The life of a 17-year-old student of Bowen University, Opeyemi Odusanya, has been cut short by some cult members in Lagos.
It was gathered that the undergraduate was murdered for allegedly rejecting sexual advances from some youths in the area and also for “being too proud.”
PUNCH Metro learnt that the victim was a 300 level student of Biochemistry at the university.
Police authorities told our correspondent that Opeyemi was stabbed to death by the cultists at her parents’ house in the Alakuko area of Lagos on February 3, 2014.
Police sources told PUNCH Metro that investigations had revealed that the culprits were residents of the area.
A police officer, who wished to remain anonymous, said, “In the afternoon of February 3, 2014, the deceased went to buy airtime for her telephone. As she was returning, a group of cult members trailed and entered the house with her.
“Opeyemi was alone at home when the guys entered. They instructed her to turn on the generator so that if she screamed, no one would hear.
“We believe that they wanted to rape the girl, but she must have put up a fierce struggle as the whole house was scattered.
“The guys subsequently stabbed her in the stomach several times and ripped out her intestines.
“After killing her, they took her phone and the keys to her parents’ vehicle, a jeep, which was on the table. They stole the jeep, which was parked in the compound, after killing the girl.”
The sources told our correspondent that after the guys had fled, they used Opeyemi’s telephone line to send a text message to her mother, explaining why they killed the 17-year-old.
The text message, which was typed in English and Yoruba languages, and made available to our correspondent, read, “Your child has been proud. We have been toasting her, but she has refused to accept. We have killed her to teach a lesson. We have also driven your car away.
“If you want your car back, come to Lakas Hotel or Cele Bus Stop around Mile 2 to pick it up. If we see policemen around, we will kill everybody.”
Residents of the area told our correspondent that the victim’s mother, Olayinka, had a panic attack after reading the message and quickly informed those that were with her.
However, a phone call from the family’s housemaid was said to have confirmed Olayinka’s fears that the text message was not a bluff.
It was learnt that she returned to the house to meet the lifeless body of her child.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the mother of the deceased, who is a senior official at the Mushin Local Government secretariat, later reported the incident at the Alakuko Police Division.
A police source told our correspondent that the murder weapon had been recovered.
“By all indications, the girl was not raped because her clothes were intact. The knife used in killing her has been recovered,” the policeman said.
It was gathered that the parents of the girl had relocated to the Redemption Camp on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
Our correspondent, who visited the Facebook page of the deceased, observed that tributes had been pouring in for the 300 level student.
One of her friends, Folake Kuforiji, wrote, “RIP Dear, May your soul rest in perfect peace and may the Almighty God protect and console the rest of your family. A real gem is gone. I remember back then in secondary school when we used to call you Ope International. You left us too soon, but God knows best.”
A man, Adeniji Chigozie, who claimed to be her former teacher, wrote, “Remember those days in class. You were one of the students I cherished and respected. You were respectful and intelligent. As a teacher, I was very proud of you. The details of the cause of your death are still sketchy and confusing. Nigeria has lost another intelligent and beautiful mind – A great star has fallen!
“Above all, I wish your family and loved ones the fortitude to bear this shocking loss – May God in His gracious nature comfort them, amen!”
When contacted on the telephone, Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ngozi Braide, said, “I have called the Divisional Police Officer at the Alakuko Police Division and he said he was not aware of the incident.”
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)