The Conference of Nigerian Political Parties (CNPP) has sounded an alarm to Nigerians and friends of Nigerian democracy that the just-concluded national convention of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) flagrantly flouted the best traditions of democracy and is a terrible omen for the 2015 general elections.
“The world mirrors Nigeria from the actions and inactions of the PDP, the party has defined the bad image of the country for the worst; having been in control of the Federal Government of Nigeria in the past 13 years and in government in 23 out of 36 states of our dear country without commensurate results,” CNPP said in a statement signed by its Publicity Secretary, Osita Okechukwu.
It said that under the leadership of President Goodluck Jonathan, it had expected fresh air and that the era of “do or die garrison politics” was over, only to witness the retention of rigging at the convention in the form of a guided election.
“For the avoidance of doubt can any reasonable person expect the PDP which rigged and bastardized internal democracy, grossly manipulated its intra-party elections from ward congress, intimidated, coerced and arm twisted aspirants; stop vote rigging, all manner of manipulation and intimidation of the opposition during the general elections?” the statement asked.
CNPP cited three examples:
• The statement made ahead of the convention by Alhaji Murtala Nyako, the governor of Adamawa State, following a meeting of the governors of the North East with President Jonathan and Alhaji Bamanga Tukur concerning the party chairmanship which had been zoned to the North East, about which Nyako told the press, “I am a small boy, I came here to ask President Jonathan the leader of our party what he wants.”
• The statement by Dr Shettima Mustapha on behalf of other chairmanship aspirants when he said, “Having discussed the issues and having been invited by the leadership of the party, we were requested to cooperate. On behalf of the aspirants, we concede, I am mandated to concede this office to the candidate Chosen for the position.”
• The angry statement by Ebenezer Babatope, former spokesman of the former Unity Party of Nigeria, who asserted about his withdrawal from the chairmanship race, “I am withdrawing not for any person, but for the party, the PDP and honour for Mr President.”
Following the “election” of the National Chairman, President Jonathan said, “We must eschew bickering and remain united in the pursuit of our goals. As members of a great party, we must resist the temptation to allow inordinate ambition and what appears to be a growing obsession in 2015 to cause disaffection within our ranks.”
In response, CNPP cautioned that to aspire to be president in 2015 is not inordinate ambition, and that bickering and bitterness there must be as long as the people are covertly or overtly denied their inalienable right to choose their leaders” as was seen in the PDP national convention.
“It is our considered view that unlike governor Nyako, Nigerians are not going to ask President Jonathan who to vote for in 2015 nor concede; more so when he had said he is not running and indeed the Supreme Court latest judgment on tenure had foreclosed him from running, by stating that no person shall be governor or president for more than eight years,” it warned.
Headlines Newsview all
According to Leadership, the assassination of former first lady Patience Jonathan's ex-security aide had to do with his previous job with the presidency. DSP Tamuno Igbomie, ... Full story
Rate this article
- Video Footage Of 2nd Jos Bomb Blast
- Listen To Leaked Call Of Jim Iyke Cursing Out Emma Agu
- Wale Expected Back In Nigeria Soon To Release A Track With Olamide
Check Out The Trailer Of ‘Mum, Dad Meet Sam’ Starring Joseph Benjamin ...
One of the most respected comedians in Nigeria, Ali Baba was a year older some days back and he was hosted to various parties by ...
Fuel scarcity, Tuesday resurfaced in Abuja, with long queues at almost all the petrol stations, as motorists faced slight difficulties in buying the commodity. This was ...
The Central Bank of Nigeria on Tuesday lowered the naira peg to 196.95 against the dollar from 196.90 it set last week. This made it the ...
The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria has elected Clive Omoniyi as the Chairman of the Nigeria LNG branch of the association. A ...
The silent rule of responsibility has always hammered on the fact that, ‘to whom much is given, much is expected’ and this takes us straight ...
Enterprise Bank is a bank with few branches located across Nigeria, meanwhile, it’s obvious why they don’t have branches abroad. A bank whom can’t secure or ...
Former Portsmouth and Inter Milan midfielder Sulley Muntari is set to depart AC Milan following termination of his contract by mutual consent. The Ghanaian joined the ... Full story
Southampton manager, Ronald Koeman insists the club are yet to receive any “serious” offer for Morgan Schneiderlin this summer. The midfielder has been linked with a ... Full story
Georgina Onuoha, an actress in Nollywood, is delighted to be back to Nigeria after travelling to the United States of America (USA) with her children. She ...