– Governor Akinwunmi Ambode acts on the resolution of the Lagos state House of Assembly to have all council bosses fired as they have overstayed their tenure
– The governor also approved the immediate dissolution of the caretaker committees of the 57 councils and replaced them with heads of administration in the council
– The lawmakers warned that whoever is appointed sole administrator of any of the councils should not have the intention of contesting in the forthcoming council election
Hours after Governor Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia state sacked his entire media team for an undisclosed reason, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode Thursday night sacked the 57 executive secretaries of local government councils and local council development areas of Lagos state.
Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos state has fired all executive secretaries of councils in the state
Their sack came shortly after the state House of Assembly passed a resolution calling for the action partly with an argument that the executive secretaries, who were appointed at the expiration of chairmen of the councils over a year ago, had overstayed their collective tenure.
The governor also approved the immediate dissolution of the caretaker committees of the councils and replaced them with heads of administration in the councils.
The development was confirmed by Tunji Bello, secretary to the state government and the action is expected to pave way for the much-awaited local council election in the state.
At the day’s sitting, members of the House had made the demand for the sack of the executive secretaries following earlier discussions with members of the civil society and top journalists.
The lawmakers, while approving the motion moved by Wasiu Eshilokun-Sani, the deputy speaker, warned that whoever is appointed sole administrator of any of the councils should not have the intention of contesting in the forthcoming council election in the state and must not embark on new projects, but concentrate on payment of staff salaries and debts incurred by his predecessors.
The motion was seconded by Olumuyiwa Jimoh, the deputy majority leader.
The state House of Assembly had also on April 22 this year passed into law a bill recommending a four-year tenure for elected council chairmen and councilors instead of the three years tenure that hitherto existed.
Meanwhile, the global fund of the United Nations is to help Lagos state with grants to fight the scourge of HIV/AIDS.
The executive director of the fund, Dr Mark Dybul, made the revelation when he met with Governor Akinwunmi Ambode at the United Nations headquarters in New York.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian British Councillor, Chika Amadi Suspended by Labour Party for Anti-gay Comments...See Details
- Heartbreaking: Woman Spotted Half-N*ked in Public Begging for Help After Losing 4 Kids in Kerosene Explosion
- Drama At A Funeral Ground As Drunken Friends Stop Pastor From Preaching Because Its Against Their Believe
- Horror: 9 Soldiers Currently Feared Dead in Borno As Boko Haram Attacks Oil Workers
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu
- Floods Wash Snakes Into Plateau Community
- Sad! Gunmen Kill Bricklayer Working To Pay For Father’s Treatment
- OMG!! Woman Borrows Twins To Defraud Ex-Commissioner
- Shocking!! I Raped 11 Year Old Girl Purely For Money Rituals - Baba Mohammed
- 54 Commercial S3x Workers And 56 Patronizers Arrested In Calabar Hotel
- La Casera Fires Hundreds Of Workers And Shuts Down Operations