By Emma Amaize
WARRI—THERE is apprehension in Abavo community in Ika South Local Government Area of Delta State, following weekend’s dethronement of HRM Uche Irenuma, who was also asked to quit the palace.
Vanguard gathered that there could be bloodshed in the community if the matter was not properly handled, as irate villagers, numbering over 5,000, were set for a showdown, if the king failed to vacate the palace within a particular time.
Investigation revealed that the monarch had contacted the police, while able-bodied youths, from outside the community, had also been allegedly recruited to guard the palace.
Delta State police spokesman, Mr. Charles Muka, who confirmed the tensed situation in Abavo to Vanguard, yesterday, said the police had beefed up security in the town, but did not give details.
The protesting villagers, led by chiefs of the community, claimed that James Okubor, father of the deposed king was wrongfully imposed on them in 1991 by some persons from the Abavo royal family, even when their former bonafide monarch, late Obi S. Jegbefume II, wrote a testament, dated April 4, 1985, saying that his eldest son, Prince Sunday Ekhator, should be crowned as the next Obi of Abavo, whenever he (Jegbefume) joined his ancestors.
A community leader, who spoke to Vanguard on condition of anonymity, said: “James Okunbor died mysteriously five years after and instead of allowing Prince Ekhator to take over the throne of his father, which is hereditary, few members of the royal house ganged up again, and made Okubor’s son, Uche, the Obi of Abavo.
“Now, because of the abomination that was committed, those who committed the sacrilege have been dying mysteriously in the community. More than 10 persons had died so far and the facts of the will, which was written by the late monarch, stating that his oldest son, Prince Sunday Ekhator, should not be denied his rights as his successor, is now public knowledge. So, there is panic everywhere on who will be the next and the people want to cleanse the land.”
The community leader explained that, “one of the prominent members of the Abavo royal family, before he gave up the ghost, last month, confessed that he was the person, who fraudulently altered the royal ascendancy pathway to pave way for the installation of James Okunbor as the Obi of Abavo in 1991.”
After his death, the people went to consult oracles and were told that the rightful heir to the throne of the community was being denied the crown, and as long as it was not given to him, Abavo would continue to witness calamity.
Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and brief.
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well