ABUJA—The Federal Government recorded a deficit of N725.18 billion in its fiscal operations in the first quarter of 2016, according to data released yesterday by the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN.
Nigeria also earned $1.02 billion from its non-oil exports during the period, and this represents an increase of 38.6 percent or $393.7 million (N78.7bn) over the amount earned in the same period of 2015. The CBN, in its Economic Report for the First Quarter of 2016, attributed the deficit to an expenditure of N1.23 trillion, over retained earnings of N505.1 billion in the period under review. The deficit, the report said, was a result of a decline in oil and non-oil revenues and a rise in capital expenditure in the quarter under review.
The dip in oil earnings was attributed to a sharp drop in oil and gas export, low price of crude oil in the international market and the persistent disruption in petroleum export due to vandalism and production shut-ins.
According to the report, the estimated fiscal deficit of N725.18 billion indicated an increase of 178.6 percent above the 2015 provisional quarterly budget deficit of N260.25 billion.
The CBN also stated that the Federal Government’s expenditure for the first quarter was 3.4 percent higher than the provisional quarterly budget estimate, but was below level in the fourth quarter of 2015 by 20.3 percent.
Specifically, breakdown of total expenditure showed that recurrent expenditure accounted for 72.8 percent of the total, while capital and statutory transfers accounted for 18 and 9.2 percent, respectively.
In the recurrent expenditure aspect, the report noted that non-debt component accounted for 72.7 percent, while debt service payments accounted for the balance of 27.3 percent. Using provisional data, CBN further stated that the Federal Government’s retained revenue for the first quarter of 2016, of N505.07 billion was below the receipts in the fourth quarter of 2015 by 37.5 percent.
Giving a breakdown of government’s total revenue, the report disclosed that Federation Account accounted for 81.6 percent of the total, while Independent Revenue, Value Added Tax, VAT, and others, comprising the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC’s Refund and Exchange Gain, accounted for 8.0, 5.6 and 4.8 percent, respectively.
About Article Author
He is extremely motivated, organized and disciplined. Nick has have over 6+ years experience with web content management, administrative duties, Excel, Microsoft software, Quick books, Customer Service, as well as email management, internet research and data entry. He is committed to producing top-notch, quality work, which is his driving force.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian British Councillor, Chika Amadi Suspended by Labour Party for Anti-gay Comments...See Details
- Heartbreaking: Woman Spotted Half-N*ked in Public Begging for Help After Losing 4 Kids in Kerosene Explosion
- Drama At A Funeral Ground As Drunken Friends Stop Pastor From Preaching Because Its Against Their Believe
- Horror: 9 Soldiers Currently Feared Dead in Borno As Boko Haram Attacks Oil Workers
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu
- Floods Wash Snakes Into Plateau Community
- Sad! Gunmen Kill Bricklayer Working To Pay For Father’s Treatment
- OMG!! Woman Borrows Twins To Defraud Ex-Commissioner
- Shocking!! I Raped 11 Year Old Girl Purely For Money Rituals - Baba Mohammed
- 54 Commercial S3x Workers And 56 Patronizers Arrested In Calabar Hotel
- La Casera Fires Hundreds Of Workers And Shuts Down Operations