Reports reaching us indicate that a plane crash has occurred at the Lagos airport.
The body of Dr Olusegun Agagu, former Governor of Ondo state, was reportedly being conveyed in the plane by several members of his family when it crashed at Murtala Muhammed International Airport.
The politician died suddenly at his home in Lagos on 13 September. He was due to be laid to rest on 4 October at St Paul's Anglican Church in the district of Iju-Odo.
Continue to scroll down for latest updates
A witness said the crash occurred at the local wing of the airport close to the section were JET-A1, plane fuel, is stored.
Fire service officials were seen evacuating the occupants of the plane.
The spokesman of the Nigeria aviation agencies, Yakubu Datti, asked for more time to get details of the incident.
11:23 AM - The engine failed on takeoff and it crash-landed and burst into flames. Twenty people were on board,” said Supo Atobatele, spokesman for the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency.
12:00 PM - About 20 passengers on the crashed plane. Most of the passengers who perished in the air crash are believed to be family members of the late governor and officials of Ondo state government.
The plane was said to have crashed around 9.20am immediately after take-off into the compound of a private firm, around the MMIA access gate.
Spokesman of the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria, Yakubu Datti, speaking with TV station, Al Jazeera, on telephone moments ago said the crashed plane was carrying 20 passengers and was en-route Lagos to Akure. “The engine failed,” he said.
He said it was a propeller aircraft operated by Associated Airline. There are five survivors, he said. He also confirmed that the survivors have been rushed to a nearby hospital.
He added that the Black Box of the aircraft have been recovered and investigation will commence immediately.
He spoke from the crash site.
1:31 PM - A 6th survivor confirmed, doctors battling hard in nearby hospital to save. However 9 bodies have been recovered so far, all confirmed dead.
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well