7 April 2010
Lagos â€” The Niger Delta Civil Society Coalition (NDCSC) has called for a well organised, inclusive, consultative platform to promote and sustain peace in the embattled region.
According to a statement issued by the coalition's Chairman, Mr. Anyakwee Nsirimovu, such a platform must be populated by men and women with relevant capacity, and experience for peace-building and conflict transformation, to interface with the Federal Government on matters bordering on fundamental, contentious issues of just peace.
The Coalition welcomed the immediate attention, which the administration of the Acting President is giving to the peace-building process in the region, by way of reviewing the Amnesty process which is yet to effectively take off, allegedly due to poor visioning, management and absence of an inclusive approach.
"The NDCSC notes that every step taken before and after the announcement of the Amnesty process has been exclusive, rather than inclusive. This rather than win the trust and confidence of all stakeholders, has alienated some stakeholders, marginalised others, and generally caused divisions, even amongst ex-militant leaders and their followers", the statement read.
The coalition also noted the absence of effective communication, consultation, and negotiation at different levels, which are precondition for establishing a sustainable peace at different levels and between the major stakeholders.
"The Management of the Amnesty process thus far has not paid deserved attention to political-psychological variables necessary to identify and dismantle sentimental walls, which refer to attitudes, emotions and inclinations that inhibit constructive and durable transformation of conflict. This has increased the chances of mis-perceiving the process, mis-evaluation of the interest at stake and lowering of motivation to join and act", Nsirimovu added.
To him, "An integrative moral-political climate is absolutely necessary to solve the problems of the region in a collective, constructive and sustainable manner. There is the absence of a culture of trust and cooperation, which makes collective action possible, effective and sustainable".
The NDCSC called on Acting President Jonathan to offer "the kind of new leadership that can project a clear and compelling image of the future that is inclusive, not exclusive, and ways and means to get there."
"Every major conflict across the globe that have made some progress towards resolution in the past twenty years or thereabout, has taken an inclusive and participatory approach seriously", the coalition admonished.
Be the first to Write a Comment!Today's Featured News
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)