Participants in Anambra State demanded that rotation of the presidency among the six geopolitical zones be included in the constitution.
They also demanded that more states should be created so that all the geopolitical zones would have equal number of states.
They however rejected the proposition that the geopolitical zones be recognized as a tier of government.
They also rejected the calls for the removal of immunity for the president, vice-president, governors and deputy governors. But they voted for a single term of office for them, though the different forums differed on the number of years the chief executives should spend in office.
The participants, who rejected the call for the establishment of state police, called for the scrapping of the state independent electoral commissions, while demanding that the Independent National Electoral Commission should conduct all elections.
While the participants demanded for the autonomy of local governments, they however, said federally shared revenue should not be released to unelected local government officials.
At the Abagana Centre, hosted by Mrs. Uche Ekwunife, the member representing Njikoka/Dunukofia/Anaocha Federal Constituency, the participants rejected the call for the entrenchment of the 35 per cent affirmative action for women in the constitution, but called for a constitutional provision for people living with disabilities.
The participants also opposed a constitutional role for traditional rulers but said the state could make laws to accommodate them.
Ekwunife said she was very excited with the turnout for the constitution review, noting that this time around, the people were actually making their own constitution as opposed to the 1999 Constitution imposed on them by the military.
She said she would forward the proposals made by her constituents to the Constitution Review Committee of the House of Representatives
At Oko, where the forum was hosted by Mr. Ben Nwankwo, representing Orumba North/Orumba North in the federal house, the participants rejected the call for the adoption of the parliamentary system of government proposed by Prof. Bimpe Ike, who said the system was more cost effective than the current Presidential system of government.
They also voted for fiscal federalism where the states would control their resources and pay taxes to the centre, as against the Aguleri Centre where participants from Anambra East and Anambra West who voted for an increase of derivation to 20 per cent.
The constitution review also took place in Awka where Mr. Emeke Nwogbo, representing Awka North/South hosted events and the rest of the other 11 federal constituencies except Ogbaru where the forum will hold on Monday.
Latest Nigeria News
- Ondo APC Secretariat Now A Shrine, See What Members Did (photos)
- How Adams Oshiomole Wasted Edo?s N1.4 Trillion ? PDP
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover