The Association of Vice-Chancellors of State-Owned Universities has asked the federal government to allow the senates of their institutions prescribe the modalities for admission.
The Secretary General of the association, Michael Faborede, stated this at the 4th Biennial Conference on the Committee of Pro-Chancellors of State-Owned Universities in Nigeria held at the Tai Solarin University of Education, Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State.
The theme of the conference is “Current Challenges Facing State Universities in Nigeria and the Way Forward.”
The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, recently announced the scrapping of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UMTE).
Mr. Faborede argued that since education was on the concurrent list in the 1999 Constitution, the federal government should be careful in making pronouncements on educational matters that would affect the states and private universities.
“The issue of post UTME is also very hot now. We have emphasised to the minister, the right of each university senate to prescribe the modality for admissions and also that education matters that will affect the state and private universities,” he said.
The secretary-general called on pro-chancellors to support vice-chancellors in this effort in the interest of a credible university system.
Mr. Faborede said the association would in October hold a higher education summit to enable it chart a way forward for the nation’s higher education system.
He said the outcome of the biennial conference would be important in the effort to bring all view points on board.
Mr. Faborede called on all state governors to use the Nigeria Governors Forum to ensure the maintenance of standard of state universities and how the could benefit maximally from the Tertiary Education Tax Fund.
“We believe that the Governor’s Forum is very crucial to ensuring the maintenance of standard of state universities, and how they benefit maximally from the Tertiary Education Tax Fund,” he said.
Earlier in his welcome address, the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the Governing Council of Tai Solarin University of Education, Olufemi Bamiro, said “a cursory examination of the goings-on in the tertiary education system of this country attests to the crying need for a conference of this nature to articulate the challenges facing the system and move to the solution domain by coming up with evidence-based policies and programmes to move the system forward.”
He added, “The present situation in the country dictates that we go beyond political correctness into imbibing the traditional academic culture of telling it as it is. It cannot be otherwise if this conference is to be worth the effort of all gathered here.”
About Article Author
He is extremely motivated, organized and disciplined. Nick has have over 6+ years experience with web content management, administrative duties, Excel, Microsoft software, Quick books, Customer Service, as well as email management, internet research and data entry. He is committed to producing top-notch, quality work, which is his driving force.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian British Councillor, Chika Amadi Suspended by Labour Party for Anti-gay Comments...See Details
- Heartbreaking: Woman Spotted Half-N*ked in Public Begging for Help After Losing 4 Kids in Kerosene Explosion
- Drama At A Funeral Ground As Drunken Friends Stop Pastor From Preaching Because Its Against Their Believe
- Horror: 9 Soldiers Currently Feared Dead in Borno As Boko Haram Attacks Oil Workers
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu
- Floods Wash Snakes Into Plateau Community
- Sad! Gunmen Kill Bricklayer Working To Pay For Father’s Treatment
- OMG!! Woman Borrows Twins To Defraud Ex-Commissioner
- Shocking!! I Raped 11 Year Old Girl Purely For Money Rituals - Baba Mohammed
- 54 Commercial S3x Workers And 56 Patronizers Arrested In Calabar Hotel
- La Casera Fires Hundreds Of Workers And Shuts Down Operations