Joint Security Task Force officers search "Boko Haram" neighborhood in Kano-AP photo
Army spokesperson says there was no fatality on the side of the JTF members but that two soldiers sustained injuries from the blast.
The Joint Security Task Force (JTF) has confirmed the death of two suspected Boko Haram members from an explosion in their own car during an operation in Kano.
The Brigade Commander of the 3 Brigade, Nigerian Army, Kano, Brig-Gen Iliyasu Abbah, disclosed this while conducting journalists round the scene of the incident.
He said the operation took place around 1:00 a.m. on Saturday in Sabuwar Gandu Phase one in Kumbotso Local Government Area of Kano State.
“The suspects have been planning a major operation with a car which had already been primed to explode because they knew security agencies have been trailing them.”
Mr. Abbah said the suspects wanted to detonate the improvised explosive devices loaded in a car to kill security operatives coming to search their house.
“Unfortunately the IEDs inside the car exploded on them and shattered their bodies.”
The Army spokesperson said there was no fatality on the side of the JTF members but that two soldiers sustained injuries from the blast.
He said the five women and several innocent children found in the house would have died together with the suspects if they had succeeded in detonating all the IEDs.
“We have confirmed that some of them are not Nigerians but that is left to the security agencies charged with the responsibility to bring out the identity of these people.”
Mr. Abbah said that items recovered from the house included two AK 47rifles, three magazines, two vehicles (one of them completely shattered), 36 rounds of 5.65 mm;181 rounds of 7.62mm, one pistol, two unexploded IEDs and several handsets.
He also disclosed that soldiers have intercepted some weapons from motorcyclists at one of the security check points in Kano metropolis and that investigation was still going on.
Headlines Newsview all
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has allegedly recovered N900m from Mr. Waripamowei Dudafa, a former Special Assistant on Domestic Affairs to ex-President Goodluck ... Full story
As the nation marks its Democracy Day and President Muhammadu Buhari’s first year in office, Human Rights Writers Association Of Nigeria (HURIWA) has asked the ... Full story
Joint Task Force (JTF) has given ultimatum to the residents of Ijaw communities to produce High Chief Government Ekpemupolo alias Tompolo. They equally insisted that militants ... Full story
Rate this article
- EFCC Recovers N900m From Jonathan?s Ex-Aide, Waripamowei Dudafa
- APC Chieftains Up In Arms Against Judge Over Buhari?s Certificate Ruling
- Human Rights Writers Association Of Nigeria: Release Nnamdi Kanu, FFK And Sambo Dasuki
– Nigerians are disappointed in President Buhari’s performance after one year in office – Ace comedian Ali Baba thinks otherwise – The comedian is known to be ...
Fernando Torres is dreaming of eclipsing his Champions League triumph with Chelsea and making history for the second time in the competition by leading Atletico ...
Newly appointed manager of Manchester United Jose Mourinho wants to gain revenge on former club Chelsea. Mourinho, 53, is on a mission to show the Blues ...
Arsenal youngster Alex Iwobi has admitted he is “gutted” he will no longer wear jersey No 45 in the new season. Iwobi will now wear the ...
Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane says his team deserve to be in tonight's Champions League final. Zidane expects a great game against Atletico Madrid. He said: "We've ...
Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers state was spotted with the stars and players during the much publicized testimonial match of veteran Nigerian player Joseph Yobo. See ...
By Abayomi Kalejaye In J. R. R. Tolkien’s epic adventure trilogy, Lord of the Rings, the ephemeral defeat of the villain, Sauron, by the hand of ...
YBNL singer, Adekunle Gold, has opened up on how he switched from his Islam faith to becoming a full fletched Christian. Gold also mentioned that his ...