In Ogun State, stakeholders unanimously demanded the rotation of the governorship position among the three senatorial districts in the state.
They asked for the devolution of power, removal of immunity clause, autonomy for local governments and abolition of joint account between states and local governments.
The participants also called for the removal of ambiguities in state creation, autonomy for state Houses of Assembly, uniform tenure of local governments and resource control by states.
The Ogun State people also rejected the proposed amendment to Section 135 and 180 (2) of the Constitution to guarantee a single of five, six or seven years for the president and governors.
They argued that the current system of two terms of four years for the respective offices should be maintained.
Although there was a large turnout of constituents for the exercise, political intrigues, underground horse-trading and mobilisation were apparent in the conduct of the exercise, especially over certain issues considered as crucial to governance and the political future of key political actors in the state.
The exercise held in the nine constituencies in the state, including Abeokuta South, Abeokuta North/Odeda/Obafemi-Owode, Ado-Odo/Ota, Egbado North/Imeko-Afon, Egbado South/Ipokia, Ifo/Ewekoro, Ijebu-Ode/Ijebu North-East/Odogbolu and Ijebu North/Ijebu East/Ogun Waterside and Ikenne/Remo North/Sagamu.
Representatives of the various political parties, government agencies, traditional rulers, trade unions, civil society groups, professional bodies, students and market women, besieged the various venues of the exercise, armed with their individual memoranda and agenda.
In many of the constituencies monitored by our correspondent, stakeholders unanimously demanded rotational governorship among the three senatorial districts.
But issues such as creation of state police and indigeneship generated mixed reactions from the participants.
In Sagamu, where the constitution review for Ikenne/Remo North/Sagamu Federal Constituency was held, some local government chairmen vehemently kicked against calls for the scrapping of State Independent Electoral Commissions.
In spite of the fact that the council chairmen’s position contradicted that of the majority of the stakeholders, they vowed to make their separate presentation to the National Assembly through the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria.
The stakeholders had called for the scrapping of the SIECs in order for the Independent National Electoral Commission to conduct all elections, including chairmanship and councillorship polls.
In Ijebu-Ode, the people, who gathered for the exercise in Ijebu-Ode/Ijebu North-East/Odogbolu Federal Constituency, asked for the creation of Ijebu State.
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well