In Ogun State, stakeholders unanimously demanded the rotation of the governorship position among the three senatorial districts in the state.
They asked for the devolution of power, removal of immunity clause, autonomy for local governments and abolition of joint account between states and local governments.
The participants also called for the removal of ambiguities in state creation, autonomy for state Houses of Assembly, uniform tenure of local governments and resource control by states.
The Ogun State people also rejected the proposed amendment to Section 135 and 180 (2) of the Constitution to guarantee a single of five, six or seven years for the president and governors.
They argued that the current system of two terms of four years for the respective offices should be maintained.
Although there was a large turnout of constituents for the exercise, political intrigues, underground horse-trading and mobilisation were apparent in the conduct of the exercise, especially over certain issues considered as crucial to governance and the political future of key political actors in the state.
The exercise held in the nine constituencies in the state, including Abeokuta South, Abeokuta North/Odeda/Obafemi-Owode, Ado-Odo/Ota, Egbado North/Imeko-Afon, Egbado South/Ipokia, Ifo/Ewekoro, Ijebu-Ode/Ijebu North-East/Odogbolu and Ijebu North/Ijebu East/Ogun Waterside and Ikenne/Remo North/Sagamu.
Representatives of the various political parties, government agencies, traditional rulers, trade unions, civil society groups, professional bodies, students and market women, besieged the various venues of the exercise, armed with their individual memoranda and agenda.
In many of the constituencies monitored by our correspondent, stakeholders unanimously demanded rotational governorship among the three senatorial districts.
But issues such as creation of state police and indigeneship generated mixed reactions from the participants.
In Sagamu, where the constitution review for Ikenne/Remo North/Sagamu Federal Constituency was held, some local government chairmen vehemently kicked against calls for the scrapping of State Independent Electoral Commissions.
In spite of the fact that the council chairmen’s position contradicted that of the majority of the stakeholders, they vowed to make their separate presentation to the National Assembly through the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria.
The stakeholders had called for the scrapping of the SIECs in order for the Independent National Electoral Commission to conduct all elections, including chairmanship and councillorship polls.
In Ijebu-Ode, the people, who gathered for the exercise in Ijebu-Ode/Ijebu North-East/Odogbolu Federal Constituency, asked for the creation of Ijebu State.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)