A series of bomb blasts on Tuesday morning shattered the fragile peace in the Borno State capital, Maiduguri.
Reports said the blasts occurred in Baga area, Gwange Ward and Bama Road shortly before accreditation of voters began, although the casualty figure was not known.
The explosions forced many voters to stay away from the polling centres, leading to poor turnout for the governorship and house of assembly elections in the state.
A man was also arrested while allegedly attempting to smuggle a package of explosives into the University of Maiduguri.
One of the explosions was reportedly aimed at a police convoy patrolling the state capital.
On Monday, three explosions in the city claimed three lives.
Three persons including a police corporal have died in Maiduguri following explosion of bombs at two separate places in the metropolis, while 14 people were seriously injured.
Daily Sun gathered that the explosive devices were thrown into a drinking joint at Tudu Maduganami in the metropolis by two young men on a motorcycle at about 8.30 pm on Sunday. The second blast also occurred in a similar way at the popular Tarsa Kano gate (Kano Park).
As the police were clearing the scene of the blast in the early hours of yesterday, another bomb exploded again in the city but sources said no casualty was recorded.
Commissioner of Police, Mike Zuokomor, who confirmed the incident said he was attending a security meeting, preparatory to today’s election when he heard a deafening sound, adding that he promptly deployed some officers in the scene of the incidents to examine the situation.
“Our officers were at the scene of the blast but unfortunately the place was so dark that they couldn’t see very well. Sadly, three people including a police corporal lost their lives while 14 persons were injured,” he disclosed. He also said the darkness prevented the anti-bomb unit of the police from combing the area in the night, adding that their second visit to the scene yesterday morning yielded result as one of the improvised explosive devices which has not been detonated, was discovered.
He said the bombs were planted but only two exploded, even as he maintained the perpetrators were “anarchists who kill for the sake of killing.” He said the police was determined to stem the increasing wave of bombing in the state. “As for yesterday’s blast, there was no casualty. The evil men just threw the explosive at the patrol vehicle of the police and nobody was caught by their evil act, only the tire was damaged,” he said
Latest Nigeria News
- NSCDC Rescues 9 Year Old Boy Chained For 2 Weeks Without Food In Celestial Church
- Breaking: Buhari?s Minister Reveals How Much His Government SavesMonthly
- Troops Nab Suspected Boko Haram Terrorists PMS Suppliers
- Nigerian Navy Arrests Niger Delta Avengers? Major Logistics Supplier
- Buhari Says Nigerians Still Love Him? See Fresh Poll Shows PMB?s Real Popularity
- Another Top Supplier To ND Avengers Arrested
- Bishop In Police Net For Allegedly Sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers
- What This Boko Haram Member Was Caught Doing Will Shock You (photos)
- Bola Ige: This Is What President Buhari Told IGP To Do Immediately
- Pilot Tells EFCC: How I Transported Over N1.219bn To Fayose On An Aircraft
- EFCC Interrogates Doyin Okupe Over N162m Illicit Payment
- My Boyfriend Refused To Use Condom: Police Arrests Lovers Fighting Over S3x
- Revelations : I Drove The Bribe Money To Fayose?s Hotel Says Driver
- Fear Of Buhari: Senate Makes Very Crucial Statement
- Reuben Abati: Theresa May, Melaye and the Leader?s Wife
- How Bullion van Driver Delivered N1.2bn To Fayose?s Hotel
- 2 soldiers Killed, 7 injured in Boko Haram ambush
- PENGASSAN, NUPENG call off strike
- IPMAN urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Pipeline Bombings: Militant Group Announces 2 Week Ceasefire
- IPMAN Urges FG To Reopen Investigation Into Alleged N10.9bn Subsidy Fraud
- Many Feared Dead As Communal Clash Resurfaces In Benue Coomunity
- Student Stabs Landlord To Death, You Wont Believe What He Did Next
- Sen. Ben Murray-Bruce Hangs Out With His Lookalike Son, Cody (Video)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Gov. Ugwuanyi And Ogun Speaker Urge Muslims Faithful To Promote Peace And Unity
- Oduah Has No Female Domestic Staff
- Brent Oil Falls Below $50 As Nigeria Ups Production
- Breaking: Niger Delta Avengers Strike Again, Hit NNPC, Chevron Pipelines
- Alleged Fraud: Read What Happened To Diezani?s Ally In Court
- EFCC Removes Diezani From Money Laundering Trial
- Twitter Suspends Niger Delta Avengers Account
- Niger Delta Avengers Twitter Account Blocked
- Unbelievable: See What Woman Did To 9 Months Old Pregnant Woman (photos)
- Lagosians Beware: You May Go To Jail Today If You Are Caught Doing This
- Ikpeazu begs Court: I Want Appeal Against Ogah Settled At The Speed Of Light
- Yan Najeriya na kukan hauhawar farashin Kalanzir N220
- Buhari zai kaddamar da ayyukan kudu maso kudu?Jigon APC
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic zai koma Kungiyar Manchester United
- Sojoji sun kai hari ga yan?ta?addan dake neman tserewa
- Babban kotun tarayya ta mara ma Ali Modu Sherrif baya