- Senator Nwaoboshi was said to have misappropriated N2.7billion
- The EFCC said that despite following the process, the senator has refused to visit its office for interrogation
The lawmaker representing Delta north senatorial district, Peter Nwaoboshi, who is a self-acclaimed ‘loyalist’ of convicted former governor of Delta state, Chief James Ibori, has reportedly shunned several invitations from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Punch reports that after the EFCC invited him, the commission was asked to invite the senator by writing through the clerk of the National Assembly.
“Despite following the process, the senator has refused to come to our office for interrogation,” a source at the EFCC said.
Onlinenigeria.com gathered that Nwaoboshi, who has been linked to the misapplication of a N1.2bn bank loan, has also been accused of a N1.5bn contract scam involving the Delta state Government.
A detective at the EFCC told Punch that in 2014, the lawmaker, through his company, Bilderberg Enterprises Limited, received a contract of N1.5bn to supply brand new construction equipment to the Delta State Direct Labour Agency.
However, the lawmaker allegedly supplied the state government with used goods and passed them off as new.
As part of investigations, the EFCC was said to have written the Nigeria Customs Service to verify if the equipment were new or not.
According to Punch, Customs noted that the equipment, including trucks, which were imported were merely refurbished.
Nwaoboshi allegedly used part of the diverted funds to buy a 12-storey building at 27 Marina Road, Apapa, Lagos.
The building, which belonged to the Delta state government, was bought at the cost of N805m.
A Federal High Court in Lagos had in April ordered the temporary forfeiture of the building.
Justice Abdulaziz Anka made the forfeiture order after entertaining an ex parte application brought before him by the EFCC.
Joined with Nwaoboshi in the application were his two companies – Golden Touch Construction Project Limited, and Bilderberg Enterprises Limited.
In a related development, the senator has also been linked to a N1.2bn bank loan scam.
Sources said as a member of the board of Nexim Bank in 2014, Nwaoboshi was granted a loan of N1.2bn under the Local Industrial Growth Scheme.
The money was meant for the purchase of equipment and electrical materials but the senator allegedly diverted part of the funds to acquire properties in Lagos.
When contacted, Nwaoboshi neither denied nor confirmed the invitations. He however stated that it would be prejudice for him to speak on the matter as it was before a court.
“The matter is before the court. That issue is before the court and I don’t want to comment on it. I am a lawyer; I cannot comment on it,” he said.
Meanwhile, Onlinenigeria.com had previously reported that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) reportedly applied for the forfeiture of over N1.823 billion by some consultants hired by the Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF).
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian British Councillor, Chika Amadi Suspended by Labour Party for Anti-gay Comments...See Details
- Heartbreaking: Woman Spotted Half-N*ked in Public Begging for Help After Losing 4 Kids in Kerosene Explosion
- Drama At A Funeral Ground As Drunken Friends Stop Pastor From Preaching Because Its Against Their Believe
- Horror: 9 Soldiers Currently Feared Dead in Borno As Boko Haram Attacks Oil Workers
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu
- Floods Wash Snakes Into Plateau Community
- Sad! Gunmen Kill Bricklayer Working To Pay For Father’s Treatment
- OMG!! Woman Borrows Twins To Defraud Ex-Commissioner
- Shocking!! I Raped 11 Year Old Girl Purely For Money Rituals - Baba Mohammed
- 54 Commercial S3x Workers And 56 Patronizers Arrested In Calabar Hotel
- La Casera Fires Hundreds Of Workers And Shuts Down Operations