The Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, yesterday described as a product of greed and ego, the proposed life pension and immunity for the principal officers of the National Assembly.
The NLC President, Comrade Ayuba Wabba said, in a statement, that those behind the move are out to adopt an immoral, bad and illegal model put in place by the governors which could not be sustained.
Stressing that pension could only be paid to those who had put in 35 years of meritorious service to the country, he lamented that the concept of pension was being subverted by politicians who awarded huge severance benefits to themselves after four years in office.
Wabba said the decision of some exiting governors to compel the states’ Houses of Assembly to enact laws approving a sizable percentage of state allocation as severance packages was the worst manifestation of greed.
According to him, “We are convinced, nothing but ego and greed are the over-riding interest for wanting to put the leadership of the legisture on life pension.
“What the governors have done is unrealistic and immoral and rather than ensure the right thing is done, some senators have elected to set up for themselves a model that is at once bad, immoral, illegal and unsustainable.
“The concept of pension derives from 35 years of meritorious service. However, politicians in time, subverted this time-honoured practice by awarding themselves generous severance packages after four years in office.
“These packages not only make a mockery of what public servants take, the beneficiaries are paid up front while the average public service pensioner dies on the verification queue!
“The height of this infamy and greed was when exiting governors literally coerced or seduced states’ Houses of Assembly into writing into “Law” their severance packages which take a sizeable percentage of the state’s budget.”
The NLC President, who challenged the senators to get their priority right, said that the focus of politics should be an urge to deliver service to the electorates, not robbery.
He said that it was the expectation of labour for the Senate “to outlaw the criminal pensions for ex-governors and any other undeserving retiree through an amendment of the Constitution.”
Wabba lamented that the senators had ignored the consistent calls for the removal of the immunity clause for the President, governors and their deputies as they were more interested in how to attract more perks to outshine the executive and the judiciary.
About Article Author
He is extremely motivated, organized and disciplined. Nick has have over 6+ years experience with web content management, administrative duties, Excel, Microsoft software, Quick books, Customer Service, as well as email management, internet research and data entry. He is committed to producing top-notch, quality work, which is his driving force.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian British Councillor, Chika Amadi Suspended by Labour Party for Anti-gay Comments...See Details
- Heartbreaking: Woman Spotted Half-N*ked in Public Begging for Help After Losing 4 Kids in Kerosene Explosion
- Drama At A Funeral Ground As Drunken Friends Stop Pastor From Preaching Because Its Against Their Believe
- Horror: 9 Soldiers Currently Feared Dead in Borno As Boko Haram Attacks Oil Workers
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu
- Floods Wash Snakes Into Plateau Community
- Sad! Gunmen Kill Bricklayer Working To Pay For Father’s Treatment
- OMG!! Woman Borrows Twins To Defraud Ex-Commissioner
- Shocking!! I Raped 11 Year Old Girl Purely For Money Rituals - Baba Mohammed
- 54 Commercial S3x Workers And 56 Patronizers Arrested In Calabar Hotel
- La Casera Fires Hundreds Of Workers And Shuts Down Operations