- The 2-year report titled "Journey to Extremism" spoke with several people connected in one way or the other to extremism
- The report recommends a change of approach to stop increase violent extremism and terrorism on the continent
A report by the United Nations has accused African governments of mishandling the issues of terrorism and extremism on the continent.
The report which came from a 2-year study by the U.N. Development Program (UNDP) in September, said that measures deployed by African governments to combat terrorism actually drove more people to join violent groups.
Voice of America reports that the report titled "Journey to Extremism" was based on interviews with more than 700 people, nearly 600 of whom were voluntary or forced recruits of extremist groups in Nigeria, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan, Cameroon and Niger.
The study noted that poor living conditions of families, lack of education and poverty were the main factors behind the embrace of violence and extremism.
The report also noted that violence and abuse of power by governments also acted as a "final tipping point" for the people to join extremist groups.
The report added that many African governments used counterterror agendas to block political opposition and subdue civil society and the media
"Militarized responses to violent extremism have only served to deepen long-standing mistrust and alienation,” the report read.
The study recommended that African governments would be more effective at countering terrorism and extremism in the region if they changed their current approach to the matter.
Meawhile, Onlinenigeriacom recently reported that a senior lecturer of political science at the University of Nigeria (UNN), Nsukka, Enugu state warned that the Nigerian government's designation of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) as a terrorist organisation could radicalise the group.
Onuoha, in a report on Bloomberg dated, Friday, September 22, said the designation of the group as a terrorist organisation could cause problems for the Nigerian government.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Why We Are Protesting Against President Buhari - Charly Boy, Others Release Official Statement
- Underground Kidnappers Den At Lagos- Abeokuta Expressway: Lagos Police Arrest 7 Suspects
- How Mechanic In Kaduna Was Allegedly Killed By Police, Cousin Tells Story
- Nigerian British Councillor, Chika Amadi Suspended by Labour Party for Anti-gay Comments...See Details
- Heartbreaking: Woman Spotted Half-N*ked in Public Begging for Help After Losing 4 Kids in Kerosene Explosion
- Drama At A Funeral Ground As Drunken Friends Stop Pastor From Preaching Because Its Against Their Believe
- Horror: 9 Soldiers Currently Feared Dead in Borno As Boko Haram Attacks Oil Workers
- Boko Haram Is Political, Not Religious – 2face
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu