Participants in Anambra State demanded that rotation of the presidency among the six geopolitical zones be included in the constitution.
They also demanded that more states should be created so that all the geopolitical zones would have equal number of states.
They however rejected the proposition that the geopolitical zones be recognized as a tier of government.
They also rejected the calls for the removal of immunity for the president, vice-president, governors and deputy governors. But they voted for a single term of office for them, though the different forums differed on the number of years the chief executives should spend in office.
The participants, who rejected the call for the establishment of state police, called for the scrapping of the state independent electoral commissions, while demanding that the Independent National Electoral Commission should conduct all elections.
While the participants demanded for the autonomy of local governments, they however, said federally shared revenue should not be released to unelected local government officials.
At the Abagana Centre, hosted by Mrs. Uche Ekwunife, the member representing Njikoka/Dunukofia/Anaocha Federal Constituency, the participants rejected the call for the entrenchment of the 35 per cent affirmative action for women in the constitution, but called for a constitutional provision for people living with disabilities.
The participants also opposed a constitutional role for traditional rulers but said the state could make laws to accommodate them.
Ekwunife said she was very excited with the turnout for the constitution review, noting that this time around, the people were actually making their own constitution as opposed to the 1999 Constitution imposed on them by the military.
She said she would forward the proposals made by her constituents to the Constitution Review Committee of the House of Representatives
At Oko, where the forum was hosted by Mr. Ben Nwankwo, representing Orumba North/Orumba North in the federal house, the participants rejected the call for the adoption of the parliamentary system of government proposed by Prof. Bimpe Ike, who said the system was more cost effective than the current Presidential system of government.
They also voted for fiscal federalism where the states would control their resources and pay taxes to the centre, as against the Aguleri Centre where participants from Anambra East and Anambra West who voted for an increase of derivation to 20 per cent.
The constitution review also took place in Awka where Mr. Emeke Nwogbo, representing Awka North/South hosted events and the rest of the other 11 federal constituencies except Ogbaru where the forum will hold on Monday.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)