The life of a 17-year-old student of Bowen University, Opeyemi Odusanya, has been cut short by some cult members in Lagos.
It was gathered that the undergraduate was murdered for allegedly rejecting sexual advances from some youths in the area and also for “being too proud.”
PUNCH Metro learnt that the victim was a 300 level student of Biochemistry at the university.
Police authorities told our correspondent that Opeyemi was stabbed to death by the cultists at her parents’ house in the Alakuko area of Lagos on February 3, 2014.
Police sources told PUNCH Metro that investigations had revealed that the culprits were residents of the area.
A police officer, who wished to remain anonymous, said, “In the afternoon of February 3, 2014, the deceased went to buy airtime for her telephone. As she was returning, a group of cult members trailed and entered the house with her.
“Opeyemi was alone at home when the guys entered. They instructed her to turn on the generator so that if she screamed, no one would hear.
“We believe that they wanted to rape the girl, but she must have put up a fierce struggle as the whole house was scattered.
“The guys subsequently stabbed her in the stomach several times and ripped out her intestines.
“After killing her, they took her phone and the keys to her parents’ vehicle, a jeep, which was on the table. They stole the jeep, which was parked in the compound, after killing the girl.”
The sources told our correspondent that after the guys had fled, they used Opeyemi’s telephone line to send a text message to her mother, explaining why they killed the 17-year-old.
The text message, which was typed in English and Yoruba languages, and made available to our correspondent, read, “Your child has been proud. We have been toasting her, but she has refused to accept. We have killed her to teach a lesson. We have also driven your car away.
“If you want your car back, come to Lakas Hotel or Cele Bus Stop around Mile 2 to pick it up. If we see policemen around, we will kill everybody.”
Residents of the area told our correspondent that the victim’s mother, Olayinka, had a panic attack after reading the message and quickly informed those that were with her.
However, a phone call from the family’s housemaid was said to have confirmed Olayinka’s fears that the text message was not a bluff.
It was learnt that she returned to the house to meet the lifeless body of her child.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the mother of the deceased, who is a senior official at the Mushin Local Government secretariat, later reported the incident at the Alakuko Police Division.
A police source told our correspondent that the murder weapon had been recovered.
“By all indications, the girl was not raped because her clothes were intact. The knife used in killing her has been recovered,” the policeman said.
It was gathered that the parents of the girl had relocated to the Redemption Camp on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
Our correspondent, who visited the Facebook page of the deceased, observed that tributes had been pouring in for the 300 level student.
One of her friends, Folake Kuforiji, wrote, “RIP Dear, May your soul rest in perfect peace and may the Almighty God protect and console the rest of your family. A real gem is gone. I remember back then in secondary school when we used to call you Ope International. You left us too soon, but God knows best.”
A man, Adeniji Chigozie, who claimed to be her former teacher, wrote, “Remember those days in class. You were one of the students I cherished and respected. You were respectful and intelligent. As a teacher, I was very proud of you. The details of the cause of your death are still sketchy and confusing. Nigeria has lost another intelligent and beautiful mind – A great star has fallen!
“Above all, I wish your family and loved ones the fortitude to bear this shocking loss – May God in His gracious nature comfort them, amen!”
When contacted on the telephone, Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ngozi Braide, said, “I have called the Divisional Police Officer at the Alakuko Police Division and he said he was not aware of the incident.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Ondo APC Secretariat Now A Shrine, See What Members Did (photos)
- How Adams Oshiomole Wasted Edo?s N1.4 Trillion ? PDP
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover