A series of bomb blasts on Tuesday morning shattered the fragile peace in the Borno State capital, Maiduguri.
Reports said the blasts occurred in Baga area, Gwange Ward and Bama Road shortly before accreditation of voters began, although the casualty figure was not known.
The explosions forced many voters to stay away from the polling centres, leading to poor turnout for the governorship and house of assembly elections in the state.
A man was also arrested while allegedly attempting to smuggle a package of explosives into the University of Maiduguri.
One of the explosions was reportedly aimed at a police convoy patrolling the state capital.
On Monday, three explosions in the city claimed three lives.
Three persons including a police corporal have died in Maiduguri following explosion of bombs at two separate places in the metropolis, while 14 people were seriously injured.
Daily Sun gathered that the explosive devices were thrown into a drinking joint at Tudu Maduganami in the metropolis by two young men on a motorcycle at about 8.30 pm on Sunday. The second blast also occurred in a similar way at the popular Tarsa Kano gate (Kano Park).
As the police were clearing the scene of the blast in the early hours of yesterday, another bomb exploded again in the city but sources said no casualty was recorded.
Commissioner of Police, Mike Zuokomor, who confirmed the incident said he was attending a security meeting, preparatory to today’s election when he heard a deafening sound, adding that he promptly deployed some officers in the scene of the incidents to examine the situation.
“Our officers were at the scene of the blast but unfortunately the place was so dark that they couldn’t see very well. Sadly, three people including a police corporal lost their lives while 14 persons were injured,” he disclosed. He also said the darkness prevented the anti-bomb unit of the police from combing the area in the night, adding that their second visit to the scene yesterday morning yielded result as one of the improvised explosive devices which has not been detonated, was discovered.
He said the bombs were planted but only two exploded, even as he maintained the perpetrators were “anarchists who kill for the sake of killing.” He said the police was determined to stem the increasing wave of bombing in the state. “As for yesterday’s blast, there was no casualty. The evil men just threw the explosive at the patrol vehicle of the police and nobody was caught by their evil act, only the tire was damaged,” he said
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well