VATICAN CITY (AFP) – A Vatican computer technician accused of helping the pope’s former butler leak secret memos went on trial on Monday, in a case which could expose other whistleblowers within the Holy See.
Claudio Sciarpelletti was being tried in the tiny state’s 19th-century courtroom in what is expected to be a lightning trial as the Vatican rushes to wind up the embarrassing and damaging months-long scandal.
The 48-year-old is accused of aiding and abetting ex-butler Paolo Gabriele, who was sentenced to 18 months in jail last month after he admitted leaking papers alleging corruption and Machiavellian politics in the Vatican.
Cameramen and photographers have not been allowed into the courtroom for the trial and only a small group of journalists have been authorised to attend.
Vatican spokesman Ciro Benedettini told AFP the hearing had begun.
The technician was arrested on May 25 as the investigation into the leaks unfolded but only spent one night in a Vatican cell before being released.
A search by Vatican police unearthed a suspicious envelope addressed to Gabriele in Sciarpelletti’s desk.
In it, they found photocopies of memos published by Italian investigative journalist Gianluigi Nuzzi in his book “His Holiness”, which collected letters depicting intrigue and infighting inside the Vatican.
The book touched on everything from fraud allegations to sex abuse scandals.
Called to account, Sciarpelletti’s testimony was confused and contradictory.
He said Gabriele had given him the envelope because he wanted his opinion on the contents, but that he had never opened it and had forgotten it was there.
He later said it was someone else entirely that had given him the envelope — a person identified in court documents only by the letter “W”.
He also talked about a second envelope, given to him by a certain “X”.
The trial will likely delve into the relationship between the butler and the technician. Gabriele — now serving time in a holding cell within the Vatican — is expected to take the stand to testify to their close friendship.
He was initially accused of giving false testimony, conspiracy to commit aggravated theft, aiding a thief and violating office secrets.
But the Vatican later reduced the charges, saying his alleged role in the leaks is “marginal” and that he faces only a light sentence if convicted after a trial likely to be shorter than Gabriele’s, which lasted a week.
Other witnesses expected to be called include William Kloter, deputy commander of the Swiss Guard and Sciarpelletti’s superior, Carlo Maria Polvani.
Monsignor Polvani is the nephew of Carlo Maria Vigano, formerly the Vatican’s top administrator, who had written letters to the pope which were later leaked alleging corruption in the Holy See.
Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and brief.
Headlines Newsview all
The Campaign for Democracy on Friday asked the British Government to return Nigeria’s looted fund in its custody or be ready to face massive protest. It ... Full story
Auditors appointed by the United Kingdom’s Charity Commission to review the accounts of the UK branch of the popular Christ Embassy, have raised eyebrows over ... Full story
According to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, eleven officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission who supervised the 2015 general elections in Gombe State ... Full story
Rate this article
- Boko Haram Saga : Parents Of Kidnapped Chibok Girls Leave For Cameroon To Confirm Arrest
- LIVE UPDATES: Wike, Amaechi Vote Amid Tight Security in Rivers Rerun (PHOTOS)
- PHOTO: How Top Television Producer Was Found N*ked and Beaten To Death In Beauty Spot
By Abayomi Kalejaye In J. R. R. Tolkien’s epic adventure trilogy, Lord of the Rings, the ephemeral defeat of the villain, Sauron, by the hand of ...
YBNL singer, Adekunle Gold, has opened up on how he switched from his Islam faith to becoming a full fletched Christian. Gold also mentioned that his ...
Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets has signed a new five-year deal with the club. Busquets, 27, has established himself as one of the best defensive midfielders in ...
According to Ghanaian media personality Ameyaw Debrah, award winning Nigerian video director, Clarence Peters, was robbed of his production equipment and other belongings estimated at ...
Face of Idoma carnival, Queen Ashley Yusuf was involved in a terrific motor accident along deadly Lafia - Akwanga road in Nassarawa state on Tuesday ... Full story
Confederation of African Football, CAF, has slammed a five-year ban on embattled Chris Giwa and four four of his disciples thereby confirming and extending the ...
Lazio midfielder Ogenyi Onazi will captain Nigeria in their friendly game against Mali in Rouen, France, tonight. The 23-year-old Onazi is one of the most senior ...
The Garden City of Port Harcourt will this evening play host to Joseph Yobo's testimonial match in celebration of his retirement and centenary appearance for ...
Newly appointed manager of Manchester United Jose Mourinho gave his first interview to the club's TV channel, MUTV. Watch the video below. ...
Former Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama has signed a two-year extension to his contract at Lille, the French club have announced. Enyeama’s previous deal was due to ...