the telephone that the deposed Deji was already in police custody.
Nasarawa explained that Adesina was arrested on the strength of a directive from the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Ogbonna Onovo, after going through the report of the state command on the ex-monarch’s action.
Nasarawa added that Adesina would be charged to court based on the criminal aspect of his alleged attack on his wife.
However, Akerele explained that the former Deji would be relocated to a safe place somewhere in the state for an initial period of six months pending further decisions of security agencies on him.
He said, “Before arriving at this decision, government took its time to study the reports of the security agencies, reports from well-meaning Akure citizens on both sides of the divide and particularly the response of the deposed monarch to a query issued by the relevant office of government.
“Government also studied the position of the State Council of Traditional Rulers before arriving at the decision, which it believes is in the best interest of the people of Akure and the larger society.
“Government has been deliberate, meticulous and firm in looking at all the facts. We have taken our time to follow the provisions of the law in taking our decisions, issues involved.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Ondo APC Secretariat Now A Shrine, See What Members Did (photos)
- How Adams Oshiomole Wasted Edo?s N1.4 Trillion ? PDP
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)