The people of Cross River State on Saturday opposed the call for the amendment of Section 214 (1) of the 1999 Constitution to facilitate the creation of state police in the country,
They made their position known at the various public hearings held in the eight federal constituencies of the state.
This came just as the member representing Akamkpa/Biase constituency in the House of Representatives, Mr. Daniel Asuquo, promised that all the resolutions of the people from the various constituencies would be properly presented without distortion.
Some of the participants also argued that the present federal police structure was good enough to handle the security situation in the country.
They, however, said state governors should be given more powers to control the commissioner of police.
A legal practitioner from Akamkpa/Biase Federal Constituency, Mr. Etim Inyang, said it was unfair for state governors to be called chief security officers without any control.
Also, contributors at the Akpabuyo/Bakassi/Calabar South Federal Constituency said the present federal structure of the Nigeria Police Force should remain.
The constituencies also voted for amendment to Section 197 (1) of the Constitution to abolish the state Independent Electoral Commission.
They said the present Independent National Electoral Commission should be strengthened to allow them conduct all elections in the country.
They called for the amendment of the Section 162 (1) of the constitution to abolish the State Joint Local Government Account and to allow local government councils to receive their allocations directly.
A public servant, Mr. John Egba, said the state joint account allocation had crippled the development of rural areas in many states.
He said, “It has reduced the administration of local government areas to a mere annex of the state government,”
The people of Odukpani/Calabar Municipality Federal Constituency also voted for the amendment of the constitution to accord local councils the status of third tier of government with its legislative list.
All the federal constituencies voted unanimously for equality of states among the six geo-political zones of Nigeria.
A former Minister for Health, Dr. Emmanuel Nsa, said there was the need for the amendment of Section 8 of the Constitution to remove ambiguities in the process of creation of states.
“Let us make creation of states easier by advocating a simple majority in the National Assembly so that those who have genuine cases for state creation should have it.
“All the geopolitical zones should have equal number of states,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- Ondo APC Secretariat Now A Shrine, See What Members Did (photos)
- How Adams Oshiomole Wasted Edo?s N1.4 Trillion ? PDP
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover