By Ikechukwu Nnochiri
ABUJA — Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, Justice Dahiru Musdapher, yesterday, relinquished his position as Chairman of the Nigerian Body of Benchers, even as Chief Idowu Sofola, SAN, has been elected to succeed him and pilot the affairs of the body for the next one year.
Statutorily, the Body of Benchers is the highest judicial organ with the responsibility of regulating legal practice in the country as well as admitting any person who wants to become a legal practitioner into the Nigerian Bar.
Meantime, a female Justice of the Supreme Court who is the likely successor to the CJN, Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar, was yesterday elected as Vice-Chairman of the legal body.
The election which took place at the Supreme Court was chaired by the CJN and supervised by National President of the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, Chief Joseph Daudu (SAN) and Mr Okey Wali (SAN).
In his acceptance speech, Sofola, who is the first African to be elected as Secretary General of the International Bar Association (IBA), expressed gratitude to former NBA President, Chief Wole Olanipekun, SAN, who he said “kept renewing my membership until I became a Life Bencher.”
Canvassing support from members of the body, Sofola said: “The need for the significant review of the legal profession and all its institutions is imperative.”
He said it was to this end that the Elder’s Committee was inaugurated to review the functions of all legal institutions, regretting that since its creation, the committee is yet to assert its authority.
The new Body of Benchers chairman further emphasized the need to strengthen the powers of the Legal Practitioner Disciplinary Committee (LSDPC).
He said: “The LSDPC should be extended so that the committee will be able to cope with the volume of petitions it gets. At the moment, the Disciplinary Committee appears limited to abuse of professional ethics. What of cases of lawyers guilty of corruption in politics? Shouldn’t we look for a way to address this? If we successfully do self-cleansing, I mean lawyers in practice, what of lawyers that are not in practice? If their excesses are not checked, it could affect the integrity of the legal profession.
“The legal profession must lead the way in societal re-engineering. We, as the conscience of the Bar, must not fail in this onerous task. We need to find sterner penalties for erring members of the profession who are guilty of infamous conduct.
“We must hold all members of the profession to a strict moral code so that the legal profession will retain its pride of place in the society.”
Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and brief.
Latest Nigeria News
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well
- Jibrin Claims: Dogara Bribing Members With $25,000,
- Patoranking Reportedly Denied Entry Into Uganda