Russian scientists from say that an old ballistic missile system should be modified to defend Earth from asteroids, mentioning a major explosion over the Urals earlier this year.
According to senior rocket researcher Sabit Saitgarayev, the Soviet-era SS-18 "Satan" heavy intercontinental ballistic missiles were ideal for conversion into a rapid-reaction anti-asteroid system.
Mr Saitgarayev pointed to the destructive power of the meteor which burst over the Russian Ural Mountains on February 15.
The sonic boom of the airburst blew out windows and damaged thousands of buildings around the city of Chelyabinsk.
Approximately 1200 people were injured, 50 were hospitalised.
According to NASA data, the space rock have been some 15 metres in diameter.
Mr Saitgarayev said, "The old 1960s-era Soviet "Satan" missiles were ideally suited to such an interception role as they could be held ready for launch for up to 10 years.
Carrier rockets created on the basis of intercontinental ballistic missiles like Satan, which use standard liquid fuel based on hydrazine, are well-suited for fighting suddenly discovered small objects.
They can stay in the condition of their readiness for launch for ten and more years, after some re-equipping."
That is why this would enable "Satan" to be launched against an inbound asteroid with only 20 minutes warning.
While most modern missile systems need several days to fuel, and this is usually done before a scheduled launch.
Saitgarayev said giving the "Satan" an upgrade including a third stage booster would enable it to target - and destroy - asteroids some five to six hours before they would strike the Earth.
RELATED ARTICLE: VIDEO: Huge Meteor Blazes Across Sky Over Russia, Sonic Boom Shatters Windows
Headlines Newsview all
A little school girl's head has been cut wide open as a result of yet another Nigerian Police recklessness. The images are highly graphic. According to a ... Full story
The film also taunts America claiming that military operations in Afghanistan and Iraq have left troops "demoralised" ISIS have released a chilling new video threatening the ... Full story
The All Progressives Congress has said it is preparing for a fresh governorship primary in Kogi State to elect a candidate, who will replace its ... Full story
Rate this article
- Video Footage Of 2nd Jos Bomb Blast
- Listen To Leaked Call Of Jim Iyke Cursing Out Emma Agu
- Wale Expected Back In Nigeria Soon To Release A Track With Olamide
For Omoni Oboli, 2015 is turning out to be the year of outstanding and mind blowing achievements especially after she was announced as Nollywood/entertainment personality ...
Controversial actress, Tonto Dikeh, has again been seen with what looks like a protruding stomach. This is not the first the movie star will be ...
Yesterday, Tuesday, November 24, a reception was held for nominees of the Future Awards Africa 2015, and it was attended by several stars in the ...
Nollywood actress and model, Adunni Ade has expressed support for Emmanuel Ikubese’s campaign against domestic called Project RAW (Respect a Woman). Adnunni, while speaking about domestic ...
Popular Nigerian comic actor, Basorge Tariah Jnr, over the weekend celebrated his lovely wife, who added a year. Family members of the woman and friends of ...
Nollywood actor, Sam Dede, is in a big celebration mood and this is because he has joined the golden club. The actor, who got a political ...
One Nollywood actor that has maintained a long silence from the media is Emeka Enyiocha, especially after a rumour sometimes ago that his bar located ...
About a week ago, it was reported that popular Nigerian comedian, Julius Agwu, made donations of live turkeys to some residents of the United States ...
Last Saturday, November 21, top Ghanaian actress, Nadia Buari turned a year older and she marked the day in a special way with few of ...