Justine Sacco wrote , 'Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White!'before boarding a flight to vacation in the country ridden with an unfortunate AIDS epidemic. Valleywag caught wind of the incident and posted the story online. Sacco's been re-tweeted almost 3,000 times and her reputation along with the reputation of her company is spoiled.
Sacco is the Communications Director for IAC, a parent company for Vimeo, OkCupid, Tinder, CollegeHumor, and Dictionary.com among many others. To their chagrin, IAC had to comment on behalf of their irresponsible employee.
'I'm absolutely shocked! By far, the worst and most inappropriate tweet I've read in a very long time. IAC won't be too happy,' wrote Twitter user DoYouNeedToKnow. He was just one of horrified readers demanding an apology from Sacco and the influential powerhouse she works for.
Justine Sacco has no idea her offensive tweet made the news because she is on a flight to Africa
Career suicide: IAC says that they will take 'appropriate action' against Sacco's tweet and the high powered executive may lose her job in addition to her reputation
'This is an outrageous, offensive comment that does not reflect the views and values of IAC. Unfortunately, the employee in question is unreachable on an international flight, but this is a very serious matter and we are taking appropriate action,' a representative from IAC emailed the International Business Times.
When Sacco lands in Africa she will have a number of angry responses to read.
Twitter user Stephanie Be wrote, 'WOW! Reinforce the ignorant American stereotype much?'
John M. Becker tweeted, 'Are you even real?!? This is utterly ghastly on so many levels.'
Josephine Baker wrote, 'listen, homegirl is about to be FIRED.'
Huffington Post stated that there is a possibility that the young PR executive's account may have been hacked. However that is unlikely as her twitter profile has a number of other tweets that may also be deemed offensive.
Sacco wrote wrote, 'I can't be fired for things I say while intoxicated right?'
Sacco also wrote, 'I like animals, but when it's this cold out I'll skin one myself for the fur' and tweeted the comment directly at PETA, a famous animal rights organization.
The Tulane alum also tweeted, 'Last day of hurricane season. Can't wait for evacuations next year.'
Ironically enough, Tulane is located in New Orleans, a city in which more than half of the population is black according to infoplease.com.
New Orleans also suffered tremendously after Hurricane Katrina decimated homes, took several lives, and wrecked the local economy.
You most certainly can: This tweet Sacco wrote in January may have been a self fulfilling prophecy
What a mess: Sacco will have some explaining to do for her sloppy behavior on twitter
The Mail Online tried contacting IAC's media relations department, and since the contact listed on their website was Sacco herself, no one was available for comment.
The reason Sacco is traveling to Africa is still unknown, but chances are that Sacco won't get the warmest Christmas welcome upon landing at her destination.
According to dosomething.org out of the 34 million people in the world who have HIV, 69 percent live in sub-Saharan Africa. There are around 23.8 million people in Africa with AIDS.
AIDS (Acquired immune deficiency syndrome or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) is caused by the Virus HIV ( Human immunodeficiency syndrome). It can be transmitted via sexual intercourse, blood to blood contact, or childbirth.
HIV greatly lowers the human immune system making it easier for those infected to carry fatal diseases.
There is no cure for AIDS. Is there a cure for Sacco's Twitter?
About Article Author
Francisca (Viv) has over 10+ years of writing experience in press releases, feature articles, promotions, copywriting for small businesses and manufacturers in various industries. She brings a wealth of experience and is the "calmer" when these is a storm. She loves to travel and read.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- DIY: Prepare African Black Soap With Shea Butter
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu
- Floods Wash Snakes Into Plateau Community
- Sad! Gunmen Kill Bricklayer Working To Pay For Father’s Treatment
- OMG!! Woman Borrows Twins To Defraud Ex-Commissioner
- Shocking!! I Raped 11 Year Old Girl Purely For Money Rituals - Baba Mohammed
- 54 Commercial S3x Workers And 56 Patronizers Arrested In Calabar Hotel
- La Casera Fires Hundreds Of Workers And Shuts Down Operations
- Governor Rochas Okorocha Exposed, See Shocking Images