The U.S. Marshals Service, which is on an aggressive pursuit of Jessica Tata, a Nigerian lady charged in a deadly day care fire in Texas, has sought the assistance of Nigerian officials to find her, an agency spokesman said weekend.
The US authorities believe Jessica Tata, 22, fled to Nigeria two days after a fire erupted at her home day care center in Houston on Feb.
24 children were killed and three others were injured.
Investigators believe the children had been left alone.
“U.S. Marshals investigators are aggressively pursuing this case,” Jeff Carter, the agency’s spokesman in Washington, told The Associated Press. “The U.S. Marshals Service in Washington has been in contact with Nigerian officials, through the appropriate law enforcement and diplomatic channels, to let them know of our interest and solicit their cooperation in locating Jessica Tata.”
Tata has been charged with manslaughter, injury to a child and child abandonment amid accusations she left the youngsters alone while she shopped. Fire investigators said they received a tip that she had relatives in Nigeria and might flee.
Another U.S. Marshals Service spokesman, Alfredo Perez, said earlier Friday that agents were actively looking for Tata but haven’t confirmed her location.
“The bottom line is that we don’t know where she’s at,” Perez said.
Tata’s name appeared on an airline’s passenger manifest for a flight to Nigeria, but the Marshals Service hasn’t confirmed the person who boarded was Tata, he said.
Last week, officials said passenger records reviewed by U.S.
Customs and Border Protection agents showed that two days after the fire, Tata flew from Dallas to Atlanta and then to Lagos, Nigeria.
Authorities in Nigeria said they have no record that a woman wanted in Houston flew into the West African nation.
Nigerian Immigration Service spokesman Joachim Olumba said officials checked the logs at each of Nigeria’s international airports for Tata.
“If she came into Nigeria, she likely used another name,” Olumba told the AP.
Olumba said the U.S. has yet to contact his office about Tata.
Repeated efforts to reach Tata’s relatives by phone and in person at their Houston home have been unsuccessful.
The U.S. Marshals Service, which is leading the search for Tata, has put the day care operator on its list of the 15 most wanted fugitives and has offered a reward of up to $25,000. Interpol, the international police agency, has alerted its member countries,
including Nigeria, telling them that Tata is being sought by the United States.
Observers believe that if Tata were in Nigeria, she is most likely to be holed somewhere in oil rich Rivers State, her home state.
Latest Nigeria News
- Ondo APC Secretariat Now A Shrine, See What Members Did (photos)
- How Adams Oshiomole Wasted Edo?s N1.4 Trillion ? PDP
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover