The Conference of Nigerian Political Parties (CNPP) has sounded an alarm to Nigerians and friends of Nigerian democracy that the just-concluded national convention of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) flagrantly flouted the best traditions of democracy and is a terrible omen for the 2015 general elections.
“The world mirrors Nigeria from the actions and inactions of the PDP, the party has defined the bad image of the country for the worst; having been in control of the Federal Government of Nigeria in the past 13 years and in government in 23 out of 36 states of our dear country without commensurate results,” CNPP said in a statement signed by its Publicity Secretary, Osita Okechukwu.
It said that under the leadership of President Goodluck Jonathan, it had expected fresh air and that the era of “do or die garrison politics” was over, only to witness the retention of rigging at the convention in the form of a guided election.
“For the avoidance of doubt can any reasonable person expect the PDP which rigged and bastardized internal democracy, grossly manipulated its intra-party elections from ward congress, intimidated, coerced and arm twisted aspirants; stop vote rigging, all manner of manipulation and intimidation of the opposition during the general elections?” the statement asked.
CNPP cited three examples:
• The statement made ahead of the convention by Alhaji Murtala Nyako, the governor of Adamawa State, following a meeting of the governors of the North East with President Jonathan and Alhaji Bamanga Tukur concerning the party chairmanship which had been zoned to the North East, about which Nyako told the press, “I am a small boy, I came here to ask President Jonathan the leader of our party what he wants.”
• The statement by Dr Shettima Mustapha on behalf of other chairmanship aspirants when he said, “Having discussed the issues and having been invited by the leadership of the party, we were requested to cooperate. On behalf of the aspirants, we concede, I am mandated to concede this office to the candidate Chosen for the position.”
• The angry statement by Ebenezer Babatope, former spokesman of the former Unity Party of Nigeria, who asserted about his withdrawal from the chairmanship race, “I am withdrawing not for any person, but for the party, the PDP and honour for Mr President.”
Following the “election” of the National Chairman, President Jonathan said, “We must eschew bickering and remain united in the pursuit of our goals. As members of a great party, we must resist the temptation to allow inordinate ambition and what appears to be a growing obsession in 2015 to cause disaffection within our ranks.”
In response, CNPP cautioned that to aspire to be president in 2015 is not inordinate ambition, and that bickering and bitterness there must be as long as the people are covertly or overtly denied their inalienable right to choose their leaders” as was seen in the PDP national convention.
“It is our considered view that unlike governor Nyako, Nigerians are not going to ask President Jonathan who to vote for in 2015 nor concede; more so when he had said he is not running and indeed the Supreme Court latest judgment on tenure had foreclosed him from running, by stating that no person shall be governor or president for more than eight years,” it warned.
Headlines Newsview all
Outgoing Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, in this interview with Arit Essanga, a freelance journalist with the African Free Press, in London, explains ... Full story
Rate this article
- Rev. Peter Mbaka And Three Other Priests Beaten To A Pulp By Task-Force Members In Enugu
- Nollywood Actor Arrested For Selling His Son For N350k
- Photos Of Governor Adams Oshiomhole, 63, Marrying 29 Year Old Model, Lara Fortes
No one was evacuated, but congress participants were initially denied re-entry into the auditorium while authorities conducted a search, a witness told Reuters. "A search was ... Full story
Uche and her Husband welcomed their son Matthew on May 28th, 2015. She shared this photo of her son's legs with the message below on ...
Many Nigerian actresses and females at large find themselves at ease when they hit the events and happenings all dressed and glamoured up and would ...
He is known for his blunt lyrics and word play that keeps most of his fans and critics stuck to his music. He is young ...
Some days back, gospel singer, Lara George, was at the career day of the students of Lekki British Junior School to educate them on how ...
Just few hours to the most anticipated handover of government, and Nigeria Police force has banned all forms of jubilation, Transistor radio, handbags and parcel ...
In less than some few hours to the handing over to the new President-elect and Vice-President, preparations are in top gear to ensure that the ...
Nigerian entertainers are gradually waking up to create an alternative ventures for themselves as more businesses are coming up. In the past few weeks, it has ...
Nollywood actress, Mercy Aigbe has decided to put her sadness aside as she steps out with her son wearing same designer’s jeans. Mercy despite being fashionable ...
Liverpool's players showed no signs of a hangover from their 6-1 defeat by Stoke on their end-of-season holiday in Dubai. The squad are on a three-day ... Full story