Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufa’i
| credits: File copy
The report of the Federal Government Committee on Needs Assessment of Nigerian Public Universities has revealed the sorry state of facilities in the nation’s public universities.
The report which was presented to the National Economic Council by the Minister of Education, Professor Ruqayyatu Rufa’I, earlier this month, painted a pitiable picture of the Nigerian university system.
According to the report, the condition under which most students study is not conducive for proper teaching and learning to take place.
Apart from being unhygienic, a substantial number of classroom blocks and hostels lack basic amenities.
In spite of this state of affairs, several physical development projects have been abandoned.
Excerpts of the report which was obtained by SUNDAY PUNCH in Abuja, on Saturday, reveal that there are 701 abandoned physical development projects which have been abandoned nationwide.
University of Nigeria, Nsuka and the Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto have the highest number of such projects with 22 per cent and 16 per cent respectively.
The report reads in part, “There are 701 physical development projects dotted across the universities in the country. 163 (23.3%) are abandoned projects; 538 (76.7%) are ongoing projects some of the abandoned projects are over 15 years old
“These abandoned projects are funded through Capital appropriation (Federal and State), Niger Delta Development Commission and Internally Generated Revenue.
“It is noteworthy that while over 60 per cent of the ongoing projects are being funded by Tertiary Education Trust Fund, there is no abandoned TETFund project.”
The report also shows that the NDDC has abandoned all its projects in public universities in the Niger Delta.
It notes that about 84.6 per cent of the projects are student hostels.
The report also gives a list of the affected projects and the schools involved.
They are: student’s hostel, Federal University of Technology, Akure, which reached 20 per cent completion before it was abandoned. Students Hostel, Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun- Nil, Delta State.
Others are: 500-room students hostel, Federal University of Technology Owerri, 35 per cent. Work has yet to commence at the Medical Complex, University of Benin and the students’ hostel as well as laboratory of the Imo State University.
The situation is the same at the Niger Delta University. Work stopped at the 500-bed NDDC Hostel “A and B” after just 10 per cent of work was done.
Work on the students’ hostel in the University of Port-Harcourt reached 25 per cent completion before it was abandoned.
The students’ hostel in the Ambrose Alli University was abandoned after it reached 20 per cent completion
University of Benin students hoping to use the proposed NNDC-funded students’ hostel will have to wait a little longer, the same for the 500-bed students’ hostel at the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba, Ondo State.
Latest Nigeria News
- Many Feared Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Another Enugu Community
- Bishop Decries Increasing Insecurity In Kaduna
- CAN Calls Emergency Meeting Over Zamfara And Kaduna Killings
- Breaking New: Two Killed As Army Arrests Killers Of Soldiers In Nembe (photos)
- Police To Use Lie Detector To Select Recruits
- Mr. Chinakwe's Dog, The Sons Of Lucifer And The Seed Of Al Shaitan By Fani-Kayode
- Abubakar Shekau Wounded In NAF?s Sambia Raid
- DEBT RAVAGED STATES: Six Governors Who Are In Serious Trouble (Photo)
- Army And NSCDC Uncover Another Illegal Oil Well In Lagos
- Fight Over Loot Exposes Fake Miracles Syndicate In Enugu
- Why Restructuring Will Never Solve Nigeria?s Problem
- Buhari Ready To Investigate Of Senators, Reps Over N200 billion
- Fulani Housemaid Kidnaps Employer?s Children In Ogun, Turns Them To Beggars In Lagos
- We Have Discovered Another N33trn Stolen Under Jonathan Says APC
- Fayosegate: EFCC Traces Another $5m To Obanikoro And Fayose
- Rio Olympics: Why Dream Team Lost To Germany 2 ? 0 By Ka?oje
- Moghalu To Avengers: IPOB And MASSOB: Embrace Dialogue Now
- Ndigbo, Why Go Back Home When Lagos Offers You More Success?
- Trader Reveals Why He Named His Dog Buhari: I Didn?t Know It Was Offensive
- I Never Received Pension And The Truth About Cars I Received From Dasuki Says Buhari
- You Won?t Believe What Police Recovered From Burglars In Lagos
- 800 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily
- Boko Haram: Group Slams Journalist Ahmed Salkida For Links With Terrorist Group
- Lagos Police Uncovers illegal Oil Wells Inside People's House, Shuts 12 Buildiings (Photos)
- NHRC Indicts Iwu, Uduaghan, Osunbor, Shagari Of Electoral Malpractice
- Electoral Fraud: Maurice Iwu, 2 Ex-Governors, 105 Others Indicted
- Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Government Says MEND
- BREAKING: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu?s Sack
- Pregnant Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Otapiapia In Lagos
- Oil Rises To $45 After OPEC President?s Prediction
- Read How Suspected Car thief Consults His Pastor For Prayers Before Operations
- Dubai properties: Buratai did no wrong ? Lawyer
- Uche Jombo Opens Up On Her Dating History
- Northern Youths Threaten Action Against Anti-Buhari Campaigners
- FG Dialogue Tears Niger Delta Avengers Apart
- Read What Happened To Married Policeman Who Cheated With Married NSCDC Lover
- Appeal Court Dismisses Faleke?s Appeal Against Yahaya Bello
- Woman Suffering From Economic Depression Found Dead In Well
- Jibrin Claims: Dogara Bribing Members With $25,000,
- Patoranking Reportedly Denied Entry Into Uganda