Monkeypox is a rare and infectious disease caused by monkey virus, transmitted from animals to human, with symptoms similar to those of smallpox, although less severe.
The first case was reported on September 22 in Bayelsa, and according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), 31 suspected cases have been reported across seven states including Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Ekiti, Lagos, Ogun and Cross River.
The disease has since spread to six other states. These are Rivers, Ekiti, Akwa-Ibom, Lagos, Ogun and Cross River.
1. Stay away from animals, squirrels, monkeys, rats and others. Be sure that such animals are not frolicking around your environment
2. Be sure to wash your hands properly with soap and water after making contacts with animals or even sick people as this increases your risks of contracting the disease.
3. Avoid contacts with faeces or excretory droplets of infected animals or humans. There is very little information that allows one to exclude any animal from contracting monkeypox. Therefore, it should be presumed that any mammal including common household pets, could be infected if exposed to the disease.
4. Stay away from persons infected with the disease or suspected of the disease.
It is a communicable disease and is therefore transferrable
5. Handle materials used by or to treat infected persons with care- e.g bedding clothes, and any other contaminated material
6. Cook all meat very thoroughly, especially bushmeat
7. If you are a farmer, call in expert in suspected cases of animal illness and wear gloves when examining them
8.Practice good hygiene. Have your bath properly and regularly with good disinfectants and clean water
9. If you must use bush meat, make sure it is properly washed and cooked in hot boiling water so as to dissolve every germ that might come with it.
10. Kill animals around the house, household pests and unwanted animals
If you have pets such as dogs, cats, etc.
Please make sure they are always clean and free from germs, also be sure that they don’t make contacts with other animals around.
Monkeypox is a healthy disease Practice the above tips and stay safe.
About Article Author