With the release of her new movie, "The Mirror Boy" still grabbing headlines and the world media clamouring for her story, Africa’s answer to royalty, Genevieve Nnaji bares all in this interview. Excerpts:
Do you see yourself as sexy and what’s the favourite part of your body?
I like to think that I’m sexy although I don’t always feel sexy. I think my waist is my best body part…I like my waist because it’s small and neat and gives me my hourglass figure (laughs).
What has been your favourite role to date?
Wow! I have enjoyed playing all the characters in the movies I have done. The Mirror Boy was fun. Ije was another movie which was great and challenging because it was shot in Hollywood among other Hollywood stars, but I would say my favourite to date is the Window of Glory where I played the role of a blind girl. I really got into my character and learnt a lot about myself at the same time.
You have starred in more than 100 movies, are there any roles you have not played?
There are still many roles left in me. I’m prepared to try any new thing and challenging. I would do any role except porn – no amount of money can get my clothes off.
The world is your oyster, who would you most like to star with?
Johnny Depp. I find him a very deep actor mostly because he represents what I represent, he acts for himself and he picks out roles that he enjoys; it’s not about the movie being commercial. He is acting for himself and picks out challenging characters to play. Acting should not be taken too seriously, it should be fun and he doesn’t take himself too seriously.
What gets you out of bed in the morning?
The gym – a great work out! I am very hyper in the morning so the gym is somewhere I can get rid of tension and gets me prepared both mentally and physically for the rest of the day which is usually long and tiring. I am not a screamer in the gym (laughs) but I like to zone out and plan my daily goals. I don’t see anybody at that point in time. I go into my inner self and put on my earphone listening to music and meditate about my future. I’m what you call a deep thinker. I love to run the most and use the treadmill or steppers as I work mostly on my legs and thighs plus my stomach.
What inspires and motivates you in life?
Fear of failure. I am driven by fear of not achieving what I set out to achieve and not meeting my standards. I can be pretty hard on myself. I’m very competitive so failure cannot be an option.
What is your ultimate goal?
I want to challenge myself as an actor some more. I don’t think I have reached my potential. There is still a hunger in me. I am still not completely satisfied. I won’t stop until I get an Oscar.
If you could do it all again what would you do?
Gosh, if I had it my way I would love to be a model, but I don’t have the height. If I could start my career again I would definitely go into the fashion world because I have been designing since primary school. But you can’t go back into time and the best thing about my job is that I get to dress up and pose all the time just like a model!
You are what is described as a ‘Yummy Mummy’ – someone who is career minded, ambitious and beautiful. However, you were also a teen mother – what advice would you give to other teen mums?
Thank you. I have never heard of that term, but I like to keep this part of my life private and I don’t like to talk about my daughter. But what I would say is, I completely believe in destiny. I think everybody has a dream and something they want to achieve so you should never give up on yourself. Learn to embrace everything life throws at you and learn to make everything work for you even your mistakes. Do not give up on your dreams as long as there is life, there is hope. When you have life, you should make the best of your time as possible because life is too short.
You’ve been romantically linked to several people, are there any wedding bells in the future?
Yes, I am dating, but there won’t be any chiming of any wedding bells although I do want to get married. I am looking for someone who can keep me excited because I get bored easily. I need someone who is there to support me, who is confident. I haven’t got the time to be massaging a man’s ego; he has to be confident in our relationship from the get-go!
Who is your ideal man?
We all want a handsome man, but ultimately we want one that is good inside. But I would love to meet someone with a Johnny Depp personality and with Boris Kodjo’s lips (laughs).
About Article Author
Francisca (Viv) has over 10+ years of writing experience in press releases, feature articles, promotions, copywriting for small businesses and manufacturers in various industries. She brings a wealth of experience and is the "calmer" when these is a storm. She loves to travel and read.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- Why We Are Protesting Against President Buhari - Charly Boy, Others Release Official Statement
- Underground Kidnappers Den At Lagos- Abeokuta Expressway: Lagos Police Arrest 7 Suspects
- How Mechanic In Kaduna Was Allegedly Killed By Police, Cousin Tells Story
- Nigerian British Councillor, Chika Amadi Suspended by Labour Party for Anti-gay Comments...See Details
- Heartbreaking: Woman Spotted Half-N*ked in Public Begging for Help After Losing 4 Kids in Kerosene Explosion
- Drama At A Funeral Ground As Drunken Friends Stop Pastor From Preaching Because Its Against Their Believe
- Horror: 9 Soldiers Currently Feared Dead in Borno As Boko Haram Attacks Oil Workers
- Boko Haram Is Political, Not Religious – 2face
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)
- Alarming! Number Of People Boko Haram Has Abducted Since 2012
- Amazing! Ogun State Government To Pay All Medical Bills Of Cancer Patients In the State
- Horrible! Car Rams Into Trailer In Kwara State (Photos)
- Fatal Accident Along Abuja Expressway, Passengers Feared Dead (Photos)
- Caught In The Act! See What A Soldier Did To A Civilian At Oshodi Area Of Lagos (Photos)
- Kuje Bombings: The Day After The Bomb Blast
- Local Community Traditional Deity Tree Kills 3 In Enugu