Speaker, House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal
| credits: File copy
The public hearings on the constitution review which held in 360 federal constituencies all over the country on Saturday, has been described as historic just as it witnessed a massive turnout.
Some Nigerians commended the National Assembly for allowing people at the grassroots to participate in the exercise.
In Sokoto State, the Speaker, House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, told journalists that the public hearings were aimed at having a constitution that would stand the test of time,
Tambuwal said this at Tambuwal/Kebbe Federal Constituency in Sokoto State.
He said, “We want to have a constitution which is acceptable and has a long lifespan. The public hearings are also aimed at widening the scope of consultations and inclusiveness.”
The Vice-Chancellor, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, Prof. Riskuwa Shehu, advocated the use of the public hearings to decide national issues.
Riskuwa, in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria, called on the legislators to create time to visit their various constituencies as this would enable them collate the views of their constituents on national issues apart from the constitution review.
In Yobe, Governor Ibrahim Gaidam said the rule of law, good governance and eradication of corruption were more important than the constitution review.
Gaidam advised that people should not lose sight of national priorities which included security, poverty alleviation and promotion of employment as cardinal objectives of the constitution.
The Chief Whip, Plateau House of Assembly, Mr. Timothy Golu said the amendment was “very crucial’’, because it was aimed at the growth and development of the country.
Golu implored stakeholders to be bold to express their opinions.
In Bauchi, Mr. Tukur Adamu, representing Alkaleri/Kirfi federal constituencies, assured his constituents that the deliberations would be delivered intact to the National Assembly.
He described the turnout as encouraging, adding that the observed lapses in the process would be corrected.
In a separate interview with NAN, the Chairman of Kirfi Local Government, Mr. Garba Sabo described the session as an historical event in the lives of not only Alkaleri/Kirfi constituents but the entire nation.
In Rivers, the people of Port Harcourt Federal Constituency, voted for the creation of only one additional state in the South-East zone.
They advocated the recognition of six geo-political zones in the constitution for administrative purposes only.
The people also said no to the indigeneship clause which says that any person residing for a long period continuously in an area is entitled to accruing rights, duties and privileges.
They also opposed the idea of allowing state governments to create local governments and funding them accordingly.
Also in Ilorin, stakeholders who attended the session called for the scrapping of the immunity clause.
They called for the creation of an additional local government in the llorin emirate to bring governance nearer to the people at the grassroots.
They voted in favour of a single five-year term for the president, governors and local government chairmen.
The MagajiNda of llorin, Saliu Mohammed, canvassed the creation of the state police and rejected the creation of additional states and local government councils.
However, the GaladimaNgeri of llorin, Alhaji Umar Adelodun, advocated for the creation of more states and local government councils.
In Zamfara, the Council of Ulamas called for the removal of immunity clause from the nation’s constitution.
Latest Nigeria News
- Electoral Offences: Why Maurice Iwu, 130 Others Must Be Punished Says NHRC Report
- Avengers To Stop Destruction Of Oil Assets Should FG Meet These 6 Conditions
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well