Zaria (Kaduna State) – Three remaining casualties of the June 17 explosions that rocked two churches in Zaria, Kaduna State, were laid to rest on Thursday in Zaria after a requiem mass at St. Enda’s Parish, Basawa, Zaria.
Addressing journalists shortly after the interment, the Catholic Bishop of Zaria, the Most Rev. George Dodo, said that 16 people lost their lives in the incidents.
He said six persons were members of the Christ the King Church, Zaria, adding that three others had earlier been buried.
The bishop said 10 Muslims, who lived or worked opposite the church, were also killed. This figure does not include the suicide bombers, he said.
“Many of our parishioners sustained injuries from the shattered glasses, falling ceiling and the stampede as people tried to look for escape route,” the bishop said, adding that three had earlier been buried.
Dodo appealed to Northern elders, religious leaders, politicians and traditional rulers to check the rising violent activities of the Boko Haram sect and the reprisal attacks.
“We should realise that the economy of the North and education of our children are being brought backward because of attacks.
“I call on members of the Boko Haram, who claimed responsibility of most of these attacks, to put an end to them and seek redress through dialogue and/or through legal means.
“I call on government to use all available human and material resources to put an end to this untold grief and sorrow brought to bear on people’s lives.
“I call on government to create more jobs and more youth empowerment centres to provide them with skills which will make them more useful and productive to themselves and the society.
“I call on religious leaders to, as a matter of urgency and moral obligation, impact correct teachings of the tenets of our faiths and focus also on the things that unite rather than divide us,” Dogo pleaded.
The bishop charged politicians to play politics with the spirit of sportsmanship to pave way for national growth and development. (NAN)
Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and brief.
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well