Professor Festus Iyayi of the University of Benin has warned that the stability of Nigeria will be threatened if the problem of youth unemployment is not tackled seriously.
He identified corruption as one of the causes of unemployment in the land, suggesting that stiffer punishments including death penalty should be recommended for those found guilty of corrupt practices, particularly those who had been trusted with public office.
Iyayi spoke at the International Conference on Emerging Democracies in Africa, Challenges and Opportunities on Tuesday in Abuja, which was organised by the National Institute of Legislative Studies.
He noted that a large segment of the population, which is dominated by young persons, was idle, accounting for the various youth restiveness and other social problems in the society.
He said, “The phenomenon of Boko Haram in Nigeria has also been linked to the massive poverty and high rates of youth unemployment in North Eastern Nigeria.
“Youth unemployment becomes even more dangerous when line, now, children of middle class families (the priests of society) also begin to experience high rates of unemployment.
“High levels of youth unemployment can become a significant factor in shaping orientations about the legitimacy of the state: it can this feature in evaluations of regime failure and decisions of regime change. In effect, high levels of youth unemployment pose dangers for the stability of the extant social order.”
Iyayi argued that youth unemployment could lead to frustration and under certain circumstances, feed into violence, noting that such violence might take the form of “insurgency, riots, armed robbery, murder, kidnapping, cultism, suicide, rape, destruction of property, etc.”
Relying on the UN 2013 World Population Prospects, Iyayi said that by 2050, Nigeria’s population is expected to surpass that of the United States and by the end of the century, Nigeria could be the world’s third most populous county with a population of 914million.
“If current labour trends continue and labour market growth continues to consistently outstrip employment growth, then the implications are obvious: the bomb will detonate!” he said.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)