The Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Odulana Odugade I, and the Central Council of Ibadan Indegenes have called for the creation of Ibadan State and removal of immunity clause from the constitution.
The Olubadan and the CCII, which is the umbrella body of all socio-cultural organisations in Ibadan, spoke on Saturday at the public hearing coordinated by the representative of Akinyele/Lagelu Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Mr. Kayode Busari.
Among others, creation of new states and local government councils, abolition of state electoral commissions, removal of immunity clause, creation of state police, and terms of office of president, governors and local government chairmen topped the agenda of the Ibadan people.
The Olubadan who was represented by the Ekarun Olubadan, Chief Eddy Oyewole, advised the various towns and villages under Ibadan to stand by the resolution of Ibadan in the ongoing public hearing.
He said, “Creation of states, removal or reduction of immunity to the president, governors and local government chairmen and the recognition of traditional institution are very paramount to us as Ibadan people.
“Immunity is very good but has been grossly abused by the elected office holders. Elected officials should be ready to submit themselves for trials if charged for criminal matters.”
Busari, who is a lawmaker on the platform of the Accord Party, said the military designed the 1999 Constitution as the country’s guiding framework without proper consultation and inputs from Nigerians.
He said, “We have all seen that the constitution is due for a review. Many of us don’t even know when the 1999 Constitution was being put together. Our efforts at reviewing the constitution through public hearing today is being replicated in 359 other federal constituencies across the country.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well
- Jibrin Claims: Dogara Bribing Members With $25,000,
- Patoranking Reportedly Denied Entry Into Uganda