A multi-storey department store has collapsed in the capital of Ghana, Accra, trapping dozens of people in the rubble.
Rescue efforts are continuing, with officials saying that at least four people died in the Melcom store.
The BBC's Sammy Darko, who has visited the scene, says 42 people have been pulled out alive.
Ghana's President John Dramani Mahama said he had suspended his campaign for next month's election.
The government has declared the area in the city's Achimota neighbourhood a disaster zone.
There's so much noise that it's not possible to hear the trapped people asking for help”
Paa Kwesi Amissah-Arthur Ghana's vice-president
Vice-President Kwesi Amissah-Arthur went to the site and co-ordinated rescue efforts at the building, which opened earlier this year.
As night fell, hundreds of rescuers continued to dig through the rubble, amid fears that more people were trapped.
Mr Amissah-Arthur said the building had collapsed shortly before the Melcom store was due to open for business.
Rescue efforts were being hampered by the large crowd that had gathered at the site, he added.
"There's so much noise that it's not possible to hear the trapped people asking for help," Mr Amissah-Arthur said.
In a statement on its Facebook page, Melcom said it had rented the building which housed its Achimota branch on a 10-year lease.
"This is indeed a very tragic incident," it said.
"We are doing everything possible to see that help reaches those who need it. Our heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies goes to the families of those who may have lost their lives."
Our reporter says customers often queue outside the store before it opens and officials say they believe about 50 people may been inside at the time of the collapse.
Eyewitness Ama Okyere told the AFP news agency she was very close to the shopping centre when the building came down.
"I had to run for my life. I was so terrified. I believe there are lots of people trapped under this because this is a heavily patronised shopping mall in the area."
Family members tried to call relatives feared trapped beneath the rubble on their mobile phones, AFP reported.
Another witness, John Owusu, said he heard a bang before the building collapsed.
President Mahama, in a tweet moments after the building collapsed, said: "My prayers are with the workers, shoppers and others who are trapped in the rubble of the Achimota Melcom building."
He has cut short his campaign in the north of the country and has flown back to Accra to see the rescue effort.
Headlines Newsview all
Governor Sule Lamido of Jigawa State yesterday handed over to the Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Abdu Babura, after a news conference at the ... Full story
Rate this article
Eldest son of veteran actor Femi Robinson who passed on, Wednesday, at the age of 75, Wole Robinson has described his late father as “a ... Full story
Yemi Alade Reveals Too Much Flesh At Press Conference What Is Wrong With Yemi Alade's Fashion Sense Should Yemi Alade Change Her Fashion Stylist? As the world looks ...
Since the death of Taiwo Oshadipe who passed away to glory on the 3rd of october 2014, her twin sister, Kehinde, is still under grief ...
Gist flying in the air has it that Nollywood actress, Ruby Orikajor, has just put to bed a baby girl on May 20th, 2015. The actress ...
Nollywood actress cum producer, Halima Abubakar, has decided to top her expensive assets. The curvy diva who is well known to be a staunch Muslim, now ...
Ghanaian actor, Prince David Osei, has joined the league of entertainers who are now delving into one form of business to the other. Recently, the actor ...
Who would know that this Nigerian actress has a son old enough to graduate from the university as she is rarely seen in the company ...
A mob set two buildings ablaze after a motorcycle passenger reportedly slapped the rider to death with an object suspected to be charms at Iyana ...
No doubt, Nigerian music is enjoying a re-emergence in the global music scene. Though the artistes have done their part in ensuring this, producers sometimes ...
The Minister of Information, Mrs Patricia Akwashiki, has charged the National Film and Video Censors Board (NFVCB) to see to the projection of a positive ...