Reports reaching us indicate that a plane crash has occurred at the Lagos airport.
The body of Dr Olusegun Agagu, former Governor of Ondo state, was reportedly being conveyed in the plane by several members of his family when it crashed at Murtala Muhammed International Airport.
The politician died suddenly at his home in Lagos on 13 September. He was due to be laid to rest on 4 October at St Paul's Anglican Church in the district of Iju-Odo.
Continue to scroll down for latest updates
A witness said the crash occurred at the local wing of the airport close to the section were JET-A1, plane fuel, is stored.
Fire service officials were seen evacuating the occupants of the plane.
The spokesman of the Nigeria aviation agencies, Yakubu Datti, asked for more time to get details of the incident.
11:23 AM - The engine failed on takeoff and it crash-landed and burst into flames. Twenty people were on board,” said Supo Atobatele, spokesman for the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency.
12:00 PM - About 20 passengers on the crashed plane. Most of the passengers who perished in the air crash are believed to be family members of the late governor and officials of Ondo state government.
The plane was said to have crashed around 9.20am immediately after take-off into the compound of a private firm, around the MMIA access gate.
Spokesman of the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria, Yakubu Datti, speaking with TV station, Al Jazeera, on telephone moments ago said the crashed plane was carrying 20 passengers and was en-route Lagos to Akure. “The engine failed,” he said.
He said it was a propeller aircraft operated by Associated Airline. There are five survivors, he said. He also confirmed that the survivors have been rushed to a nearby hospital.
He added that the Black Box of the aircraft have been recovered and investigation will commence immediately.
He spoke from the crash site.
1:31 PM - A 6th survivor confirmed, doctors battling hard in nearby hospital to save. However 9 bodies have been recovered so far, all confirmed dead.
Latest Nigeria News
- Pastor Enoch Adeboye Finally Speaks On Slain Abuja Preacher
- See What Man Did To His Teenage Daughter After Catching Her In Bed With Lover (video)
- July 29, 1966: 7 Things You Should Know About The Second Military Coup in Nigeria
- Budget Padding Scandalous, Rubbishes Buhari?s Anti-Graft Crusade Says Afenifere
- 35 FRSC Crushed To Death By Drivers, 1 Loses Manhood
- Man Stoned And Burnt To Death For Stealing 3 Month Old Baby
- Stephen Keshi?s Burial Rites Commence Today
- Dogara Fights Back : Jibrin Smuggled Fake Projects Into The Budget
- Panic In Owerri Over Bombing Threat, Security Beefed Up
- I Have Not Been Paid For 5 Months Says Siasia
- Nnamdi Kanu: Biafra Restoration Not Personal Decision But Call From God Almighty
- Buhari Spits Fire: This Is What I Will Do To Corrupt APC Members
- NSCDC Rescues 9 Year Old Boy Chained For 2 Weeks Without Food In Celestial Church
- Breaking: Buhari?s Minister Reveals How Much His Government SavesMonthly
- Troops Nab Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists PMS Suppliers
- Nigerian Navy Arrests Niger Delta Avengers? Major Logistics Supplier
- Buhari Says Nigerians Still Love Him? See Fresh Poll Shows PMB?s Real Popularity
- Another Top Supplier To ND Avengers Arrested
- Bishop In Police Net For Allegedly Sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers
- What This Boko Haram Member Was Caught Doing Will Shock You (photos)
- Bola Ige: This Is What President Buhari Told IGP To Do Immediately
- Pilot Tells EFCC: How I Transported Over N1.219bn To Fayose On An Aircraft
- EFCC Interrogates Doyin Okupe Over N162m Illicit Payment
- My Boyfriend Refused To Use Condom: Police Arrests Lovers Fighting Over S3x
- Revelations : I Drove The Bribe Money To Fayose?s Hotel Says Driver
- Fear Of Buhari: Senate Makes Very Crucial Statement
- Reuben Abati: Theresa May, Melaye and the Leader?s Wife
- How Bullion van Driver Delivered N1.2bn To Fayose?s Hotel
- 2 soldiers Killed, 7 injured in Boko Haram ambush
- PENGASSAN, NUPENG call off strike
- IPMAN urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Pipeline Bombings: Militant Group Announces 2 Week Ceasefire
- IPMAN Urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Many Feared Dead As Communal Clash Resurfaces In Benue Coomunity
- Student Stabs Landlord To Death, You Wont Believe What He Did Next
- Sen. Ben Murray-Bruce Hangs Out With His Lookalike Son, Cody (Video)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Gov. Ugwuanyi And Ogun Speaker Urge Muslims Faithful To Promote Peace And Unity
- Oduah Has No Female Domestic Staff
- Brent Oil Falls Below $50 As Nigeria Ups Production
- Breaking: Niger Delta Avengers Strike Again, Hit NNPC, Chevron Pipelines