The people of Cross River State on Saturday opposed the call for the amendment of Section 214 (1) of the 1999 Constitution to facilitate the creation of state police in the country,
They made their position known at the various public hearings held in the eight federal constituencies of the state.
This came just as the member representing Akamkpa/Biase constituency in the House of Representatives, Mr. Daniel Asuquo, promised that all the resolutions of the people from the various constituencies would be properly presented without distortion.
Some of the participants also argued that the present federal police structure was good enough to handle the security situation in the country.
They, however, said state governors should be given more powers to control the commissioner of police.
A legal practitioner from Akamkpa/Biase Federal Constituency, Mr. Etim Inyang, said it was unfair for state governors to be called chief security officers without any control.
Also, contributors at the Akpabuyo/Bakassi/Calabar South Federal Constituency said the present federal structure of the Nigeria Police Force should remain.
The constituencies also voted for amendment to Section 197 (1) of the Constitution to abolish the state Independent Electoral Commission.
They said the present Independent National Electoral Commission should be strengthened to allow them conduct all elections in the country.
They called for the amendment of the Section 162 (1) of the constitution to abolish the State Joint Local Government Account and to allow local government councils to receive their allocations directly.
A public servant, Mr. John Egba, said the state joint account allocation had crippled the development of rural areas in many states.
He said, “It has reduced the administration of local government areas to a mere annex of the state government,”
The people of Odukpani/Calabar Municipality Federal Constituency also voted for the amendment of the constitution to accord local councils the status of third tier of government with its legislative list.
All the federal constituencies voted unanimously for equality of states among the six geo-political zones of Nigeria.
A former Minister for Health, Dr. Emmanuel Nsa, said there was the need for the amendment of Section 8 of the Constitution to remove ambiguities in the process of creation of states.
“Let us make creation of states easier by advocating a simple majority in the National Assembly so that those who have genuine cases for state creation should have it.
“All the geopolitical zones should have equal number of states,” he said.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)