The U.S. Marshals Service, which is on an aggressive pursuit of Jessica Tata, a Nigerian lady charged in a deadly day care fire in Texas, has sought the assistance of Nigerian officials to find her, an agency spokesman said weekend.
The US authorities believe Jessica Tata, 22, fled to Nigeria two days after a fire erupted at her home day care center in Houston on Feb.
24 children were killed and three others were injured.
Investigators believe the children had been left alone.
“U.S. Marshals investigators are aggressively pursuing this case,” Jeff Carter, the agency’s spokesman in Washington, told The Associated Press. “The U.S. Marshals Service in Washington has been in contact with Nigerian officials, through the appropriate law enforcement and diplomatic channels, to let them know of our interest and solicit their cooperation in locating Jessica Tata.”
Tata has been charged with manslaughter, injury to a child and child abandonment amid accusations she left the youngsters alone while she shopped. Fire investigators said they received a tip that she had relatives in Nigeria and might flee.
Another U.S. Marshals Service spokesman, Alfredo Perez, said earlier Friday that agents were actively looking for Tata but haven’t confirmed her location.
“The bottom line is that we don’t know where she’s at,” Perez said.
Tata’s name appeared on an airline’s passenger manifest for a flight to Nigeria, but the Marshals Service hasn’t confirmed the person who boarded was Tata, he said.
Last week, officials said passenger records reviewed by U.S.
Customs and Border Protection agents showed that two days after the fire, Tata flew from Dallas to Atlanta and then to Lagos, Nigeria.
Authorities in Nigeria said they have no record that a woman wanted in Houston flew into the West African nation.
Nigerian Immigration Service spokesman Joachim Olumba said officials checked the logs at each of Nigeria’s international airports for Tata.
“If she came into Nigeria, she likely used another name,” Olumba told the AP.
Olumba said the U.S. has yet to contact his office about Tata.
Repeated efforts to reach Tata’s relatives by phone and in person at their Houston home have been unsuccessful.
The U.S. Marshals Service, which is leading the search for Tata, has put the day care operator on its list of the 15 most wanted fugitives and has offered a reward of up to $25,000. Interpol, the international police agency, has alerted its member countries,
including Nigeria, telling them that Tata is being sought by the United States.
Observers believe that if Tata were in Nigeria, she is most likely to be holed somewhere in oil rich Rivers State, her home state.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)