Justine Sacco wrote , 'Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White!'before boarding a flight to vacation in the country ridden with an unfortunate AIDS epidemic. Valleywag caught wind of the incident and posted the story online. Sacco's been re-tweeted almost 3,000 times and her reputation along with the reputation of her company is spoiled.
Sacco is the Communications Director for IAC, a parent company for Vimeo, OkCupid, Tinder, CollegeHumor, and Dictionary.com among many others. To their chagrin, IAC had to comment on behalf of their irresponsible employee.
'I'm absolutely shocked! By far, the worst and most inappropriate tweet I've read in a very long time. IAC won't be too happy,' wrote Twitter user DoYouNeedToKnow. He was just one of horrified readers demanding an apology from Sacco and the influential powerhouse she works for.
Justine Sacco has no idea her offensive tweet made the news because she is on a flight to Africa
Career suicide: IAC says that they will take 'appropriate action' against Sacco's tweet and the high powered executive may lose her job in addition to her reputation
'This is an outrageous, offensive comment that does not reflect the views and values of IAC. Unfortunately, the employee in question is unreachable on an international flight, but this is a very serious matter and we are taking appropriate action,' a representative from IAC emailed the International Business Times.
When Sacco lands in Africa she will have a number of angry responses to read.
Twitter user Stephanie Be wrote, 'WOW! Reinforce the ignorant American stereotype much?'
John M. Becker tweeted, 'Are you even real?!? This is utterly ghastly on so many levels.'
Josephine Baker wrote, 'listen, homegirl is about to be FIRED.'
Huffington Post stated that there is a possibility that the young PR executive's account may have been hacked. However that is unlikely as her twitter profile has a number of other tweets that may also be deemed offensive.
Sacco wrote wrote, 'I can't be fired for things I say while intoxicated right?'
Sacco also wrote, 'I like animals, but when it's this cold out I'll skin one myself for the fur' and tweeted the comment directly at PETA, a famous animal rights organization.
The Tulane alum also tweeted, 'Last day of hurricane season. Can't wait for evacuations next year.'
Ironically enough, Tulane is located in New Orleans, a city in which more than half of the population is black according to infoplease.com.
New Orleans also suffered tremendously after Hurricane Katrina decimated homes, took several lives, and wrecked the local economy.
You most certainly can: This tweet Sacco wrote in January may have been a self fulfilling prophecy
What a mess: Sacco will have some explaining to do for her sloppy behavior on twitter
The Mail Online tried contacting IAC's media relations department, and since the contact listed on their website was Sacco herself, no one was available for comment.
The reason Sacco is traveling to Africa is still unknown, but chances are that Sacco won't get the warmest Christmas welcome upon landing at her destination.
According to dosomething.org out of the 34 million people in the world who have HIV, 69 percent live in sub-Saharan Africa. There are around 23.8 million people in Africa with AIDS.
AIDS (Acquired immune deficiency syndrome or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) is caused by the Virus HIV ( Human immunodeficiency syndrome). It can be transmitted via sexual intercourse, blood to blood contact, or childbirth.
HIV greatly lowers the human immune system making it easier for those infected to carry fatal diseases.
There is no cure for AIDS. Is there a cure for Sacco's Twitter?
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well