Zaria (Kaduna State) – Three remaining casualties of the June 17 explosions that rocked two churches in Zaria, Kaduna State, were laid to rest on Thursday in Zaria after a requiem mass at St. Enda’s Parish, Basawa, Zaria.
Addressing journalists shortly after the interment, the Catholic Bishop of Zaria, the Most Rev. George Dodo, said that 16 people lost their lives in the incidents.
He said six persons were members of the Christ the King Church, Zaria, adding that three others had earlier been buried.
The bishop said 10 Muslims, who lived or worked opposite the church, were also killed. This figure does not include the suicide bombers, he said.
“Many of our parishioners sustained injuries from the shattered glasses, falling ceiling and the stampede as people tried to look for escape route,” the bishop said, adding that three had earlier been buried.
Dodo appealed to Northern elders, religious leaders, politicians and traditional rulers to check the rising violent activities of the Boko Haram sect and the reprisal attacks.
“We should realise that the economy of the North and education of our children are being brought backward because of attacks.
“I call on members of the Boko Haram, who claimed responsibility of most of these attacks, to put an end to them and seek redress through dialogue and/or through legal means.
“I call on government to use all available human and material resources to put an end to this untold grief and sorrow brought to bear on people’s lives.
“I call on government to create more jobs and more youth empowerment centres to provide them with skills which will make them more useful and productive to themselves and the society.
“I call on religious leaders to, as a matter of urgency and moral obligation, impact correct teachings of the tenets of our faiths and focus also on the things that unite rather than divide us,” Dogo pleaded.
The bishop charged politicians to play politics with the spirit of sportsmanship to pave way for national growth and development. (NAN)
Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and brief.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)