Reports reaching us indicate that a plane crash has occurred at the Lagos airport.
The body of Dr Olusegun Agagu, former Governor of Ondo state, was reportedly being conveyed in the plane by several members of his family when it crashed at Murtala Muhammed International Airport.
The politician died suddenly at his home in Lagos on 13 September. He was due to be laid to rest on 4 October at St Paul's Anglican Church in the district of Iju-Odo.
Continue to scroll down for latest updates
A witness said the crash occurred at the local wing of the airport close to the section were JET-A1, plane fuel, is stored.
Fire service officials were seen evacuating the occupants of the plane.
The spokesman of the Nigeria aviation agencies, Yakubu Datti, asked for more time to get details of the incident.
11:23 AM - The engine failed on takeoff and it crash-landed and burst into flames. Twenty people were on board,” said Supo Atobatele, spokesman for the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency.
12:00 PM - About 20 passengers on the crashed plane. Most of the passengers who perished in the air crash are believed to be family members of the late governor and officials of Ondo state government.
The plane was said to have crashed around 9.20am immediately after take-off into the compound of a private firm, around the MMIA access gate.
Spokesman of the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria, Yakubu Datti, speaking with TV station, Al Jazeera, on telephone moments ago said the crashed plane was carrying 20 passengers and was en-route Lagos to Akure. “The engine failed,” he said.
He said it was a propeller aircraft operated by Associated Airline. There are five survivors, he said. He also confirmed that the survivors have been rushed to a nearby hospital.
He added that the Black Box of the aircraft have been recovered and investigation will commence immediately.
He spoke from the crash site.
1:31 PM - A 6th survivor confirmed, doctors battling hard in nearby hospital to save. However 9 bodies have been recovered so far, all confirmed dead.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Will RCCG Ever Remain The Same? Nigerians React To Pastor Adeboye's Retirement
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast