The Ondo State Government on Thursday deposed the Deji of Akure, Oba Oluwadare Adesina, “with immediate effect.”
A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Olusegun Mimiko, Mr. Kolawole Olabisi, said the decision was reached at a meeting of the State Executive Council presided in Akure.
The statement said the government subsequently directed Akure kingmakers and the Akure South Local Government to immediately commence the process leading to the emergence and installation of a new Deji of Akure.
Adesina had, on May 30, 2010, allegedly invaded no 141 Hospital Road, Akure, in company with Olori Remi Abiola- Adesina and assaulted his estranged wife, Olori Bolanle . In the course of the attack, Bolanle sustained serious injuries.
The statement also said that in order to forestall the breakdown of law and order in the state capital, the deposed monarch had been banished and ordered not to step into Akure for a period of six months “in the first instance.”
The statement did not, however, say where the dethroned Oba was banished to.
It explained that the decision was based “on the provisions of Section 17 (1) and (2) of the Chiefs law 1984 as amended, that vested the State Executive Council with the powers to suspend or depose any chief if it considers such suspension or deposition to be reasonably justifiable.”
The statement said the government had taken note of “the outrage, protest and condemnation that greeted Oba Adesina’s conduct as demonstrated by the protest embarked upon by the National Council of Women Societies, the Federation of Women lawyers, among others.
It added that on May 30, 2010, Adesina “conducted himself in the most dishonourable, condemnable and disgraceful manner and has by that conduct brought the institution of Obaship and the stool of Deji to disrepute and public odium and his various acts are against public order, public safety/ public morality and not in accordance with the customs, tradition and public order and morality.”
It stated that various reports of security agencies in the state found the monarch culpable, adding that Adesina’s response to the query issued to him by the state Commissioner of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs on June 3, 2010 was “completely unsatisfactory as his conduct was unbecoming and has eroded the sanctity, dignity and respect of the stool of Deji of Akureland.”
The SEC also noted the reaction of the State Council of Obas, which on June 3, 2010 suspended Adesina, pending the final decision of the state government.
After the meeting, the Commissioner for Information, Mr. Ranti Akerele, briefed journalists in company with the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Eyitayo Jegede (SAN); the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mr. Diran Iyatan; and the Commissioner for Special Duties, Mr. Niran Sule-Akinsuyi.
Akerele said the kingmakers had been directed to nominate three regents from the ruling house and send their names to the state government, to enable the SEC to approve the best person to handle the affairs of the town.
The regent will be in charge until the formal selection of a new monarch, who will emerge through the acceptable tradition and norms of the town.
The development came just as the Commissioner of Police, Ondo State Command, Mr. Mogaji Nasarawa, confirmed to our correspondent on the telephone that the deposed Deji was already in police custody.
Nasarawa explained that Adesina was arrested on the strength of a directive from the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Ogbonna Onovo, after going through the report of the state command on the ex-monarch’s action.
Nasarawa added that Adesina would be charged to court based on the criminal aspect of his alleged attack on his wife.
However, Akerele explained that the former Deji would be relocated to a safe place somewhere in the state for an initial period of six months pending further decisions of security agencies on him.
He said, “Before arriving at this decision, government took its time to study the reports of the security agencies, reports from well-meaning Akure citizens on both sides of the divide and particularly the response of the deposed monarch to a query issued by the relevant office of government.
“Government also studied the position of the State Council of Traditional Rulers before arriving at the decision, which it believes is in the best interest of the people of Akure and the larger society.
“Government has been deliberate, meticulous and firm in looking at all the facts. We have taken our time to follow the provisions of the law in taking our decisions, issues involved.”
Headlines Newsview all
Terrified relatives of Mohammed Emwazi want to change their identities over fears of revenge at tacks, friends said yesterday. The jihadi’s parents have gone into hiding ... Full story
Alfa Fatai Aderomu, Cleric Who Poisoned Client Chopped Off His Head Hands And Other Parts Of The Body
Residents of Obele community in Oko-Agbola, Magbon area of Badagry, Lagos, were taken aback at the sight of policemen at the site of a swimming ... Full story
Found this eye opening report published by PUNCH newspaper…enjoy below: The time was 7pm, penultimate Saturday. The venue was a hotel on Abaranje Road in Ikotun, ... Full story
Rate this article
Nigeria’s top entertainer D’Banj is still in Dubai and living it up! Pictured above is him hanging out with serial entrepreneur Ashish J. Thakkar, who ... Full story
It is rare to see someone escape a fatal motor accident that stumbled five times with majority passing away instantly leaving just one person without ...
Unable to tolerate the heartbreak he got when his girlfriend told him about her engagement, a Nigerian youth corp member, identified as Ernest decided to ...
Jaywon Calls Out Some Artistes Showing Off 2015 Models Of Cars On Social Media But Drive Rickety Ones In Reality
Angered by the rate at which some of his colleagues show off 'fake' extravagance online, Music Nigeria star Jaywon, has advised them cut their coats ...
Chidinma Ekile, famously known as Miss Kedike, is finally in love. The Capital Hill singer who has been romantically with Flavour Na’abania also confirmed that ...
Nollywood actress, Keira Hewatch, has revealed that with money involved, she is always able to interpret her scripts well but totally a different person off ...
For over a decade now, Elvis Chuks has continued to produce movies that are audience delight. He has worked with celebrities such as Nse Ikpe ...
After an investigative report on a Nigerian s3x slave worker who was deceived into the search for a better life outside the country, latest report ...
Barely few months after rumours of marriage crash, Nollywood actress, Toyin Aimakhu has taken to Instagram to shower praises on her young actor husband as ...