Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufa’i
| credits: File copy
The report of the Federal Government Committee on Needs Assessment of Nigerian Public Universities has revealed the sorry state of facilities in the nation’s public universities.
The report which was presented to the National Economic Council by the Minister of Education, Professor Ruqayyatu Rufa’I, earlier this month, painted a pitiable picture of the Nigerian university system.
According to the report, the condition under which most students study is not conducive for proper teaching and learning to take place.
Apart from being unhygienic, a substantial number of classroom blocks and hostels lack basic amenities.
In spite of this state of affairs, several physical development projects have been abandoned.
Excerpts of the report which was obtained by SUNDAY PUNCH in Abuja, on Saturday, reveal that there are 701 abandoned physical development projects which have been abandoned nationwide.
University of Nigeria, Nsuka and the Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto have the highest number of such projects with 22 per cent and 16 per cent respectively.
The report reads in part, “There are 701 physical development projects dotted across the universities in the country. 163 (23.3%) are abandoned projects; 538 (76.7%) are ongoing projects some of the abandoned projects are over 15 years old
“These abandoned projects are funded through Capital appropriation (Federal and State), Niger Delta Development Commission and Internally Generated Revenue.
“It is noteworthy that while over 60 per cent of the ongoing projects are being funded by Tertiary Education Trust Fund, there is no abandoned TETFund project.”
The report also shows that the NDDC has abandoned all its projects in public universities in the Niger Delta.
It notes that about 84.6 per cent of the projects are student hostels.
The report also gives a list of the affected projects and the schools involved.
They are: student’s hostel, Federal University of Technology, Akure, which reached 20 per cent completion before it was abandoned. Students Hostel, Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun- Nil, Delta State.
Others are: 500-room students hostel, Federal University of Technology Owerri, 35 per cent. Work has yet to commence at the Medical Complex, University of Benin and the students’ hostel as well as laboratory of the Imo State University.
The situation is the same at the Niger Delta University. Work stopped at the 500-bed NDDC Hostel “A and B” after just 10 per cent of work was done.
Work on the students’ hostel in the University of Port-Harcourt reached 25 per cent completion before it was abandoned.
The students’ hostel in the Ambrose Alli University was abandoned after it reached 20 per cent completion
University of Benin students hoping to use the proposed NNDC-funded students’ hostel will have to wait a little longer, the same for the 500-bed students’ hostel at the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba, Ondo State.
Rate this article
Latest Nigeria News
- 6 Guaranteed Politicians Tinubu Would Rely On As APC Crisis Thickens
- Borno State Commissioner Dies In Maiduguri
- 2 New Senators Take Oath Of Office
- Famous American Singer Shares His Touching Experience With A Kenyan Beggar
- Renewed Hostilities: Niger Deltans Say No To Avengers
- Imo Governor Okorocha Gifts Wife With New State Appointment
- I Can?t Predict When Recession Will End Says Finance minister
- NYSC: Corps Member Slumps, Dies After Party With Colleagues
- Properties Worth N1.5bn Traced To Goodluck Jonathan?s Aide
- Buhari Spent 6million On Ear InfectionTtreatment In The UK
- President Buhari Has Lost His Memory Says Fani-Kayode
- Boko Haram Releases New Video, Threaten To Capture Buhari
- Emir Sanusi Buys new N132m Rolls Royce For Sallah
- Dear Avengers, You Are Worse Than Boko Haram, Your Religion Has Condemned You
- Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Delta
- Breaking: Cultists On Rampage,15 Feared Dead In Rivers
- TOUCHING! Meet The 'Okada Man' Who Has No Fingers On His Hands (Photos)
- SAD!Pregnant Woman Dies, Daughter Husband Injured In Car Crash
- Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway Leaves 20 Dead (Photos)
- Ghastly Accident At Ikeja-Along This Morning (Photo)
- SAD! Naked Corpses Of Rape Victims Dumped In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- Top 5 Deadliest Bank Robberies Across Nigeria In 2015 (Photos)
- Notorious Armed Robbers Police Arrested In Port Harcourt (Photo)
- SAD: Vehicle Crushes 4 Year Old Girl In Mother’s Shop In Lagos
- Cult Members Kill 2 Traders Over Toll
- Ooni of Ife’s Coronation Ceremony Begins (Photos)
- Prostitution In Nigeria: 3500 Male Sex Workers Discovered In Abuja
- Deplorable State Of Nigerians Deported From The UK
- Murtala Muhammed’s Uncle, Magajin Garin Kano, Dies At 98
- Funny! Driver Fakes Own Death To Evade Fine In Calabar (Photo)
- Little Girl, Kehinde Adebiyi Suffering From Cancer Needs Your Help
- Port Harcourt As Residents Dig Up Frozen Chicken Buried By Custom Officials
- Wickedness! New-Born Baby Found In A Bush In Ilorin (Graphic Photos)
- Police Shoots Bus Driver Dead At FESTAC/Mile 2 Road, Lagos (Video)
- I Have Forgiven My Critics - Ooni Of Ife-Elect, Adeyeye Ogunwusi
- Student Shot Dead By Alleged Cultists At Imo State University Yesterday
- Woman Gives Birth To A 'Mystery Baby' In Lagos (Photos)
- Touching! One Legged Man Washing A Car While Balancing On A Stick (Video)
- OMG! See The Long Snake Found In A Nigerian Student's Locker (Photos)
- Military Pilot Who Died In Yola Plane Crash Buried (Photos)